Moving to Philippines - need advice , on accommodation , cities etc..
Hi all

New forum member here, although I have been reading the blog for a long time.

Im looling at moving to Philippines end of Jan for about 3 - 4 months, me and my mate.

We are mostly moving there to do some work on our online business and of course a bit of freedom as we are both quitting pur jobs.

Our priority will be working on our business at least for the initial 2 months or so, and of course dping some online game and day game.

Looking for some tips and recommendations for some cheap accommodation with decent internet. 
If you have any links to look up some rentals will be sweet.

Most important thing for us is cheap and good accommodation ( not in the ghetto of course ?), and decent internet, city is not really important.

Any other tips recommendations, and advice in regards to rent, food, places, internet service, etc.. will be much appreciated. 

P.s of course I will buy the ebooks.

Thank you all.
Invoker
You are only going to be there for 3-4 months. So your best option is the same of most of us, Airbnb.

If you were moving there for 12+ months then you could look to sign a 1 year lease at various apartment buildings and get a cheaper rate.
What size city are you looking for?  Are you into beaches, mountains, etc.  Any climate preferences?  Expat community? Let us know your priorities and we can help you zero in.
(11-24-2017, 03:09 PM)Dash Wrote: You are only going to be there for 3-4 months. So your best option is the same of most of us, Airbnb.

If you were moving there for 12+ months then you could look to sign a 1 year lease at various apartment buildings and get a cheaper rate.

this is definitely not true, there are plenty of month to month places all over the phils that are going to be far cheaper than what you find on airbnb

i believe the local website for apartment listings is olx, go through, contact agents, and ask them about monthly rates

in manila you are looking at 20-30k for a nice place in makati, 20k can be pretty hard to find

in cebu you are looking at 16k minimum

in angeles you can find some just ok places for 12k and some nice places for 16k, but if you dont like hookers dont choose angeles

in subic you can get 10k-14k pretty easily
helping guys find the hottest girls at GuysNightlife
Guys,

You just quoted 30k as a price to find a nice apartment in Makati.

That is about 600 dollars.

You can get nice (not luxurious) apartments for that price on Airbnb.

Unless prices have jumped a lot since I was there in February on Airbnb.

Far less would be like finding a nice furnished place in Makati for 300-400.
actually i said 20k-30k but lets not let facts get in the way

pretty much every condo on airbnb is going to cost 10-30% more than if you find the same place in another way, its called the tourist tax, not just the airbnb fee but people also will price their condos higher on there

for instance just did a 1 condo sample size for gramercy, a one bedroom which can easily be found for 35k-50k.... when searching for 1 month in april the grand total price was..... $1,800 after their 15% monthly stay discount

now surely if you want to hunt around on airbnb you can probably find a place in gramercy for 2/3's that, but that is still $1200 not the $700-$800 it should cost
You said 20k was hard to find and for a non local we can probably safely assume to just go with the higher figure.

Since you seem to know about this, could you find a nice apartment online for 20k for us to take a look at?

I contemplated doing what you suggested when I was going to spend 2-3 months in Philippines back in 2013ish. After researching and looking what was available, I decided it wasn't worth it.

OP take a look on youtube "apartment hunting in manila / philippines". It will give you an idea of prices and quality. Decent number of guys with pinay GF's who run around looking for these cheaper local priced units.

The KnightsBridge right by the Gramercy which is also very nice, I think I paid like 800 when I stayed there. Last I checked many priced it high, but I usually saw a few dudes looking to make the easy booking by lowering the price.
a buddy was recently in manilla and told a girl on a dating site he was hoping to stay at gramercy a week before he arrived, she got him a place there with month to month rent for 30k for a studio that was quite nice, she wasnt a real estate agent and he only asked a few girls before one offered to help out

using olx and contacting agents directly will cut costs down a lot if trying to book online, airbnb is a nice resource to have, but the OP is asking about a cheap place so clearly budget is a factor and when you are on a budget you probably shouldnt be paying a premium for a little bit of convenience

outside of gramercy and knightsbridge that you mentioned a cheaper option in makati which is still plenty decent would be the beacon roces tower
Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much for the help and the feedback.

