Dating in Latin America without speaking Spanish?
(05-28-2019, 06:09 AM)Scotian Wrote: ^The vast majority of RVF guys are not dating the upper crust Ivy League equivalent in any country around the world, those chicas are dating within their social circles mostly, not hooking up with random tourists. In a place like Colombia, there’s tons of working class type girls who are attractive and as Rottenapple mentioned, they don’t speak much English. I do agree with you that if a guy is able to snag a high class girl then yes she’ll probably speak English well. This is much more likely to happen in Bogota than say Medellin or Cali.

Yeah, I was about to say something similar to this reply. In the post Scotian is replying to, the poster didn't seem to give any reference to specific countries, areas, or state that this was from actual experience.

In my experience in Mexico City, there are multiple layers. There is a very high class (watch Made in Mexico on Netflix) which all speak Spanish and English and may have gone to US universities. This is a really tough social scene to break into and I have not really even encountered it except for randomly meeting a couple of people from this class. I would say that these people hang out in Polanco and some in La Condesa but they don't mix much outside private parties. I have met a couple of minor TV actresses and I really couldn't pull from that group.....yet.

Now, there is a class below this, of just really hot girls that maybe have resources but are not 'Ivy League' level and these are the girls that do not speak English well because they don't have to. This is of course an 80/20 rule and some of these people speak english well. 

The actual 'Ivy League' college scene of Mexico is somewhat different, you have the students of the two top public universities that are both located in the Mexico City metropolitan area, UNAM and UAM. Then you have the top private school, Tech (UTM) in Monterrey which is expensive. 

I have dated students from all three of these schools. the UNAM/UAM students are often from modest means as there is no direct tuition if you are accepted to the university. These chicks are aspirational, speak english well, again 80/20, and may be open to dating foreign men, older in my case.

I have been going here since 2014 and started with minimal spanish and I'm conversational but have a hard time understanding TV, depending on the topic and speaker's accent. When I first started going I ended up meeting a lot of students on okCupid (this was 2014) but now I usually just hang out in La Condesa and do a lot of things and have pulled girls right off the street. I am 49 and usually wear a suit with no tie or something close to this level to advertise a bit. It works. I get IOIs on the street.

Mexico City is large and diverse enough that you are going to encounter all kinds of english levels, chicks, and I am just getting to the point where I can open in Spanish and I'm seeing a whole new world open to me. I am probably going to buy a car soon and keep it near Puebla where I know some people so I can roam central Mexico,

I took a few week or two week long classes at different language schools and have done about 50 hours on italki.com which is a great resource but I had to go through about 10 teachers/tutors until I found a teacher and a couple of tutors that really pushed me to improve.

I like what billydingdong said about the more feminine or traditional girls not speaking as much english, the ones that don't speak as much english seem less corrupted. However, I have watched the smartphone thing happen since 2014 and it has been a seriously negative influence on the mental health and personalities of Mexican girls that I have met, regardless of language.
G
My Spanish is at a level were I can flirt with girls and go on dates in solely in Spanish as well and obviously get by with the other life basics. I'm not fluent but once I achieved this level I starting lacking motivation to improve, I'm going to start practicing again because being fluent in Spanish unlocks a ton of doors.

A couple years ago before I could really say anything I was at a club in Latin America and probably the hottest or one of the hottest girls in the club comes up to me and starts talking, grabs my drink and starts drinking some of it while blabbering on about something, after a couple attempts of trying to talk to me she becomes frustrated and fucks off back to her friends. It sucked to miss out on potential bang with a hottie because of my inability to understand her.

The top tier girls in LA don't want to be seen with tourists, it will wreck their image, plus they have a million moneyed up Juan Pablos as suitors.
It depends on the location indeed. I personally think that in Ecuador/Colombia/Peru the hottest girls are coastal girls, which in Ecuador and Colombia means on average poorer girls (not from Bogota or Quito). Besides them Venezolanas off course (even poorer). Then if you have a preference like myself for a bit darker skinned girls it explains my reasoning, but if you like whiter girls then maybe the indigenous looks from the capital cities are preferred. So yeah, gotta take my comments with a grain of salt and see what the national context is like.

In Africa, for instance, the top class speaks better English/French that's for sure.
(05-28-2019, 05:06 PM)SC87 Wrote: It sucked to miss out on potential bang with a hottie because of my inability to understand her.

You're right it does, but if a girl is all over you, especially in a club, you should be able to get her with limited Spanish if your body language is good. Lead her better, be more physical and use Google translate. In my experience Colombian girls usually get frustrated if you use Google translate, but if they're super into you then they'll deal with it.

