The Vietnam Thread
Pay is $7.50 for 25 min class with chance to build upto 25% bonus. You couldn’t live off it due to the unpredictability factor in regards to holidays and low season really but a few hours every weekday can net you $1000-1500 a month.
Just had a crooked cop pull me over and ask for 3 mil because I wasn't wearing a helmet and had no registration.

Fucker took my key when I tried to drive away, and said he was gonna take my bike to the station. I got really angry, got right in his face and told him I work for the American embassy and I'd get him fired. He gave me back the key lol. 

Next time I'll just pretend to not understand and drive away.

As 3rd worldy that experience was, I still prefer Viet cops over American ones. I would have gotten shot by the latter if I talked the way I did.
ive drove away 3-4 times. never went after me.

if you see many cops with the towing truck or wagon, then you know its a serious official operation.

if its just 1-4 with no towing trucks or wagons its just them looking for coffee money.
What do you guys think of the Ninja Teacher course?  They don't publish the cost, but I think it's around 2k.  It takes a month, it's a TEFL/TESOL course (still unsure) in Vietnam and they basically help you get integrated into Vietnam.  2k is a bit, though, but then I'd have a group of contacts on the ground as well, which is valuable. That said, 2k is 2k (if that's the price, not sure yet)...wouldn't break the bank, though, and it could set me up with a nice foundation.

In one of the videos, one of the guys says he graduated and got a job and an apartment two blocks away from where he works.  Another guy said his job had medical, which is kind of neat (I haven't had health insurance in over a decade, have never needed it, but still).  Also, in a lot of the videos, they go over the legalities of things, like getting a drivers license and insurance and getting a work permit.  It seems most people just work illegally, which is fine, but if I could work legally, that would be pretty cool.  Driving legally would be nice too.

One of the reviews says most of the people that graduated from there ended up making $17 to $18 an hour.  I have a bachelor's and am a native speaker with a flat accent (midwest/neutral), so I think I'd be fine.  Also, I could hold out for a job with decent terms.  My main reason for considering the Ninja Teacher course is the advantage of having a ton of people to bounce questions off of at any time in regards to integrating into Vietnam (leases, drivers licenses, apartment locations, salaries, etc.).

Also, in one of their videos, they're chatting with a bunch of the students, a lot of Anglo girls, and in the background, this Vietnamese waitress girl is serving coffee or whatnot, and wooooooow, she just exuded femininity. 

So I bought an online TEFL course ($40 with a groupon discount) and if I decide to make the jump to Vietnam, I'm considering the Ninja Teacher course...would be a quick way to make friends and get into the ESL community, to start things off on a proper footing in Vietnam if I choose to make the jump over there.

Also, if I could get a gig that's at the same place, in a convenient location, for 4 or 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, I'd have zero issue doing that for an indefinite period of time, years or more (except for the night/weekend hours).

For now, I'm going to work on knocking out the online TEFL, and then I'll see where I'm at.

Thoughts?
I did that course as I tried being an English teacher in Cambodia and i found there was fuck all demand and figured they guaranteed you a job with that course and heard reports of up to $18 which was a big deal for me due to having never earned more that $12

The course I thought was decent and I would have struggled a shitload more with teaching had I just been given a classroom and that was that.

The job guarantee part wasn’t even necessary as I had jobs lined up by myself before I even finished the course. They were offering $18 for native white without a degree.

My advice would be have some money saved up so you can choose a location you want to live. I was desperate for work so ended up not far from where the course was held in go vap district.

It’s not that bad being out there though, online dating is booming, it’s just a hike to bui vien and the like.

Get a motorbike ASAP though and get comfortable riding it. You’ll save a shitload of money and time than dealing with grabs and you’ll start to learn the layout of Ho Chi Minh much faster than you would on the back of someone’s grab.

Also you don’t need the course for finding work. And the online Tefl would easy suffice.
(12-23-2018, 03:34 AM)Rick91 Wrote: I did that course as I tried being an English teacher in Cambodia and i found there was fuck all demand and figured they guaranteed you a job with that course and heard reports of up to $18 which was a big deal for me due to having never earned more that $12

The course I thought was decent and I would have struggled a shitload more with teaching had I just been given a classroom and that was that.

The job guarantee part wasn’t even necessary as I had jobs lined up by myself before I even finished the course. They were offering $18 for native white without a degree.

My advice would be have some money saved up so you can choose a location you want to live. I was desperate for work so ended up not far from where the course was held in go vap district.

It’s not that bad being out there though, online dating is booming, it’s just a hike to bui vien and the like.

Get a motorbike ASAP though and get comfortable riding it. You’ll save a shitload of money and time than dealing with grabs and you’ll start to learn the layout of Ho Chi Minh much faster than you would on the back of someone’s grab.

Also you don’t need the course for finding work. And the online Tefl would easy suffice.

Thanks, Rick! And yeah, that's what I'm concerned with, that once I enter the classroom, I might be like, "Ok, what do I do now," if I don't take the live course.  I'll have a better idea once I complete the online TEFL course.

