A fuck you moment
So I had a meeting to get my bonus at work on Tuesday which wasn't actually a bonus but more of a way for the upper management to try to control their slave workers. I work(ed)  for a financial company as a portfolio manager. So my boss hands me the paper, and I looked at it and he said the same bull shit as each time: we're happy with your work so we got you a some extra." Then he said so what do you think about it" I said the stock market just had one of its best years ever due to Trumps tax cuts. The companies
 clients made $150 million in 2017, which means our company made millions in fees (and its only a 10 employee company with 5 investment people.)  This is disappointing that in such a good year this is all I could get. The fucking Ceo of my company then said to me "you millennials think you deserve to make all this money. I didn't make 6 figures until I was 45. I said that was 20 years ago. The cost of living is higher. I work very hard for this company. He said I don't even know what you do.  So they said what's your number. I said that I wanted $10k more. The Ceo said to me "$10k means nothing to us. It's an insignificant amount but we aren't going to give you anything because we don't have to." I looked at him and said thanks and left. Now for 3 days I have gone into work and my boss hasn't said one word to me. He also hasn't given me any work. I am waiting for my bonus to post next Tuesday and then I am quitting in moving to Asia. It was a scary, yet exhilarating situation knowing I am leaving the the 9-5 rat race hopefully for good or at least for along time since I have been saving for a while with this move in mind.  I am booking my flight next week to go look at condos in Cebu, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ho Chi Minh, and Bali.
That's what I'm talking about!  Get off that slave train, hampster wheel, living second hand bullshit.

You have the skills to strike out on your own. That robotic douchebag did you a favor. Fuck him and all his plastic fucktard cronies. They wouldn't know an asian pussy if it landed on their facelift.

You did the right thing.
This boss is now in the past for you.

Forget about him, he's just negativity in your life.

Sounds like you've already started planning now, for your more vibrant future.

Keep it up. Enjoy that instead.

Finally, as someone who left the corporate world nearly three years ago, welcome to the club!
(03-08-2018, 12:51 AM)Traveltothemax Wrote: So I had a meeting to get my bonus at work on Tuesday which wasn't actually a bonus but more of a way for the upper management to try to control their slave workers. I work(ed)  for a financial company as a portfolio manager. So my boss hands me the paper, and I looked at it and he said the same bull shit as each time: we're happy with your work so we got you a some extra." Then he said so what do you think about it" I said the stock market just had one of its best years ever due to Trumps tax cuts. The companies
 clients made $150 million in 2017, which means our company made millions in fees (and its only a 10 employee company with 5 investment people.)  This is disappointing that in such a good year this is all I could get. The fucking Ceo of my company then said to me "you millennials think you deserve to make all this money. I didn't make 6 figures until I was 45. I said that was 20 years ago. The cost of living is higher. I work very hard for this company. He said I don't even know what you do.  So they said what's your number. I said that I wanted $10k more. The Ceo said to me "$10k means nothing to us. It's an insignificant amount but we aren't going to give you anything because we don't have to." I looked at him and said thanks and left. Now for 3 days I have gone into work and my boss hasn't said one word to me. He also hasn't given me any work. I am waiting for my bonus to post next Tuesday and then I am quitting in moving to Asia. It was a scary, yet exhilarating situation knowing I am leaving the the 9-5 rat race hopefully for good or at least for along time since I have been saving for a while with this move in mind.  I am booking my flight next week to go look at condos in Cebu, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ho Chi Minh, and Bali.

So let us know if he gave you some bonus before you leave.

Or isnt he going to give you anything?
So yesterday he came to me and said we need to clear the air. So we sat down and he said I have been doing all you work all week. I said well you sent all my work to my coworker instead of me... He said well I was waiting for you to come appologize. I said excuse me? I did nothing wrong. I was waiting for you to appologize for being so disrespectful. He went on to spew some bulls hit about how he gave me a chance and an opportunity and how I basically owed him my life as if to say for the rest of my career 35+ years, I would be his underpaid little bitch slave, just because he gave me my first real job in finance. The whole situation just got more bizarre and unbelievable. Finally he realized I was never going to bend over and take it in the ass, so he fired which is great because now I get unemployment. After he fired me he then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to take the vacation days I had already accrued before I left???  I looked at him with a puzzled look and said you just fired me... I want to be paid out obviously.  Now the bonus is questionable. In the heat of the battle I forgot to ask. It is suppose to post Tuesday. He claimed they would  it try to screw me but we'll see. It's not gonna make a difference about my plans regardless.
that pathetic little douche. i hope he chokes on his microcock as he tries to fellate himself.

he did you the biggest favor of your life. get the fuck out
Enjoy your vacation.

