Latin America First Time Advice
Large capital cities are the best option if you don't speak spanish.

I wouldn't recommend Medellin if you don't speak spanish unless you have a very strong combination of attractiveness and game. Peru and Ecuador are usually a better fit for guys who spent a lot of time in southeast asia.

If I could do it over then I would spend 15 to 20 hours per week learning spanish for the first three months. The hardest part is getting started and getting throught the first 200 hours or so of learning.
(03-03-2020, 02:42 AM)Dash Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 12:15 AM)placer Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 10:31 AM)Dash Wrote: You should add Venezuela

Venezuela is just too dangerous to go to right now. Try Colombia if looking for Venezuelan women.

Don't get fear mongered.

So long as you stay in safe areas, do not participate in protests and any illegal activity you should be fine.

This is reverse fear mongering, I would not take advice about going somewhere from anyone who hasn't been there themselves.  Even the locals I know who go there can't arrive at the airport with anything worth more than $20 without getting shaken down by police.  Good luck doing that as a gringo.
My stories are from women in Venezuela. Being shot in the head after giving giving up your wallet and phone. Passport confiscation. Inability to get a visa anyways if you're from the US. You'd probably have to enter illegally or go to the island.
(03-07-2020, 08:50 PM)Shimmy Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 02:42 AM)Dash Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 12:15 AM)placer Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 10:31 AM)Dash Wrote: You should add Venezuela

Venezuela is just too dangerous to go to right now. Try Colombia if looking for Venezuelan women.

Don't get fear mongered.

So long as you stay in safe areas, do not participate in protests and any illegal activity you should be fine.

This is reverse fear mongering, I would not take advice about going somewhere from anyone who hasn't been there themselves.  Even the locals I know who go there can't arrive at the airport with anything worth more than $20 without getting shaken down by police.  Good luck doing that as a gringo.

Two people can go and live in the same place and have completely different opinions and give completely different advice.

Something to keep in mind.

If someone wanted to visit Venezuela, i'd recommend they reach out to as many locals and current travelers as they could. Preferably find a few travelers that are not the complaining paranoid glass half empty types. Take all that information and use it to come up with a decision.
Venezuela for 1st time L.A trip is insanity. It's got the highest crime rate in the world. And crime there is probably underreported. No way is a gringo looking guy going there not getting shaken down in the least.

It's also a complete shithole from what I've read. So you're just going there for what exactly? Thrills and desperate 3rd world pussy? Lame lol

I'd rather go to North Korea honestly.
It's just giving advice to try to sound like an experienced traveler or sound more street smart than the rest of the forum to try and get internet credibility. Anyone who has lived or spent a considerable amount of time in Latin America lately knows or has met 100s of venezuelans who are familiar with the situation and spent time there during the crisis. If anyone wants any real advice I have dozens of venezuelan whatsapp contacts. Taking advice off a forum from someone who has never been there is dangerous.
(03-07-2020, 05:48 AM)Dash Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 10:01 AM)Scotian Wrote: ^I still wouldn’t recommend Venezuela for a first timer to Latin America, I haven’t been but agree that you’re probably better off just meeting Chamas in Colombia, the currency situation alone is enough to deter me from going. Dash tell us about your travels to Venezuela please.

Street savy guy with a lot of common sense seeking adventure I think would be fine.

Naive guy lacking common sense yea better off sticking to Panama, Costa Rica or Medellin.

I am a firm believer in if one is smart, careful and not a dumb ass, they should be fine traveling to most places in the world.

Never been to Venezuela. Just my opinion and what I would do or recommend. I could be wrong. It could be dangerous as fuck for anyone.

However, I do not think that is the case and I would personally love to go to Venezuela.

@Dash
If you want some first-hand experience, send me a PM, we have a group who will be there over Semana Santa next month, myself included.  All you need to do is get to Caracas and we have your back from there including all transportation.  We can hang a hammock for you in the galley as we island hop, explore, dive, kite-surf, surf, sea kayak, snorkel, relax and party.
Be professional, be polite, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Venezuela seems to be trying to give somalia a run for its money for the worlds greatest failed state by the sounds of it.

Theres reports of airport staff tipping off the cartel gangbangers when western tourists arrive so you got an open target on your back the second you step out the airport.

