Travel-Friendly Careers
(09-26-2019, 12:03 AM)k pop Wrote: I worked in international schools for many years in Latin America and Asia. It was incredible in so many ways, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

However, nearing 40, I felt the pull for something else. So I moved back to the U.S, knowing full well my serious gaming days were done. I am in the upper midwest, and the talent pool is basically nil. 80% of girls over 25 are overweight, and of the 20% who aren't fat, maybe a handful are worth looking at. Of those, almost all are married and those that aren't are raging bitches.  It is so bad up here that most women snarl at you even if you say hi.  They think it is "creepy."

College girls are completely out of the question even for a fit, attractive and decently moneyed man. Sure there is probably an outlier somewhere, but it is not worth digging in that haystack.

Instead, I came home because the things I like to do (hunting, fishing, cycling, hiking, rebilding motorcycles, breathing clean air) are much harder to do in most places overseas. Of course I miss all the allures, but I prefer now to take a few trips a year and have a stable homebase. I really went overboard in my years abroad, and I prefer a little calm now. However, I know someday I will probably feel that itch to live abroad again. It will probably be the philippines or maybe Mexico or Colombia.

What are you doing for work now back in the US?
I've been so anal on this. I'm a mathematician and I know computer programming too (although not as good as a professional programmer). I work an academic job (researcher) while surrounded by fat women and nerds! I've started looking into data science jobs in L.A. and Europe but I believe it should be possible to start a location independent consultation business.
(10-12-2019, 01:46 PM)gypscholar Wrote: I've been so anal on this. I'm a mathematician and I know computer programming too (although not as good as a professional programmer). I work an academic job (researcher) while surrounded by fat women and nerds! I've started looking into data science jobs in L.A. and Europe but I believe it should be possible to start a location independent consultation business.

Determine and substantiate a need that people are willing to pay money for.

Read "Getting Started In Consulting" by Alan Weiss cover to cover, just to ensure that you are thinking about everything you need to be thinking about.

Build a credible consulting business around that need.

Personally, my opinion on ideal consulting business is as follows. Every business has tasks that need to be performed. It makes more sense for some tasks to be completed inhouse and others makes more sense to be completed by someone who is only engaged on a temporary basis.

For example, certain major projects make little sense to hire a regular employee for, because once the project is completed, there would be no further us for that employee. No point in investing in a hiring process for what is simply a temporary need.

But more importantly, doing certain jobs would be a major undertaking that could last months or years if done inhouse, whereas, a specific outsider could do the same thing in days.

For example, some of the consulting work I've done has involved creating customer curriculum configurations. Usually, this involves combining several published classroom education products with custom materials that blends the different products into one cohesive learning system.

For several clients, I was able to save them hundreds of hours of work by drawing from my own libraries of materials. For example, I have created several thousand vocabulary images, so in a few hours, I can create a large vocabulary flashcard collection for a client. However, if done inhouse, that same task could take weeks or months of employee's time and the loss of potential income while the start of operations were delayed by the wait on having classroom materials ready for teachers' use.

I similarly used other materials from my curriculum library to help clients quickly setup what they needed. They were more than happy to pay more rates because the costs of not quickly solving their problem were a lot more expensive than the fees that I charged.

I suggest that you think in a similar direction yourself.
Dash, to answer your question I'm not doing a whole hell of a lot.  I decided to "settle down" with a foreign woman I met here who has a great job. I had saved plenty of money while living overseas. I bought a couple houses here, remodeled, and rent them out.   I make enough money to break even by finding stuff at auctions to sell on ebay. I repair engines and electronics and also sell them. Really I spend most of my time walking with my dog in the woods, fishing, hunting, rebuilding motorcycles, reading, and basically doing whatever the fuck i want. I'm finishing up a certification in life coaching so will push towards that focusing on helping teachers find jobs overseas. I have a few clients I still help with navigating .cupids in asia and hooking them up with my networks in hong kong, philippines, thailand, and indonesia. I have a lot of boots on the ground there and girls who show these guys around and find them legit dates. I have no desire to get rich. I just don't want to owe another minute of my life to anyone. The very idea of having  a "boss" sickens me.
I posted this info in the Vietnam thread, (https://swooptheworld.com/forum/showthre...8#pid25378) but it should probably go here too. If anyone is thinking about getting into international school teaching, this might be a good time. By the number of messages I'm getting from headhunters trying to fill open positions, I'd deduce that there are lots of people who signed contracts in November and December who are going back on their commitments. I'm just a classroom teacher, but I've had three messages about administrative positions within the last week. That's not normal. It would suggest that we're going to enter a period where schools are going to be looking at underqualified people to fill last minute slots. Proof: I don't have an administrative license.

Anyway, here are some places to start your teaching job search:

Pay:
TIEOnline.com ($25/year)
ISS-Schrole.com ($75)
SearchAssociates.com ($150)
CarneySandoe.com ($? [I don't remember])
https://teachoverseas.uni.edu/fair (Pay to attend the fair)

Free:
SchoolSpring.com
TeachingNomad.com
SeekTeachers.com
Careers.NAIS.org

You can also go to school's websites and apply directly on their HR pages. I've gotten two jobs by doing that.  Here is the current salary package information for all schools signed up with Search Associates. There are HR and director emails for each school:

.pdf   (1) Search Associates Packages.pdf (Size: 1.55 MB / Downloads: 4)

.pdf   (2) Search Associates Packages.pdf (Size: 1.49 MB / Downloads: 2)
I think Swoopers should take the career path that is most lucrative for them.  Remain unmarried and childless and invest your disposable income with an eye towards early retirement.

Take three or four international vacations a year to learn the countries and regions you like.

Aim to retire early and live off of the passive income your investments and business interests generate for you.

Yes, this means you will be middle age when you relocate abroad, but it gives you far more financial wherewithal, life experience, and options to enjoy when the time comes.
Favorite Countries:  Finland, Latvia, Ukraine, Serbia, Montenegro, Georgia, Japan, Argentina.

Countries For Future Travel:  Norway, Sweden, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bosnia, Macedonia, Moldova, Uzbekistan.
I can't believe nobody mentioned FinTech startups and Blockchain.
It's literally a money making industry still in its infancy.
So many opportunities and tons of money to be made working from wherever you want.
(Yesterday, 09:39 PM)Originale Wrote: I can't believe nobody mentioned FinTech startups and Blockchain.
It's literally a money making industry still in its infancy.
So many opportunities and tons of money to be made working from wherever you want.

Blockchain as in shitcoins and scams or something more concrete? Throw some examples out for those of us who haven't considered this option.

Is it something that you are doing right now as a career and/or getting good cash flow from?