TRAVEL TIPS
Star 
[Image: SyCRuKV.jpg]

The more that you travel the more that you learn about people and places, but you also pick up on how to do things better as well as how to avoid some of the bad things out there.  Here is a place to share some of those with the Forum. 

- Have an alternate way to leave the country as a back-up.

- Have both brown and/or a black hide-away belt with emergency cash; wear one of them on the days you are traveling between countries.

- Have a hide-away pouch that fits through one of the loops in your pants that is worn inside the pants (have one brown and one black to match your belt).  In this pouch have a spare credit card (not debit) and cash.

- In your luggage, under the lining near something solid have an envelope with another credit card and some cash.

- Have a zip it pocket sock or pocket underwear.

- Carry a few zip lock bags.

- Carry a small roll of grey duck-tape.

- Carry a Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool in your checked luggage.

- Carry a few spare rubber bands (one of them should be around your wallet).

- Carry a power converter.

- Before you start your trip take a photo of your luggage with you in the photo.

-Take a photo of your debit and credit cards as well.

- Place a plastic bag under the screw caps of soaps and shampoos and tie the bag around the bottle (the contents will then dump into the bag and not your stuff).

- Carry your wallet in your front pocket and place a rubber band around it.

- In your non-wallet front packet have spare cash (especially local currency) and an alternate credit/debit card that you pull out when buying things until you reach your destination.

- Gets some local currency before you depart, but get most of it at your destination (not at the airport).

- Carry two photocopies of your passport; one copy in your carry on and one in your checked luggage.

- Have one day of clothing in your carry-on other than what you are wearing and two extra pairs of underwear.  You can make due for 1-2 weeks with this if you must.

- Use the bathroom and rinse off before going through customs, in case of delays.

- If you are entering a less than friendly country for the first time and do not know your way around at the airport, pump the stewardess, in flight…for information.

- Use the airport limo, hotel shuttle or transport services with official markings if it is your first time in-country and until you know the lay of the land.

- If the hotel/apartment/place you are staying has an in-room electronic safe, wipe down the touch keys with a damp cloth and dry them off before you enter the code. After the door is closed and locked, press each of the other keys firmly that are not in your code.

- If there is no safe, you can put some cash in an envelope and duct taping it under one of the drawers (in the middle) or a BIG piece of furniture (be aware that tape does not adhere to fabric over time as well as wood).

- Favorite secret spot is putting a little cash inside the bathroom shower rod; just do not forget that you put it there.

-Hide things inside the toilet tank with one of your zip-lock bags that has been duck tapped.

- Put things inside of zippered cushions (make sure they are not bulking out).

- Use the inside of your (rental) car to hide or store things.

- Have an old fashioned rubber door stop and wedge it into the entry door of your room when you sleep at night.

- When you go out (day or night) carry a copy of your passport with you and leave your original passport in a secure location (if possible).

- While going out, carry a dummy wallet or spare cash in your other pocket for thieves, but have more cash and a credit card under the inserts of each shoe if you do not have a hide-away belt, inner sleeve pouch, zip-sock or pocket underwear.

- The slower you go on your trips, the less they will cost you.

- When traveling solo, tipping the bartenders well can make a difference in a tight spot. 

- Be moderate in your drinking if you are alone.

- Wear quality, comfortable shoes.  This makes a huge difference as the decades roll by.

- For carry-on only trips try to coordinate your clothes around one or two basic colors.

- Washable silk clothing takes less space and dries overnight (so de certain man-made fabrics).

- Take older clothes that can be discarded on the way.
Get busy living or get busy dying!
Nice thread idea, these are nice little tricks especially in more dangerous countries, but I think many countries a lot of these things aren't necessary. For example, I bought an iphone 5, right when it was available years ago, I've been all over the world and I'm still using the same iphone 5 (i always have it on me).

But I think these are great tips when you are in particularly dangerous countries where the chance of getting robbed is very high.

