Holy shit. You won't believe this...
I think Westerners (Americans especially) tend to have a very weak immune system from overly sterile lifestyles. One shouldnt have to lather themselves in hand sanitizer to avoid common bugs.

As for pollution, long term its probably not good. I got a pretty bad sinus infection when I first moved out here, but havent had any problems since. That said, I dont commute or drive during rushhour. Ive known a few Westerners that had to leave though because their health was suffering so bad.
(06-11-2019, 02:41 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: I think Westerners (Americans especially) tend to have a very weak immune system from overly sterile lifestyles. One shouldnt have to lather themselves in hand sanitizer to avoid common bugs.

As for pollution, long term its probably not good. I got a pretty bad sinus infection when I first moved out here, but havent had any problems since. That said, I dont commute or drive during rushhour. Ive known a few Westerners that had to leave though because their health was suffering so bad.

Exclamation Exclamation  I do as well and they were not faking it to get out of having their pick of boxes to eat or getting out of class 

not a good sign 

I truly believe its mostly the plastic burning at least in SEA (among other things of course) but damn those monkey's burning plastic all day. I'm curious what general area/city BrianMark's friend was living in when he got the crazy lung infection. 

I'm curious to hear 20's experience in the larger Latin Am cities like Santo Domingo if you notice a big difference from SEA or vis versa in terms of environmental factors

*quick edit- while there is, of course, some truth to the hand sanitizer joke you stated, I assure you the westerners get their fair share of microbes there. Hand Sanitizer is, of course, bad in most situations but sanitation of your hands is the least of a westerner worries in SEA. Food Sanitation/ Water Sanitation<purity>/ drinking out of plastic all day which is proven to damage your liver (have you seen how they keep the water bottles stored before you buy them in the hot sun?) the list goes on but again I digress
Yea.. China, Saigon, Jakarta are all pretty bad for pollution. Bangkok is getting up there.

I was out sightseeing in Jakarta on my last day and got a massive migraine headache, I think it was due to a combination of exposure to the pollution and heat. It slowly moved from the top of my brain down to behind my right eye socket area. Shit was a little worrying, but I slept it off.

You’ll also shit water in most of Asia nearly every day. Especially in China, lol. Wouldn’t be surprised if most long term expats develop stomach or colon cancer later on in their lives.
I've been crossing my fingers for VR gf like in the Arnold Swartzenager movie the 6th day from back in the day.
A truly sobering story. Thank you for sharing this.
"It's easy to swing another's dick through thorns." 
- Croatian proverb
(06-11-2019, 03:38 PM)Manufactured_doubt Wrote: I truly believe its mostly the plastic burning at least in SEA (among other things of course) but damn those monkey's burning plastic all day. I'm curious what general area/city BrianMark's friend was living in when he got the crazy lung infection. 

My friend that got the lung infection was in Asia over 10 years.  he lived in many larger cities:  Bangkok, Saigon, Seoul, and China for several years.  Both Cebu and Manila  have serious air pollution.  I would try not to be outside during rush hour because it's even worse.

(06-11-2019, 02:41 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: I think Westerners (Americans especially) tend to have a very weak immune system from overly sterile lifestyles. One shouldnt have to lather themselves in hand sanitizer to avoid common bugs. 

I tend to agree that Westerners have weak immune systems because we don't have to breath this shit.   When I stay longer overseas, I adapt and am not bothered by it as much.  You're then, not getting sick as frequently, but who knows what the long term effect will be.   

You other alternative is stay in West, it clean, not polluted, and you won't get sick, but you won't have that much fun.   So pollution is the price you pay to be where the action is.  

How is the pollution in other parts of the would where we play?   Anyone have info?
Worst in parts of China, Bangladesh, India, Jakarta.
Here's a link to the worst polluted cities in the world. Worst by far is India, followed by China. Honorable mentions for Bangladesh and Pakistan. Manila, Jakarta, and Bangkok are not on the same level as these cities.

https://www.airvisual.com/world-most-pol...=50&cities=

It has nothing to do with immune systems, plastic is not a bacteria. It's just the body's reaction to the pollution. Indians have 30% lower lung capacity than Europeans. 50% of Indian children have asthma. Many will die of lung cancer and heart disease.
(06-12-2019, 04:52 AM)brianmark Wrote: How is the pollution in other parts of the would where we play?   Anyone have info?

Pollution is one thing but the OP suffered a biological infection.

Asians can carry some real deal nasty germs and viruses that Europeans probably aren't immune to.

I went through a phase of constantly catching bugs when dealing with Asian dense areas of Australia but was relatively fine in Europe.
I'll just add this:

I spend about six months of the year in the American Rust Belt. In the last month, I've talked to four people who were diagnosed with Lyme Disease after extended periods of chronic symptoms. I also met someone whose child, after likely being infected as a toddler and not getting diagnosed until the symptoms were very severe in their late teens, eventually committed suicide over their inability to do any of the things they loved anymore.

This isn't even an international travel thing. I get it. You're young and healthy. You don't think it's anything serious and you think that your body will tell you if it is. Still, if you have mild, unexplained symptoms like a weird rash or sinus infection, go ahead and be a tough guy and let it play out if you want, but let a professional examine it anyway and confirm your theory that it's no big deal, because if you're wrong, by the time your body tells you you're in real trouble, there might be nothing you can do about it.