If you had unlimited time to look for a job, what would be your requirements as far as hours and perks?  Assuming you're very presentable (tall, fit), mid 30's, American, white, and have a degree and an online TEFL (or maybe the Ninja on-site TEFL if I go that route)?
FreeAbroad,

Don't waste your money on that course. Get your online TEFL (i recommend EnjoyTEFL personally). If you are white, from a English speaking country and hold a degree you will have zero problem getting a job. I could possibly get you hired at my company which is one of the best in Vietnam.

Insurance is not really needed as basic stuff is dirt cheap and you wouldn't be covered for anything major major.

The best type of gig is

1) Full time / guaranteed hours / pay each month (full time will get you about 18-30 hours a month or possibly more)
2) One school / center (you don't want to be driving all over the city)
3) 18-22+ dollars an hour (or about 1500-2000+ a month if full time)
4) Minimal prep
5) Housing allowance, contract completion bonus, medical insurance etc

If you want to make bank, best setup would be teaching public school in the morning/afternoon + language center in the evening/night.

Don't worry about what to do once you get to the classroom. Any decent company or school will train you. Also, there are endless amount of info and resources online to get you up to speed.

The only certificate halfway worth the money would be the CELTA. Then you would have a few more employment options and a stronger resume. Not needed for you, but if you wanted to spend the money that would be the one to do it on.

Wall Street English for example only hires people with a CELTA.

Like Rick said, buy a bike ASAP. Dont waste money renting. A good reliable bike will cost about 600 for a used semi auto or 1,000 for a used automatic.

Can find them on Chotot.com
(12-23-2018, 07:48 AM)Dash Wrote: FreeAbroad,

Don't waste your money on that course. Get your online TEFL (i recommend EnjoyTEFL personally). If you are white, from a English speaking country and hold a degree you will have zero problem getting a job. I could possibly get you hired at my company which is one of the best in Vietnam.

Insurance is not really needed as basic stuff is dirt cheap and you wouldn't be covered for anything major major.

The best type of gig is

1) Full time / guaranteed hours / pay each month (full time will get you about 18-30 hours a month or possibly more)
2) One school / center (you don't want to be driving all over the city)
3) 18-22+ dollars an hour (or about 1500+ a month if full time)
4) Minimal prep
5) Housing allowance, contract completion bonus, medical insurance etc

If you want to make bank, best setup would be teaching public school in the morning/afternoon + language center in the evening/night.

Don't worry about what to do once you get to the classroom. Any decent company or school will train you. Also, there are endless amount of info and resources online to get you up to speed.

Hell yeah, thanks Dash!  I'm thinking a daytime gig in the morning/afternoon would be sweet to start, maybe getting an apartment a few blocks away with fast wifi and no data cap and I'd be set (for entrepreneurial purposes and also for video chatting with family). That, or getting an apartment that's walking distance to a daygame spot with never-ending talent walking by.  I think I'll be comfortable with teaching either adults or kids to see how both are, it's whatever on that, and kids are cool, but who knows, we'll see.

Ok I'm going to knock out the TEFL, I started on it today (I had already paid the $40 for learnTEFL, that's what mine is called) and then I'll post an update here once I'm done to keep myself accountable.  I'm thinking by the time I finish it I'll have a better idea of whether to teach online or bounce to Vietnam and teach onsite.  Teaching online has its pros and cons and so does teaching onsite. 

My main goal is to find an LTR/wife, but that will take time, and having something to do during the day that occupies my mind and lets me run a nice surplus every month would be insanely awesome. That's why teaching online anywhere, or onsite in Vietnam, is on my radar. I'm living in the Phils right now, and it's cool, I like it, but I'm not working so I have too much free time. It would be nice to occupy my mind and increase the cash cushion at the same time. Plus, teaching is cool, I've taught/tutored before and I've always enjoyed it.

Thanks again, Dash!
@FreeAbroad

If your main goal is to find a LTR/Wife then you need to be on the ground here in Saigon/VN. Some of the best wife material and dating prospects in the world in VN.

Right now if I were you

1) Finish the TEFL (should take like 1 hour if you can do unlimited retake on the quizes/tests like mine)
2) Come to VN
3) Get a motorbike
4) Get Timo bank account
5) Get a job (onsite job is more reliable and stable than online so id aim for that 1st)
6) Get an apartment
7) Start dating (have a plan, be organized, and know exactly the traits that make for a good wife)
8) Start learning Vietnamese
Public schools should have work until May summer will dry up for 3 months though you will need Center work then. I honestly got work through Craigslist’s and popping into English centres.
(12-23-2018, 09:06 AM)Rick91 Wrote: Public schools should have work until May summer will dry up for 3 months though you will need Center work then. I honestly got work through Craigslist’s and popping into English centres.

Good to know, I was wondering how vacations worked and figured school breaks would basically cover that part.  I'd assume(hope) online teaching follows similar patterns.

(12-23-2018, 08:57 AM)Dash Wrote: @FreeAbroad

If your main goal is to find a LTR/Wife then you need to be on the ground here in Saigon/VN. Some of the best wife material and dating prospects in the world in VN.