Most important thing is the internet, we are looking for a 2 bedroom place.

Location is not super important, as long as it's not a really shitty place of course or the ghetto.

In terms of rate, we are not really sure yet,

I was looking at Las Pinas, as a place...is that a good and safe place?

Any other areas recommendations?

Doesn't have to be in Manilla

Thank you all
I advise staying in Manila or Cebu. No need to be outside of them.

Get a place very near a mall. Then you are all set.

Internet will be same all over mostly.
I agree Manila or Cebu. And location is everything, it truly is, so do your homework.

I have a guy in Makati who I rent from--he can probably hook you up. PM me if you want his contact info.
Yeah manila and cebu and you will have a never ending supply of women. Also they have the prettiest girls in the country in those 2 cities.
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
the internet will be a problem, you definitely need to find a place that already has it set up, otherwise the companies will make you sign a year contract and you probably need an ACR card to get it which will mean you will wait weeks
Awesome thank you all for the help.
For Manila, if you want to get a not-too expensive 2BR condo near Makati, take a look at Tivoli garden Residences in Mandaluyong. I;ve been there a few times and it's pretty nice and cheap. Guys I know rent a penthouse there, 2BR for 45000. 2BR on lower floors go for 30-35k I think.
It;s right across the river, just across the bridge from Makati Av. You'll wait longer for your uber than the ride takes.
Other options are in Pasay, for example La Verti Residence. 
Pretty close to Makati and also cheap. In makati you might wanna check some cheaper but still decent places. Jazz and Beacon come to mind. Both are on/next to a Mall. But you'll be paying a lot more for a 2 BR there.
Check out Zipmatch.com. I really like that site because it has info on the building in general including reviews, and it lists all the units for rent/sale in the same building so you can compare. 

For the internet btw, i did need to sign a  1yr contract. Didn;t need acr card though. It's 2500 pesos a month 100Mbps - but about half that during the day. Slower connections are cheaper.
(12-04-2017, 06:35 PM)usmaniac Wrote: For Manila, if you want to get a not-too expensive 2BR condo near Makati, take a look at Tivoli garden Residences in Mandaluyong. I;ve been there a few times and it's pretty nice and cheap. Guys I know rent a penthouse there, 2BR for 45000. 2BR on lower floors go for 30-35k I think.
It;s right across the river, just across the bridge from Makati Av. You'll wait longer for your uber than the ride takes.
Pretty close to Makati and also cheap. In makati you might wanna check some cheaper but still decent places. Jazz and Beacon come to mind. Both are on/next to a Mall. But you'll be paying a lot more for a 2 BR there.
Check out Zipmatch.com. I really like that site because it has info on the building in general including reviews, and it lists all the units for rent/sale in the same building so you can compare. 

For the internet btw, i did need to sign a  1yr contract. Didn;t need acr card though. It's 2500 pesos a month 100Mbps - but about half that during the day. Slower connections are cheaper.

50 mbps in Metro Manila?  Your place is in Makati?  What building is it in and who's the internet provider?  50mbps is unheard of, things have really improved if that's actually doable now.
(02-17-2018, 11:34 PM)FreeAbroad Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 06:35 PM)usmaniac Wrote: For Manila, if you want to get a not-too expensive 2BR condo near Makati, take a look at Tivoli garden Residences in Mandaluyong. I;ve been there a few times and it's pretty nice and cheap. Guys I know rent a penthouse there, 2BR for 45000. 2BR on lower floors go for 30-35k I think.

50 mbps in Metro Manila?  Your place is in Makati?  What building is it in and who's the internet provider?  50mbps is unheard of, things have really improved if that's actually doable now.

PLDT does. It depends on your location. For example, I think almost all buildings in BGC are setup with fiber optic connection.