What's your plan for the next five years?
(03-12-2018, 05:02 AM)Suits Wrote: Enjoy your vacation.

What's your plan for the next five years?

Buy several condos and start renting the. Trade cryptocurrencies and stocks. Sell some books that I wrote over the past 5 years on trading and write some more. If I really need to I can teach tennis to tourist or work for a hotel over there teaching tennis but that's a last resort type of situation although certainly more lucrative than teaching English. I also want to import some stuff to the US and sell there.

My bonus posted today so it's all good. I already started selling my belongings yesterday.
yes! get the fuck out and keep us posted.

I'm at NRT right now en route to Manila and I feel like I'm emerging from a coma. The thrill of new smells, faces, and sensations is really beyond description. Until you're suffused in that moment its like smoke--you can reach at it but never touch it. Well its time to touch, and I encourage everyone to do what they can to get out there. Travelmax is doing it. What's stopping you?
How long will you be there K Pop? I am planning to come to the Philippines in the next month.
I will be here until April 1. Come on over.
dude, you say whaaat?
I speak here as a boss myself, who's employees are always demanding more money and being told no (they are paid market rate).

You just said that the huger profits are due to Trump's tax cuts. So what did YOU bring to the company this year, OVER AND ABOVE what you've done for the last X years?

If you've personally provided extra value this year which led directly to the company making extra profits equivalent to ten times the bonus you are asking for, then your boss is most certainly a fool for being tight. If not... well, personally I think that in a ten employee company there should have been enough rapport between management and staff for a decent bonus to be handed over for one exceptional year, on the understanding that it was not a precedent for even further bonuses should profits remain static or fall next year. But their company, their choice. You're talking the talk, and it sounds like you're willing to walk the walk too, so good luck bro.
They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...
(06-14-2019, 08:46 AM)roberto Wrote: what did YOU bring to the company this year, OVER AND ABOVE what you've done for the last X years?

The original poster's writing is weak and the story seems distorted, at best.  He mentions his boss, "upper management", and a CEO, but they are apparently all the same person in a ten-person firm.  Wall Street firms pay bonus shortly after year-end.  Bonus pools are a predictable percentage of profit, paid out based on seniority.  So he knew what his bonus would be (he expressed no surprise), and had no strategic response.  He just expressed entitlement to get paid more because the market went up.  If you want to get paid when the market rises, then invest in the market.  But that has nothing to do with the correctness of your pay.

You should not explain how hard you worked.  You should explain what impact you have had, and how you are prepared to take more responsibility.  You could also explain that your peers are earning higher bonuses for similar work.  This insinuates that you could leave for more money in this booming economy, but are loyal.

The original poster is young, in his first finance job, and lacks a mature perspective on the industry.  It is odd that his first title in finance would be "portfolio manager".  Does he have a college degree or certifications in finance or portfolio management?    What does he bring to the company, how easy is it to replace him, and what are his outside options?   It doesn't sound like he performs a high-level function, or is particularly literate in finance and economics.  Instead, he sounds like a belligerent punk who never even considered outside opportunities in the finance industry.  That suggests that he has acquired no skills or connections, and was a captive employee performing menial clerical and sales duties.  The boss sounds like a low-level brute, too.

Fortunately, I found video of their bonus negotiation.

I feel for you OP.

I recently joined a service organization to give back to my community. My home here has given me so much that I felt a sort of obligation to give back of my time to those who are in need.

There's also a nice business networking side of things that sort of comes with these sorts of groups. My purpose was to spend more time working one on one with teens in need and mentor. Ironically, it has gotten the attention of several big "fish" so to speak which has opened some doors for me. A positive side benefit that I didn't really see.

I took a half day two weeks ago to go to a special ceremony that was thanking me for my efforts. It was a humbling honor and it's something that I almost wish I flew under the radar.

Well, my boss took a trip to visit me this week. During our working breakfast, he proceeded to trash the organization that I belong to, called it a complete waste of time, and effectively my volunteer time with it stupid.

I was first stunned and completely caught off guard. I think he was jet lagged, but he's been a super mercurial cunt. I'm not one to argue with bosses so I just let him unload while I went to my "happy place". Unfortunately, my happy place wasn't there. Instead, I saw the people I volunteer with, the kids i've helped, and other him slinging shit onto them. All good, wholesome people and him giving them a fat middle finger.

That was the last straw. I called my two friends I met through my little volunteer group and they're both onboard with my startup idea. I have $20k to devote to the platform, names of people to get onto it, and a team of individuals I can spool up to make it all happen.

