How you guys make your travel $ ?
Hey guys, 

Many of you are traveling for a really extensive period of time there. 
I'm curious how you do it, as well for location independent guy as expats who "settle" in a country. 

Here is how I do it (for now) : 

At home (6 mouths) :
- I work for 6 mouths as a manager in a hotel up to 60 hours a week (great work to meet girls by the way).
- I do some freelancing (building websites, seo...) hustles  by the side. 
- I own a small studio that I rent when I hit the road.

On the road (6 mouths) :  
- During the 6 mouths of travel I keep on doing some freelancing by the side.
- The rest of the time I visit the country and its hot women. 

So my lifestyle is now 6 mouths of traveling and 6 mouths of working which i think provide the best balance (making some serious $, keeping a base, easiness to transition from one lifestyle to another...). 
I found non stop traveling tend to be not so appealing after a very long time (+6 mouths). 

How you guys pull it off ?  

What's your travel lifestyle ?
I'm a mid 30s American who lives in Gdansk, Poland.

I made my $ by following the Mr. Money Mustache method ( https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ ), which is basically investing as much of your income as reasonably possible into the broad stock market (S&P 500 and MSCI EAFE index funds).

Once you have 25 times your annual expenses that you plan to have abroad, in the broad stock market, you can then stop working, and live off the capital gains & dividends (4% safe real withdrawal rate).

I haven't done any serious work for nearly 3 years now.
Visa Tips | LTR Lessons | Take what everyone (including I) say on here with a grain of salt. This is a mostly anonymous Internet forum. Don't eat paint.
(03-12-2018, 04:52 PM)262 Wrote: I'm a mid 30s American who lives in Gdansk, Poland.

I made my $ by following the Mr. Money Mustache method ( https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ ), which is basically investing as much of your income as reasonably possible into the broad stock market (S&P 500 and MSCI EAFE index funds).

Once you have 25 times your annual expenses that you plan to have abroad, in the broad stock market, you can then stop working, and live off the capital gains & dividends (4% safe real withdrawal rate).

I haven't done any serious work for nearly 3 years now.

Long term investing in the broad stock market is common (and good) advice. But keep in mind the bull market in US stocks just turned 9 years old. It's been above average returns for S&P 500 investors for quite some time. That will continue to last as long as it lasts... and then it will be a different song. 

Some math.. assume your average monthly expense is $1500, equating to $18K per annum (USD), so basically if you have $450K tied into S&P 500 or equivalent index fund. You can live off the divs/ cap gains, assuming you're gonna clear 4% return per year (very feasible). This may fluctuate with the market (up or down). Though if an unforeseen world event or excessive fed tightening causes a steep downturn in stocks, you better be prepared to ride out the wave. 

That said, if I'm sitting on nearly half mil (in equities), not sure I could psychologically handle living on $18K per year. More money more desires...
Yup. Couple things that help me though:

1) I've got a bit of a buffer beyond my expenses, by saving a bit more, and by spending less than I projected (apparently typical for retirees),

2) I can always do some work - either online or in real life - if necessary. In fact, I have so much free time, I sometimes actually do some easy online work now, even though I don't have to. All play and no work actually makes Jack a dull boy too!

3) If I wanted to spend more money, I've got plenty of time to convert into money. Plus, I can take enormous risks with that time, which could yield high monetary rewards, since I've already got my normal expenses covered.

4) Most importantly, I've realized that desires are endless. Most folks get a hint of that when they finally get something they've long wanted, then later, take it for granted, and want something else and/or more. What most folks don't realize is that cycle can be endless and/or self-destructive, unless you think about it.

I will give a caveat that you didn't though. Depending on your working income & investing rate, accumulating enough in the broad stock market can take many years.
Visa Tips | LTR Lessons | Take what everyone (including I) say on here with a grain of salt. This is a mostly anonymous Internet forum. Don't eat paint.
24 year old American guy checking in here.

I have a decent amount of money saved up from working my butt off through school. I do freelance SEO work remotely in SEA so I don't have to touch my savings. I have to do something productive or I go crazy. I view this as a blessing and a curse.

Currently writing a ton of content for my Amazon affiliate website(s) to build a fully "passive" income source that can cover my nut ($3k/month) while I work on a real business that solves a big problem.

I really hate being a freelancer and trading time for money. Don't do that.
What I make from Swoop the world, but its not longer enough. So now I am focusing on being a programmer. Also my future trips I want to do in style. Baller Wink. Also as you get older, women kind of expect you to have money so doing what I was doing before is just more difficult. But for younger guys I would say just to be a budget traveler and have the time of your life. Not having a lot of money is no excuse not to travel.
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
I have a regular job at a junior college that me a decent full-time income and gives me a few months a year to travel (i have the same schedule as students).

However, i have also built an online business that i can live from if i really wanted to leave my current job. I have a few overseas foreign virtual assistants that runs daily operations for me. My online business takes me 1h per day on average. If i put in more time, i could increase it even more.

Instead of spending the profits of my online business, i use a large part of it to invest into real estate so that i can retire from my current job in 5-10 years instead of 20 years and never have to worry about money again!
(04-26-2018, 02:33 AM)20Nation Wrote: What I make from Swoop the world, but its not longer enough. So now I am focusing on being a programmer. Also my future trips I want to do in style. Baller Wink. Also as you get older, women kind of expect you to have money so doing what I was doing before is just more difficult. But for younger guys I would say just to be a budget traveler and have the time of your life. Not having a lot of money is no excuse not to travel.

I'm impressed that you make enough money from Swoop the World to travel as much as you do. 

I make money writing about furnaces and ophthalmoscopes... you make money writing about banging girls from all over the world.

What type of programming are you going to do?