Guyana on the other hand seems like a undiscovered gem. English speaking Caribbean culture with smokin' girls. Anyone been?
Can't speak to Guyana but I'd recommend CDMX included if you can. There's so few people in Guyana it would be like visiting Cincinnati or something.

The girl situation was slow honestly but I really liked the city. You can go from CDMX to Bogota or Cartagena, and there's a few day trips (Teo, Taxco, Nevado). It felt like South America with training wheels.
How's Mexico city and bogota for 2 weeks each.
Maybe do a day trip or small trip to another place in between
Might've been answered before, but what're the most English friendly cities or countries in LA with enough bad gringo-chasing sluts to go around?

Or do you need rudimentary Spanish everywhere? Do most countries have signs and such in English?
I vaguely remember you pulling in Medellin, Mack (maybe that was someone else?), so you shouldn't have any problem in Bogota or CDMX. I don't know about staying in Bogota for more than a week, it's pretty boring, unless you live there. 

Are you black by any chance? Out of about 20-30,000 people I saw a pretty obvious African American professional athlete at a gym (maybe Mexican basketball league? baseball?), tourist with wife, a black British guy looked like a pro soccer player (was a complete nerd), and some guy on a road bike looking like he lived there. I mean you're going to absolutely crush with the Instagram model demo, better go now. It's like Tokyo during gangster rap. 

Going out almost every day I saw a black guy once a week. Not sure about the cute girls with mickey mouse t-shirts and limited English, probably won't go too well on short notice.  

Tinder has been out for 8 years. Gringo hunters barely exist anymore. I murdered in Central America and Peru with Spanish, you get the girls with one boyfriend ever and the hunters that speak English. But that was 2 years ago and I think I would do half as well, at best.
(03-11-2020, 02:17 PM)Vic Vega Wrote: Might've been answered before, but what're the most English friendly cities or countries in LA with enough bad gringo-chasing sluts to go around?

Or do you need rudimentary Spanish everywhere? Do most countries have signs and such in English?

You can get by with little or no Spanish, especially in larger cities. Just use Google translate, if you are really stuck, write/type and it is easier to understand, although people typically don't want to write long, complex things. What I find is educated Spanish speakers are easier to understand, and they are better at figuring out what you are trying to say. When you deal with uneducated people, then it is more difficult. So f you have limited Spanish ability, stay in the capital or tourist areas.
Here’s a decent write up on Mexico City versus Bogota: https://www.mylatinlife.com/blog/2017/1/...d-you-live

Personally I like Bogota better but I’ve spent way more time there so my comparison is a bit skewed but I found it easier to get around, cheaper and the women more attractive than in CDMX.

Mexico city is nicer in some ways, better infrastructure, much better food, arts/culture and green spaces. Also, Mexicans are more Americanized for obvious reasons so English levels are much higher and you can find bars and pubs playing NFL games and serving decent American style food as well as big stores like Walmart, Costco and Sam’s Club if you’re staying for awhile.

Overall I’d say that CDMX is more comfortable for an American, easier to be in, more interesting and safer but it’s probably 20-30% more expensive than Bogota and the women aren’t as attractive on average but you can still find some cuties.

Personally I’d rather stay in Guadalajera and Medellin than the capitals.
(03-12-2020, 12:51 AM)dingdongditch Wrote: I vaguely remember you pulling in Medellin, Mack (maybe that was someone else?), so you shouldn't have any problem in Bogota or CDMX. I don't know about staying in Bogota for more than a week, it's pretty boring, unless you live there. 

Are you black by any chance? Out of about 20-30,000 people I saw a pretty obvious African American professional athlete at a gym (maybe Mexican basketball league? baseball?), tourist with wife, a black British guy looked like a pro soccer player (was a complete nerd), and some guy on a road bike looking like he lived there. I mean you're going to absolutely crush with the Instagram model demo, better go now. It's like Tokyo during gangster rap. 

Going out almost every day I saw a black guy once a week. Not sure about the cute girls with mickey mouse t-shirts and limited English, probably won't go too well on short notice.  

Tinder has been out for 8 years. Gringo hunters barely exist anymore. I murdered in Central America and Peru with Spanish, you get the girls with one boyfriend ever and the hunters that speak English. But that was 2 years ago and I think I would do half as well, at best.

I was there right when Japan went gangsta and was also there at its height. When the hell did that end and what is it like now? Are you saying Colombia is gangsta now? I did not notice this in Mexico recently.