^ This is true for getting laid, but if you can't speak Spanish it's hard to keep girls around unless it's 100% a sexual relationship.
(05-28-2019, 10:25 PM)mike Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 05:06 PM)SC87 Wrote: It sucked to miss out on potential bang with a hottie because of my inability to understand her.

You're right it does, but if a girl is all over you, especially in a club, you should be able to get her with limited Spanish if your body language is good. Lead her better, be more physical and use Google translate. In my experience Colombian girls usually get frustrated if you use Google translate, but if they're super into you then they'll deal with it.

^ This is true for getting laid, but if you can't speak Spanish it's hard to keep girls around unless it's 100% a sexual relationship.

There was a lot of other girls around and I was supposed to meet some Tinder girl there (who I did end up banging that night) so I wasn't too concerned. This was in Ecuador where the girls are significantly uglier on average but they seem to initiate more.
I was in Mexico City in the fall of last year and I experienced much of the same that everyone else is mentioning. Unless you want to settle for generally mediocre girls (online) who probably have been on dates with every Tom, Dick and Harry that comes through Zona Rosa, then understanding and speaking Spanish to some degree is necessary. The Tinder girls sure let you know though if they are in the market for some gringo blood though, or at least targetting the tourists. 90% of the time they will have their bio written in English.

I went on a date with a flight attendant with a national airline during my trip there and of course she spoke great English. I had a flight to the Baja the next day early so i ended up asking her if I could stay at her apartment which was near the airport so I could just walk to the terminal instead of fighting the notorious shit storm that is MExico city traffic. Unfortunately she wouldn't put out even though i was grinding against her fat ass all night in her bed but i think she either saw me as dating material and wanted to string me along or she was on the rag. Either way i didn't want to push my luck in case she kicked me out and left me wandering the ghetto ass apartment complex where she lived. She flies to Canada sometimes so if she comes back I ll see if I can fuck her. It was pretty funny walking around Centro Historico as I am a tall blonde guy and a few of the guys manning the taco stands and shops in that area were talking shit to her that she was walking with a foreign guy.

Definitely worth it to learn some Spanish and try to penetrate some of the higher end circles, but unless you are actively in a Spanish speaking country I find its hard to keep on learning it.
Any tips/advice for CDMX? I’m heading there soon and plan on staying in or near Roma Norte.
(05-29-2019, 01:32 AM)Scotian Wrote: Any tips/advice for CDMX? I’m heading there soon and plan on staying in or near Roma Norte.

Hit up the Museo Soumaya, its a private museum funded by Carlos Slim. It's got about 5 floors of cool artifacts, ivory sculptures, and generally some cool looking art. Well laid out and is usually full of some fly looking girls aswell. Just make sure you don't go on a Sunday as i think its free to all Mexicans so it might get full of annoying kids.

Take Uber everywhere. Dirt cheap. Heard from a couple guys who had bad times with flagging taxis from the street. Granted they were all piss drunk at night when they got robbed but I d avoid them. The subway is also not bad and sometimes alot faster than driving. Its a fucking zoo on it though and gets crowded but its fast and reliable.

If you want to get drunk on a boat then you can hit up the Xochimilco Canals in the southern edge of the city. I went down there to have a look but ended up going to the wrong side of it and ended up in a sketchy area where the locals were mean mugging me and following me and my buddy around, but if you go to the right area of it you can hop on a narrow little boat and it will take you to a bunch of floating stores and markets in the canals. 

There is also a fucking sweet indoor GO kart track they built recently thats in in Mall in Polanco (GoKart Mania) For about $40 canadian you can do about 20 laps around a course, and if you are racing against someone at the end they will give you a print out of your best lap times, and average speed. I would highly recommend it if you got the need for some speed.
Awesome tips man that exactly the type of stuff I was looking for thanks!
Easiest way to become conversationally fluent in Spanish (aka pick up girls entirely in Spanish):

DO PIMSLEUR

This is the easiest (and best) way to learn a language.

The focus of Pimsleur is speaking, which is what you want - not reading, writing, grammar, etc.

Do one, 30-minute audio lesson a day (e.g. when you're driving) and you should be able to have conversations by the time you finish all the levels

https://amzn.to/2VWQhvc

======

After that, I recommend doing in-person language exchange as much as possible.

Google for relevant websites or try Meetup.com

They learn English, you learn Spanish

P.S. Proof I know what I'm talking about:
https://swooptheworld.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=298

20Nation and THC can also attest to my Spanish skills, especially when I am in a taxi not sober lmao
New Post:

Daygame in Korea

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)
^ Pimsleur is good, except torrent it instead of buying it obviously.