The Vietnam Thread
200k while spending 2k a month is like about 8 years of living expenses. I agree with Dash though, that the money should be generating some income if it isn't already.
What do you mean you are not sure why someone would move somewhere? For me personally I want to get away from 9-5 job and fuck non American Asian chicks all day. 
(05-13-2017, 01:28 PM)Traveltothemax Wrote: What do you mean you are not sure why someone would move somewhere? For me personally I want to get away from 9-5 job and fuck non American Asian chicks all day. 

You didnt read my whole post. 

I said why someone would move WITH 200K and no income source. 

Of course you want to move and bang Asian chicks. 

My point was you should invest 1/2 of your money into a rental property to have some passive income coming in.
Sorry I misread. Of course having that money in cash is foolish. At the absolute worst it can generate a low risk 2-3% return in bonds, or better yet conservatively speaking, 4-6% average return in higher yielding dividend paying stocks/etfs. The problem with real estate is that you can't just buy a place in the US and then move to the otherside of the world unless you have someone to manage it and that requires paying a significant amount. If you have enough properties where you generate enough income to pay a property manager, then it makes sense. On top of this real estate is not liquid and many valuations in the US are above the means right now since we are somewhere in towards the upper range of the business cycle.
You hire a reputable property management company and I think it's 10%.
Apartment Hunting Tip

Prob 80% of the good deals on Vietnamese sites are fake or misleading. Just went to a place with completely fake pictures.

Make them take and send you pics of the room and price to your Zalo account and make it clear not to waste your time before going to view a property.

Literally wanted to beat this dudes ass.
Have mixed feelings about if I should upgrade living arrangements.

The place I have now is new and clean with own bathroom but small as hell. Cost is 150 dollars. Annoyance is the owners see me come and go and if I have a lady over. They havent told me not to bring anyone over but they have asked the girls questions in the morning as they were leaving.

To get a better arrangement is gonna run me 150-200 more dollars a month.

I am fine with a small room and honestly I shouldnt give a fuck if the owners see my lays.

So the responsible part of me wants to save that extra 200 a month and use it to help pay off my last credit card debt.

Another downside is girls are gonna think my living situation is pretty ass. Then again I shouldn't give a fuck about that either.
Decided to pull the trigger on changing apartments. Just went and saw an apartment. Brand new building. Three stories. The owner is opening a gym on the first floor. Then has 4 rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor.

Modern decor. Flat screen smart tv. Comfortable king bed. Western bathroom. Similar to my first place but with easier parking, maid service, laundry service and more privacy. Just doesn't have a small kitchen like my first one did. My first place was a really really good deal. Hard to find something to match or surpass that.

Will take some pictures to show you guys to get an idea of what you can get in Saigon for the price.
(05-17-2017, 07:02 AM)Dash Wrote: Decided to pull the trigger on changing apartments. Just went and saw an apartment. Brand new building. Three stories. The owner is opening a gym on the first floor. Then has 4 rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor.

Modern decor. Flat screen smart tv. Comfortable king bed. Western bathroom. Similar to my first place but with easier parking, maid service, laundry service and more privacy. Just doesn't have a small kitchen like my first one did. My first place was a really really good deal. Hard to find something to match or surpass that.

Will take some pictures to show you guys to get an idea of what you can get in Saigon for the price.

How much per month did it set you back, Dash?
300 dollars.

Seems to be the starting point to find a nice new full serviced room in Saigon. Or a room in a new high-rise apartment (350).

To get a proper nice studio or one bed room apartment you looking at 500-600 dollars.

I don't need a lot of space, so I am fine with a serviced room with own bath. Mainly just need a big bed, desk, entertainment table, and closet.
(05-17-2017, 08:57 AM)Dash Wrote: 300 dollars.

Seems to be the starting point to find a nice new full serviced room in Saigon. Or a room in a new high-rise apartment (350).

To get a proper  nice studio or one bed room apartment you looking at 500-600 dollars.

I don't need a lot of space, so I am fine with a serviced room with own bath. Mainly just need a big bed, desk, entertainment table, and closet.

I paid the same for my small 1BR apartment in Bangkok, but it was a 10 year old building. I am really curious to see pics of your place to get an idea of what you can get for the same money in Saigon.
You can find better deals in Bangkok I heard. But I move tomorrow.

Not sure what to tell my current landlord. Hopefully, I can get out without her seeing me.

Signed a year lease contract. But I guess she will get to keep my 1 month deposit. Free 150 dollars for her.
Just got mostly moved into new place.

Owner bought/built a pretty big building. 4 floors with large underground garage. With elevator.

Ground floor will be a gym. He has 4 tenants on floor 1 and 2, so eight total. Then he lives on the 3rd floor.

Went up to his living quarters to sign the contract. Man he has a nice setup.

As I said earlier, 300 seems to be the starting point for finding a new modern comfortable room or studio.

This is a serviced apartment/room so it includes maid cleaning and laundry twice a week. New bed sheets once a week. Internet. Water. etc

Here are some pics

http://imgur.com/a/3MGcz

This is my previous room. Was paying 150 for it. It was tiny. But clean and in a band new house also. Too small, basic and no privacy. But for 150 hard to complain.

http://imgur.com/a/kvFxR
Nice set up Dash looks simple and comfortable.
Yeah that's a pretty sweet deal. I'm in DR now and wish I could find something even close to that.
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
Just read through the entire thread. Good info and value.

How easy is it to land a teaching job without a degree or certificate? I have fake ones, but will they ask to see them in person? Don't want to be teaching kids either.

Also, you worked for 3 months without pay?

What's that about? Never heard of that happening anywhere else in Asia.
Seems easy enough to get a job without qualifications. Main thing will come down can you speak English.

You wont get any of the big center jobs, just they only make up 50% of the market at most.

I assume it wont be easy to avoid teaching kids.

I didn't work for 3 months without pay.

I left Korea and didn't work for 2 months and didn't get my first pay check until after 3 months of leaving Korea.

I got paid here in Vietnam a month after working.
Thanks for the info.

How are you finding the summer weather? Not too hot or humid? Has it started raining a lot?

Any problems with the schools or your bosses fucking you over or skimping on pay day?

Where are you meeting the 18-19 year old quality girls?
I am from the South USA so I am use to hot humid weather. Only issue is making sure to cover up when driving around unless you want to turn black.

I only work for big companies so far, so I don't have to worry about that. That usually only happens with smaller mom and pop places or individual teaching.

I meet most my girls on Tinder and Cupid. Also, some through social circle and simply adding friends of friends on FB. If a girl likes you or is attracted to you she will want to go out on the date.

My advice for that is don't ask them out when you immediately message them. Spend the first few days getting to know them. Then on the 3rd day say "hey, let's go get some coffee or see a movie."

My issue is I have so many girls indexed and over such a long time frame that hard to know who I want to meet, girls already getting a bf, or girls forgetting me.

So, when you add girls to any type of social app. Make a spreadsheet and put their name, age, district, and rating. That way you xan know who you want to prioritize and focus on.

I got 800 Vietnamese girls on my FB, 200 more on Zalo and other messaging apps. Real unorganized mess for me.
Got it.

As a guy with no degree, would I be forced to work for these shady ass mom and pop establishments, or could I get work in established and trustworthy setups like Wall Street or Apollo or something?

Also, not sure if you mentioned this, but what type of visa are you working on? I thought the majority of teachers there, even legit ones, are working on tourist visas because it's a pain in the ass to get a work permit even if you have all your documents together?