Moving to Tokyo or some other Asian City
I haven't moved yet. I am still in Silicon Valley. I've been hesitating to move, mostly due to inertia and good money in US. Things changed a bit however. I burned out on the current team and I need some change.

Since the last year the options changed to Tokyo or Paris. Taipei is out. There are other places as well, but they don't excite me.

Due to pay cut and higher taxes I think I'm looking at loosing 50% after tax. That's a big negative.

The main argument for Paris is the easy and useful language. I don't care much for France, but I would be excited to learn French and use it for travels in North Africa, French Guyana, and Madagascar.

Tokyo is a big unknown for me. The language is hard and I don't know if I'll be successful with women. I'm also wondering how the work culture will be.

As for the Spanish speaking countries, I might do this in the future, but not at this point. I want to move and stay with my current company, but we don't have any offices in Spain or Latin America.

I could work remotely, but if I move to Tokyo, I'll get around $220k, which, in my opinion, is hard to beat.
(02-25-2019, 05:25 AM)gms Wrote: I haven't moved yet. I am still in Silicon Valley. I've been hesitating to move, mostly due to inertia and good money in US. Things changed a bit however. I burned out on the current team and I need some change.

Since the last year the options changed to Tokyo or Paris. Taipei is out. There are other places as well, but they don't excite me.

Due to pay cut and higher taxes I think I'm looking at loosing 50% after tax. That's a big negative.

The main argument for Paris is the easy and useful language. I don't care much for France, but I would be excited to learn French and use it for travels in North Africa, French Guyana, and Madagascar.

Tokyo is a big unknown for me. The language is hard and I don't know if I'll be successful with women. I'm also wondering how the work culture will be.

As for the Spanish speaking countries, I might do this in the future, but not at this point. I want to move and stay with my current company, but we don't have any offices in Spain or Latin America.

I could work remotely, but if I move to Tokyo, I'll get around $220k, which, in my opinion, is hard to beat.

$220k in Tokyo sounds good. As I understand it, Japanese software engineers are generally paid poorly (European salaries with American hours).

Regarding game in Tokyo, there's a guy on twitter under the username "DaysOfGame_com". He lives in San Francisco but frequently travels to Japan to run "day game" with what I would characterize as good success.