Colombia Thread
^Just out of curiosity, how much money was the argument over?
(06-14-2019, 03:35 AM)natas Wrote: A 29 year old American gringo was assassinated in Medellin today. Happened in the Belen neighborhood, which is typically not a rough neighborhood. They didn't steal anything from the guy, so it seems like it was a targeted hit, which is why I used assassinated.

https://www.elcolombiano.com/antioquia/s...FA10983226

Not sure exactly what the story is behind this, but pretty odd, even for Medellin. A reminder that it's still Colombia, still not the safest place in the world, so always be careful and, most importantly, don't do crazy shit to piss off locals or fuck them over.

Damn, that's just a couple of blocks from where I stayed. What could he have done? Maybe something with girls. Like what happened with David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. He was fucking the wrong girl. Sometimes I worry about that.
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
(06-14-2019, 06:09 AM)Scotian Wrote: ^Just out of curiosity, how much money was the argument over?

Around 17 American Dollars. I gave him 50,000 pesos and then asked for the change. But he told me that I paid him 2,000 pesos, which wasn't the case. Then he didn't want to give back the change.
Jesus Christ, it's pretty hard to confuse a 50.000 note with a 2.000 note. That's the first time I've heard about a fuck up that obvious. That sucks. That's usually why I make sure I ask them before I pay if it's ok if I pay with a 50.000 then hand it to them. Some will probably still try to pull some dumb shit though.
(06-14-2019, 07:42 AM)20Nation Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 03:35 AM)natas Wrote: A 29 year old American gringo was assassinated in Medellin today. Happened in the Belen neighborhood, which is typically not a rough neighborhood. They didn't steal anything from the guy, so it seems like it was a targeted hit, which is why I used assassinated.

https://www.elcolombiano.com/antioquia/s...FA10983226

Not sure exactly what the story is behind this, but pretty odd, even for Medellin. A reminder that it's still Colombia, still not the safest place in the world, so always be careful and, most importantly, don't do crazy shit to piss off locals or fuck them over.

Damn, that's just a couple of blocks from where I stayed. What could he have done? Maybe something with girls. Like what happened with Tito Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. He was fucking the wrong girl. Sometimes I worry about that.

Fucking the wrong girl? What do you mean?
carpe diem
^^^ I think he means banging a chick with a bad boyfriend, or doing a chick dirty who has protective brothers / friends.
"Women however should get a spanking at least once a week by their husbands and boyfriends - that should be mandated by law" - Zelcorpion

Guys, how are you screening/filtering out girls with boyfriends here? Really don't want to get killed over a 6 ghetto paisa Smile
(06-14-2019, 08:04 AM)Beest Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 06:09 AM)Scotian Wrote: ^Just out of curiosity, how much money was the argument over?

Around 17 American Dollars. I gave him 50,000 pesos and then asked for the change. But he told me that I paid him 2,000 pesos, which wasn't the case. Then he didn't want to give back the change.

Same shit happened to me and another time I got a fake 20.000 back, that sucked. Take it as a lesson and in the future try not to pay taxis with 50K notes but if you do, show it to him or tell him you have 50K and ask him to count out the change before you give it to him. It happens to us all bro but try to avoid those tense situations, taxis can be scum bags.
(06-14-2019, 02:07 PM)Scotian Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 08:04 AM)Beest Wrote:

Same shit happened to me and another time I got a fake 20.000 back, that sucked. Take it as a lesson and in the future try not to pay taxis with 50K notes but if you do, show it to him or tell him you have 50K and ask him to count out the change before you give it to him. It happens to us all bro but try to avoid those tense situations, taxis can be scum bags.

Yeah after living in third world for a while it becomes a habit to hold on to your small notes as much as possible. Every time you go to the supermarket you change a big note or in fancy bars/restaurants etc. When in small shops, for taxis, street food etc. you gotta come equipped to avoid this bullshit.
Don't accept damaged bills as change either, if one has a tear in it, taped back together or is just in really bad condition a lot of places won't accept it.
Yeah I meant fucking a girl with a boyfriend who will kill you. I have no idea how to prevent it. It's a good idea not to try to fuck girls with boyfriends in general, i've never actively tried to do that But I had a couple times a girl told me she was married after I already fucked her. When they say they have a boyfriend I usually just figure it's more trouble than it's worth when there are so many single girls. Girls have a lot of power over guys and can make them do some crazy stuff, especially if the guy has already killed people.

And I meant David Ortiz not Tito haha
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
I got into hassle with taxis over the same shit. I also once got followed into the club by the driver when he saw my money clip after buying party favors. He decided that I didn't pay him enough. Moral of the story: money clip not the best for third world countries.
I hate it when you have to use the cash machine in a busy area or theres a line and you withdraw the max, which is often more than most peoples monthly salaries and the machine just keeps pumping out those bills that everyone can hear.

One time I had problems with my card so I had to get money from Western Union in Bogota, I think I got 1000 USD worth of COP and the stack they were giving me couldn't even fit through the glass so they had to break it up, even though I was obviously trying to be as discreet as possible everyone is eyeballing me. I got out of there pretty fast, I didn't want to get robbed on the street.
The travel insurance company is sending me a check for $370 for my stolen iPhone SE. I paid about $450 for it years back. Make sure to always get travel insurance.
(06-14-2019, 03:54 PM)SC87 Wrote: Don't accept damaged bills as change either, if one has a tear in it, taped back together or is just in really bad condition a lot of places won't accept it.

This is a useful point.  The same happens in Mexico.  I had a taxi driver refuse a 50 peso note because it had a little tear in it, but it was accepted without question at a local convenience store.  They will use any excuse to try to scam you.
The policy should exclude electronics in Colombia.
(06-14-2019, 04:27 PM)SC87 Wrote: I hate it when you have to use the cash machine in a busy area or theres a line and you withdraw the max, which is often more than most peoples monthly salaries and the machine just keeps pumping out those bills that everyone can hear.

One time I had problems with my card so I had to get money from Western Union in Bogota, I think I got 1000 USD worth of COP and the stack they were giving me couldn't even fit through the glass so they had to break it up, even though I was obviously trying to be as discreet as possible everyone is eyeballing me. I got out of there pretty fast, I didn't want to get robbed on the street.

My pet peeve is when local banks impose their maximum limit on your foreign card. So I'm stuck with 6K MXN (300 USD) for the entire day unless I want to use a card and get charged FX fees, despite having a 800 USD limit in 'murica. If I go to another ATM even from a different mexican bank, my request gets denied because "you have used your allotted allowance for the day".
Some machines are as low as what like 380K COP? I forget the name right now but I usually use the green ones that's are grocery stores or malls.

For whatever reason my card doesn't work with some banks like Davivienda.

In Mexico I usually use HSBC cash machines or Santander.
you guys need to get a Charles Schwab checking account. They reimburse you every month for ATM fees and foreign tx fees. Not sure why you like your banks trying to give you butt secks.
(07-28-2019, 01:53 AM)mike Wrote: you guys need to get a Charles Schwab checking account. They reimburse you every month for ATM fees and foreign tx fees. Not sure why you like your banks trying to give you butt secks.

Still doesn't solve the main issue.....