Strategies for acquiring a cheap condo?
Whenever I've travelled overseas, most recently Manila, I've always used AirBnb and typically was paying around 30-45 AUD p/night which adds up to around $350 give or take p/week. Sometimes i could find a cheaper place but if i wanna stay in Gramercy or Knightsbridge etc thats how much it costs. 

But for long term staying (1-3 months) I feel like i would be over paying by using AirBnb. 

Does anyone have a better way to find a good condo for a cheaper price OR is AirBnb still the best way? 

Thanks in advance
The best way varies by country. Best way to find out is to pipeline and get a girl to look into it for you. She will ask around with friends and family and find the local way
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
(08-20-2018, 03:19 PM)20Nation Wrote: The best way varies by country. Best way to find out is to pipeline and get a girl to look into it for you. She will ask around with friends and family and find the local way

well, in manila I had no such luck most girls i asked would tell me to search online and didnt know shit. Realtors are a little better. I got one offer for a condo in mkaati for 600 a month, but im no longer there. 

I personally paid 700 a month by negoating off aribnb. 

gramery only costed me 250 for a week. you are way over paying like holy siht 350 a week. do you pick the most lavish places??
Whether to use AirBnB kind of depends on the length of your stay. The daily rate is usually never good for longer stays, look for the monthly rate. Many places will offer a monthly discount like 20% or more, look for those. Can even message them for negotiating like mentioned by Duke.

AirBnB is good because it includes utilities. Just be sure any fine print doesn't try to exclude them. Yes you will find cheaper monthly rates through a conventional rental, but then it doesn't include the utilities and you have to set those all up and include it in your costs, plus security deposit, etc. A good rule of thumb to go by is, 6 months or less, look for AirBnB monthly with % discount, over 6 months then try regular rental and set up utilities.
Yeah I usually tried to hit 400$ to $600 a month while i was there.
Yeah I’ve realised I’ve spent too much but gotta remember the Aussie dollar sucks comparing to the US. 350 AUD = 250 USD so it sounds more but it isn’t really

I’m curious, in Manila which building were your favourite for everything location, bringing girl back, price etc etc

I like Knightsbridge or jazz the best but aqua is the best cheap place too bad it’s not good for girls since it’s difficult to get too
The city expat facebook group would be the best place for info along with locals you know. But usually for those deals probably going to have to rent long term.
I have a secret spot I don't want to hype so I can stay there next time I'm in Manila. It's perfect for everything I'm looking for.
I am paying 150 a week for air bnb near IT park right now. I told him i loved his place and was wondering if i could rent it out for a month at 400. Plus i pay for utilites internet and cable. So like 470 a month in a brand new condominium 5 min walk from IT park. 

Dont do acqua, i did acqua for a month and killed me inside. 

1. You will have to taxi just to go anywhere decent. 

2. I told girls, that i was in makati. They would be like whats your address. The address has Manadolyoung in it. Then they go oh thats far. Then i go no its right over the makati bridge like 2 minute ride from gramercy. 

3. I ended up not saving $$ because i would do honest bee food delivery for every meal. If you stay at gramercy you can eat street food for like 6 bucks a day.  

4. Get someone to give you gramercy for 700 usd a month, thats a steal. Plus every club sluts knows gramercy.
(09-03-2018, 05:24 PM)Duke.33 Wrote: I am paying 150 a week for air bnb near IT park right now. I told him i loved his place and was wondering if i could rent it out for a month at 400. Plus i pay for utilites internet and cable. So like 470 a month in a brand new condominium 5 min walk from IT park. 

Dont do acqua, i did acqua for a month and killed me inside. 

1. You will have to taxi just to go anywhere decent. 

2. I told girls, that i was in makati. They would be like whats your address. The address has Manadolyoung in it. Then they go oh thats far. Then i go no its right over the makati bridge like 2 minute ride from gramercy. 

3. I ended up not saving $$ because i would do honest bee food delivery for every meal. If you stay at gramercy you can eat street food for like 6 bucks a day.  

4. Get someone to give you gramercy for 700 usd a month, thats a steal. Plus every club sluts knows gramercy.

Oh yeah, $150 is about $220 AUD. Im going to try and aim for around $250 AUD p/week max from now on. 

Yeah regarding Aqua, its great if your essentially living with a girl (like I was at the time). Its cheap and very comfortable but its terrible if your going for a bang mission. The logistics are set up for long term living with a girl. 

Personally, my favourite buildings for a bang mission would be Jazz or Knightsbridge. They are both set in good locations and both have shops/cafes etc very close which is ideal for the first date. 

I found Gramercy is too expensive and its on the strict side which I wasn't that keen on. Its still good though
I never tried air bnb. If you plan to stay for a 1 to 4 months period, i can recommend a shared apartment or cohousing.

I Brazil i lived in a house in the beginning of a favela with 5 other people. I had my own room, a shared kitchen and bathroom. 

Made some good friends this way, its cheap and without long term obligations.
There are a few ways to reduce your accomodation costs.

If I like an AirBnB flat after spending one week there, I may negociate directly with the owner to get a deal for a month (at least the monthly rate minus AirBnb fees). The AirBnb fees represent around 15% which are pure lost money if the owner is trustable. You can save those at least, and maybe more for 3 months, if you are happy with the flat. Usually, owners are also quite happy to have cash in hand. Smile

You can negociate a nice monthly rate with some hostels. The main problem with hostels even if you book a private room is you can get cockblocked with the receptionnist. Worth it only is you become friend with the guys running the hostel. Doable in some hostels in South America. Seems harder in SEA.

Facebook groups. Taking the lease of someone leaving the town before the term of their contract can give you amazing deals. I got a nice flat in a a very good location in Bangkok for around $300 per month for just a 4 months contract. I got the rate of a long term contract (the guy who left had a 1 year contract and left after 8 months) and it was already a great deal. You need to be lucky and flexible but it can do wonders.

Asking locals might work but it is not as efficient as it seems in practice. Locals don't have the same needs as expats in terms of accomodation in my opinion. Mainly works if you have spent a very long time in a place and have a good social circle.