I think one of the two biggest ways guys end up in truoble while traveling is when they shore (sleep with prostitutes) and when they overdrink in more dangerous places. I will admit I do overdrink at times but usually it's with thc or somebody, not when I'm alone. Drinking alone and drinking a lot can get you in a lot of trouble (even drinking with friends can).
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
"pump the stewardess"
Any one here in the mile high club? Extra points if it was a flight attendant lol

I have a real question. What do you guys mean about a copy of your passport? Like scan it and print it on a printer or is there an official copy? My gut tells me this is great advice!
I used to do some of the things the OP mentioned but after a couple years of traveling I realized that most of these things are totally unnecessary and a waste of energy unless you are going to a super dangerous country. I had my wallet with all my credit cards stolen on my first ever backpacking trip when I was 19 years old. When it happend I was devastated at first. You know how much I lost? A wallet worth 40$ and 20$ in cash. That's it. Reality is that there aren't many things that can happen to you that are really bad. You would have to lose your phone, wallet and passport at the same time at a place far away from the next embassy to really be fucked. But I guess even then there is a way out. The day after I lost my wallet I went to my country's embassy and had breakfast with the ambassador which is probably worth more than the 20$ I lost.

I would much rather focus on minimizing luggage. For me, traveling is now all about maximizing productivity and getting the highest value for your money AND time. All I would suggest regarding saftey is:

- take a picture of your passport and credit cards and send it to your email-address
- leave all your credit cards in a safety box in your hotel when you go out or when you are banging a girl
- have a way to get cash in case you lost your credit cards
- don't be stupid, ignorant or disrespectful when dealing with local people
You can get robbed in any country at any time and if/when you have a problem with your phone or your phone service, many are at a loss. It is good to know alternatives. Staying at five star resorts is great, but people get sloppy over time and forget that people carry weapons in every city around the world and there are those in that city that want what you have.

The idea of Travel Tips is not only security, but also how you maximize your enjoyment when you are traveling.
So just a picture of your passport? Hopefully this doesn't happen but say I lost my passport. What would I do with a picture of it? How far does that get me?
(03-02-2017, 06:35 PM)Shaen Wrote: So just a picture of your passport?  Hopefully this doesn't happen but say I lost my passport. What would I do with a picture of it? How far does that get me?

Go to the embassy and request a new one or an emergency passport. This usually costs money, so if you lost your wallet too, you need to borrow money. Once you have your passport, you can use it to have friends or family transfer you money via Western Union.

You probably won't need a photo of the passport to get a new one, but it helps to know the passport number, date of issue, etc. Same goes for credit cards. Good luck cancelling them if you don't know your credit card number. Alternatively, you could download a software called KeePass on your computer and phone and save all the important information there.
With a (color) copy of your passport (photo included) you can show it to local authorities and that will normally be enough during a problem situation because your identifying information is there. More importantly, they cannot hold your passport because they only have a copy and if you are in a real jam you can get the hell out of dodge because your passport is elsewhere. Why do you think that many of the hotels in Europe (and elsewhere) want to hold on to your passport while you are staying there? Because they can more easily control your movements and you cannot skip out on payment. Pro Tip, authority figures (official and unofficial) generally want to be able to do 2 things with you; control your ass your assets.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure; or for those on the metric system a gram of prevention is worth a kilo of cure. If you have a copy of your passport and you go to your embassy that is normally sufficient to get you something, at least on a temporary basis.

If you only have one credit card and you lose it, cash will continue to be king. If you want to exercise your travel muscles in a different way, here is a thought; try a trip with no mobile phone and see how it goes. Next try a trip with no credit cards. After that you can try a trip with no phone and no credit cards. It forces you to adapt in other ways and when you have a problem in the future, you will more easily adapt and it will open your eyes to other things. Black markets around the world are a gold mine. Most people from North America and Europe have no frame of reference for this as they are not normal. It is understood that many people have no desire to do this or learn such things, like many have little desire to lift. For the bonus, travel with only some cash for emergencies and then barter with silver and gold coins (bring some with you or purchase them in country – try both). This last one is tough, but easier in places like India, Turkey, North Africa, the Middle East, etc. You will learn a lot.
Ok cool! I didn't know hotels hold your passport. I won't be at a hotel in Ukraine. For my first trip ill will be staying with friends. But my second trip I want to go solo and rent an apartment and stay a month.
How much stuff do you carry when you travel? Do you use a backpack or suitcase? How big?

i take a checked larger suitcase when I go to Asia, but I usually have space leftover. When I travel to Latin America on Spirit Airlines, I use my Spirit official size free carry on, that holds enough for shorter trips.
I travel with a backpack and a 20kg suitcase. I used to use a 25 but it costs more in airports and that extra 5kg is a pain in the ass if you have an apartment or hotel at the top of a building (taking the stairs).