I look forward to quitting at the end of July once my project is wrapped up.
It's hard to learn to stand up for yourself, at least it was for me. Submission starts in small forms, people disrespect or abuse you in ways and once you put up with the small infractions, it only increases. You rationalize all the reasons you should just put your head down and put up with it. I think people are wired to see *who's in charge* so they test your 'level' so to speak. I think many people do this subconsciously, men and women. Often the rationalization is because they're important in your life, like a family member, friend, girlfriend, boss, co-worker, etc.... It's better to have really hard boundaries with people, if they openly insult you, you better kick them out of your life.

I'm in my 30s and it's like I finally figured this out. I used to put up with a LOT of shit and let it slide because it was subtle or indirect but it always builds.
You can't kick people out of your life if you really need them. The only way to get true respect is with true power. Respect = polite form of fear. In case of OP, power comes from being able to walk away, thus hurting boss if he was actually a valuable employee who contributed more than he was paid. In general, if you want respect at work, you need to do the following:

1) Give more value, to your boss specifically and to the company in general, than you take, as combination of salary/benefits plus trouble you cause to your boss. If you are on good terms with your boss, "trouble you cause" is negative, so you should get extra salary, since if you leave, he may end up with a replacement who does cause trouble. You never want your boss to think "good riddance" about the idea of you quitting.

2) Avoid being dependent on the job. To avoid short-term dependency, have 6 months of minimum living expenses in an emergency fund, so you can afford to job seek and possibly move locations. To avoid long term dependency, have transferable skills that will allow you to get another job. If current location has limited job market, don't be tied to that location (homeowner, unbreakable lease, etc). You never want to be seriously worried about being fired or downsized.
(06-15-2019, 08:54 AM)shemp Wrote: You can't kick people out of your life if you really need them. The only way to get true respect is with true power. Respect = polite form of fear. In case of OP, power comes from being able to walk away, thus hurting boss if he was actually a valuable employee who contributed more than he was paid. In general, if you want respect at work, you need to do the following:

1) Give more value, to your boss specifically and to the company in general, than you take, as combination of salary/benefits plus trouble you cause to your boss. If you are on good terms with your boss, "trouble you cause" is negative, so you should get extra salary, since if you leave, he may end up with a replacement who does cause trouble. You never want your boss to think "good riddance" about the idea of you quitting.

2) Avoid being dependent on the job. To avoid short-term dependency, have 6 months of minimum living expenses in an emergency fund, so you can afford to job seek and possibly move locations. To avoid long term dependency, have transferable skills that will allow you to get another job. If current location has limited job market, don't be tied to that location (homeowner, unbreakable lease, etc). You never want to be seriously worried about being fired or downsized.

Point 1 is most important. I've had guys who've worked for me for five years leave because they were being offered more money elsewhere. I smiled and wished them luck, then laughed when they sent me pathetic texts begging for their jobs back after the new work lasted less than a month (as I knew it would) Meanwhile, I'd already thereplaced them. They didn't bring value- just labour.

From an employer's point of view, part 2 makes good business sense too. My business mentor has a guy working for him who does a lot of blow. Because he needs that paycheck to buy the blow, he's the best employee for him. Drives a machine all day, then happily moves two more machines with the wagon for an extra £180 that night. Is reliable as fuck.

This same mentor told me, when searching for an employee, find one with a weakness. Find one with an addiction. This doesn't have to mean drugs (and is usually better that it doesn't, the example above is an exception) It can just mean debts, or the age old classic, a mortgage and kids.
They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...
(06-16-2019, 10:08 AM)Roberto Wrote: This same mentor told me, when searching for an employee, find one with a weakness. Find one with an addiction. This doesn't have to mean drugs (and is usually better that it doesn't, the example above is an exception) It can just mean debts, or the age old classic, a mortgage and kids.

Gotta agree with this (to an extent). I'm a terrible employee. My attitude towards people who hire me is usually "fuck you."

Now, it's not that I haven't been a reliable employee (in fact, I've been in at least two workplace where, out of close to one-hundred people, I was objectively ranked in the top 2 or 3 and been the only person nominated for awards and such), but if I'm not doing a job I enjoy or at least one where I feel appreciated, I have no loyalty.

The reason is mainly that I have nothing to tie me down. I have don't have considerable responsibilities and am willing to live cheap to ensure that I have options. I wouldn't probably want to hire me (maybe an younger version of myself, not the current version).

On the other hand, I do excellent work for myself as a self-employed person, because I'm personally invested and reap 100% of the benefits.
^^^^Ya, I wouldn't hire you either.

Actually, I prefer hiring freelancers, remotely on a per-project basis. As long as I'm paying for the work they do and not by the hour, I could care less with how they otherwise conduct themselves on their own turf.

I prefer it this way, because I DON'T want my business need interfering with other people being true to themselves.