Right now if I were you

1) Finish the TEFL (should take like 1 hour if you can do unlimited retake on the quizes/tests like mine)
2) Come to VN
3) Get a motorbike
4) Get Timo bank account
5) Get a job (onsite job is more reliable and stable than online so id aim for that 1st)
6) Get an apartment
7) Start dating (have a plan, be organized, and know exactly the traits that make for a good wife)
8) Start learning Vietnamese

Yeah, what made me try the Phils first is I found an amazing spot here, plus English levels are nice, and I like the girls' personalities.  If I meet a girl here it would be fantastic, but the thing about this process is it takes time, at least a few years, and I'm not working here, which is unwise over the long term.  If I worked in Vietnam,  100% of everything I earn could potentially be surplus income, and I would still have plenty of free time to pursue side projects and dating.  There's not much money pressure, so that's a plus, but it's also a negative because if I had more money pressure, I'd already have a TEFL and be working online or in Vietnam.  Although if the U.S. economy performs poorly in certain sectors, that could affect my income sources, which is an additional "push" to get started with online or onsite teaching.

Ok, working on the TEFL, but I'm going to actually read the material, though, I want to get a good foundation. I'll post any updates on the thread!
Pinays are fun and cool, but generally speaking, they are not wife material. Infidelity is a massive problem with them. No way I would marry one. Way too risky.

That TEFL stuff is just common sense stuff. Wouldn't bother.

I can sum up teaching for you.

1) Be professional and reliable
2) Be consistent with classroom management ie have rules in place and discipline steps to follow to keep the class under control. How far and what all you can do will depend on your employer. So yea.
3) Reread number 2
4) Reread number 2
5) Talk slow
6) Look to maximize class engagement ie 1 student answering/doing < whole class answering/doing
7) Be prepared ie know the objectives, know what you will teach & how you will teach
8) Assume kids don't know ie break everything down, provide extra info, keep things simple
9) Try to relate to the kids and joke with them
10) Always look to seek advice from other teachers, internet etc
11) Try to make things interesting and fun
Hey Rick, I got an interview invitation with Aloy7. Got any tips for passing the interview?

What will they ask me, and what did you do during your demo?
The demo was pretty easy and their software is pretty simple. When demoing try have a positive vibe and speak clearly.
Guys be careful drinking in Cambodia. It’s so easy to get black out drunk there due to cheapness.

I woke up in the middle of no where, next to some fat as hell, ugly chick. I’m missing the key to my room and phone. The room and apartment seem nice enough so I assume the chick is normal. I eventually find both after getting panicky I feel relieved.

The chick comes to says I need to pay. Have literally zero. Said I promised her it’s a lot of shit. She then snatches my phone and says she will get police and give me problem. I take it off her forcefully yet non violently and she starts phoning someone. I don’t think much of it and leave. Outside elevator is scrawny ass guard, starts telling me to wait. Something clicks and I just bolt it. Then all these dudes are screaming at me coming from all directions. I run like fuck for 3 blocks twisting and turning. Realise I have to hide and catch my breath or I will be done if I’m caught.

I’m about 30 mins from riverside and make it back by Tuk tuk.

My situation could have got so bad had I ran into police.

3 main points I noticed on this trip.

1- I was more concerned that people had saw me who knew me with this dreg of society. I won’t return to that establishment for 1 year +

2- You should stay away full stop from third world hookers. Especially if their low IQ and ugly. Should be a given but when your in that blackout zone be aware your operating on a primal level.

3- Phnom Penh while having a bad rep here has only gotten better for me. My tinder blew up, several of them quality I actually met 2 would have porked that night but drunken retard took over. I’m planning on notching next time. I love the social scene but the alcohol is real issue.
Not sure I would have let that girl call anyone. Very least would have made her turn off her phone to give myself more time to escape lol.

What are you doing in cambodia?!?
Hahaha! Thats a great story. Sounds like a scene right out of The Hangover movies.
Yeah bro she started dialing as I was leaving. Swear she said some sinister shit like there’s no way out as I was out the door.

I just had visa run. I guess the karma had to kick in from the last time where I smashed one of the best fucks easy squirter of my life.

Longest time since I had an adrenaline rush like that. Just got to run though situations escalate too easily this part of the world.
Dash, have you gotten a job at an international school yet?  I finished the program, student teaching, and testing and am waiting for the paperwork to finalize but have started applying for international jobs.  Hope to be permanently abroad starting next school year.  I got the idea of an alt teaching program from you.
(01-11-2019, 01:09 AM)Atown Wrote: Dash, have you gotten a job at an international school yet?  I finished the program, student teaching, and testing and am waiting for the paperwork to finalize but have started applying for international jobs.  Hope to be permanently abroad starting next school year.  I got the idea of an alt teaching program from you.

Thats awesome man. 

My esl gig has been too sweet in Vietnam so I haven't applied for any IS schools yet. I am making 2k a month teaching 10 hours a week. (living expenses 800-1,000)

If I were to switch to IS school here my working hours, prep and responsibility would skyrocket but the pay wouldn't match it. 

I have got one of the best gigs in HCMC to be honest. Not in a rush to change. Main focus now is dating and looking for a suitable wife.