An extra travel tip I use to keep my suitcase under 20 kgs is to tie my coats onto the straps of my backpack. I'm always right at the 20kg limit so little stuff like that saves me a bunch.
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
I took only a cabin backpack for my last trip in Asia (7weeks), was around 7kg. I used part of the money saved on the luggage to buy summer clothes in Asia. That's great to travel light in hot countries, will do it again for next trips.
(03-09-2017, 07:30 AM)20Nation Wrote: I travel with a backpack and a 20kg suitcase. I used to use a 25 but it costs more in airports and that extra 5kg is a pain in the ass if you have an apartment or hotel at the top of a building (taking the stairs).

An extra travel tip I use to keep my suitcase under 20 kgs is to tie my coats onto the straps of my backpack. I'm always right at the 20kg limit so little stuff like that saves me a bunch.

This one is golden, it's more expensive to pay the additional charges 5 times than it is too buy new stuff. I started out at <20kg but it always slowly creeps to 25 somehow. Gonna leave some stuff with girls again. 

I got so many stuff left behind all over the world... "I'll be back in a month or so to pick it up" Big Grin
if you want to use a toilet FREE of charge e.g in Europe. . just wait outside for a few mins then when someone comes out hold the door after they open it.
One of the most important things while traveling for me is to feel the people, the situations...
You can have 15 secret zips, credit cards, back ups, back packs, front bags...
We can have lot's of knowledge, information about how to do the things, but if you don't feel the spirit of the city, the company, the bar, the flow... Then all this things doesn't play on max!
To save space in your luggage

Roll up t-shirts, underwear, etc. so they take up less space/you can pack more
For renegade countries, I always carry small american trinkets like bottle openers or magnets to bribe anyone with.. it seems to help.

I have a story of breaking every rule on this thread. After work one friday in Hong Kong, I decided I wanted to spend the weekend in BKK so I booked a last minute flght and hotel (but no my usual hotel) orbitz. I always keep a bag packed for quick travel, but I failed to check the contents. I made sure I had my passport and I was off. Per my custom, I drank all the way to the airport in the taxi, and then hit the saki bar while waiting for the flight. I happened to be on the flight with a couple of buddies where we continued to get smashed. At some point I had texted one of my girls to meet me at the airport.  However, halfway through the flight I realized we were landing at Don Muang and not BKK!  Shit.  Upon landing, I realize I had not turned my phone to airplane mode and now it is dead!  Then it hits me I forgot my charger. Shit. I get through customs and go straight to the ATM because I didn't bring any cash. I try both cards but... I had forgot to go online and open the cards for another country.  Ok, now I'm sitting in Don Muang, I have no money, no phone, no charger, no girl, and I don't know what hotel I'm staying, which doesn't matter because I have no money to get there.

You know what, I'm not going to tell you what I did.

What would you do in this situation???
(11-21-2017, 11:01 PM)k pop Wrote: For renegade countries, I always carry small american trinkets like bottle openers or magnets to bribe anyone with.. it seems to help.

I have a story of breaking every rule on this thread. After work one friday in Hong Kong, I decided I wanted to spend the weekend in BKK so I booked a last minute flght and hotel (but no my usual hotel) orbitz. I always keep a bag packed for quick travel, but I failed to check the contents. I made sure I had my passport and I was off. Per my custom, I drank all the way to the airport in the taxi, and then hit the saki bar while waiting for the flight. I happened to be on the flight with a couple of buddies where we continued to get smashed. At some point I had texted one of my girls to meet me at the airport.  However, halfway through the flight I realized we were landing at Don Muang and not BKK!  Shit.  Upon landing, I realize I had not turned my phone to airplane mode and now it is dead!  Then it hits me I forgot my charger. Shit. I get through customs and go straight to the ATM because I didn't bring any cash. I try both cards but... I had forgot to go online and open the cards for another country.  Ok, now I'm sitting in Don Muang, I  have no money, no phone, no charger, no girl, and I don't know what hotel I'm staying, which doesn't matter because I have no money to get there.

You know what, I'm not going to tell you what I did.

What would you do in this situation???

Maybe ask the staff there if they have a charger you could put your phone on for a few minutes?
Or...use your personality and try to pick up a random girl, and get her to take you home.  Big Grin