The Weight Loss Thread
(05-31-2021, 07:46 AM)Suits Wrote: Anyone else notice that your appetite for junk food and even a lot of heavily process food goes away a lot of the time when you’re doing a lot of intense fitness activities?

Yes, it does for me, but not sure if it's physical or mental because I definitely have a mental incentive structure going on that goes something like, "Hell no I'm not eating that junk food, I don't want to 'waste' my workout!"

I've seen the opposite in some people though, "Let's go get burgers and fries, we earned it after that intense 30 minute workout!" and then they're in a calorie surplus every day they workout due to that mental incentive structure they have going on.
(05-31-2021, 03:03 PM)longships Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 07:46 AM)Suits Wrote: Anyone else notice that your appetite for junk food and even a lot of heavily process food goes away a lot of the time when you’re doing a lot of intense fitness activities?

Yes, it does for me, but not sure if it's physical or mental because I definitely have a mental incentive structure going on that goes something like, "Hell no I'm not eating that junk food, I don't want to 'waste' my workout!"

I think I'm completely overwhelmed by endorphins sometimes. I usually go hard for an hour, often to the point where the muscles in my arms are more or less done. Often, the last thing I want after particular intense climbing sessions is food. Milk is always very refreshing, though.

(05-31-2021, 03:03 PM)longships Wrote: I've seen the opposite in some people though, "Let's go get burgers and fries, we earned it after that intense 30 minute workout!" and then they're in a calorie surplus every day they workout due to that mental incentive structure they have going on.

I generally try to get as many calories as possible on climbing days before climbing and just about nothing after and eat lighter on non-climbing days.

On climbing days, it's actually hard to get enough calories to be productive in the gym if I'm eating healthy food, which I always am. But eating AFTER seems like a hilarious strategy. A little protein after for muscle build, sure, but a burger and fries?

Three exercise days a week has also really reduced my alcohol intake each week ever since a bodybuilder friend from RVF told me that the body can't build muscles while it's dealing with getting rid of alcohol. That seemed like a waste of effort, so I drink only one or two days a week at the most now.

Having females in my life start noticing my growing biceps and comment favourably on them has been the best motivation so far to continue working towards optimal physical condition, since I don't wanna screw that up by having alcohol in my system on gym days.
(05-31-2021, 03:35 PM)Suits Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 03:03 PM)longships Wrote:

I think I'm completely overwhelmed by endorphins sometimes. I usually go hard for an hour, often to the point where the muscles in my arms are more or less done. Often, the last thing I want after particular intense climbing sessions is food. Milk is always very refreshing, though.

(05-31-2021, 03:03 PM)longships Wrote: I've seen the opposite in some people though, "Let's go get burgers and fries, we earned it after that intense 30 minute workout!" and then they're in a calorie surplus every day they workout due to that mental incentive structure they have going on.

Having females in my life start noticing my growing biceps and comment favourably on them has been the best motivation so far to continue working towards optimal physical condition, since I don't wanna screw that up by having alcohol in my system on gym days.

That positive reinforcement is nice, I definitely get more of that positive reinforcement abroad than in the states.  Girls in the states are just more in their own heads for whatever reason, versus abroad in the countries I've visited women will start giggling or telling me I'm hot, at best, or at worst look at me with wide open eyes and smile.

It's nice.  Happens in the states too, but it's far less common.
Also, weight check-in.

May 31, 2021: 194.8 pounds
I lost some weight past two months, maybe 2-3 kilo, just cutting out pizza/pasta/chocolate/cookies and severely limiting soft drinks. On top of that some intermittent fasting as in no breakfast but not really very strict about it. I replaced those mostly with just more meat and fish based dishes and to replace chocolate I find myself eating sweet fruits (mango/pineapple) for the sugar cravings. They are packed with sugar as well, but at least have some other good nutrients on top. Nuts also when I am still hungry in the evening. Basically, the idea in my mind is to eat as much as I want and when I want but only things that are nutrient dense. If I would want to go further in this, next step would be to cut rice and bread also.

On top of that I play football about 3 times a week and gym occasionally.
Cut processed flours, pastries, chips, pasta, processed cheeses. Make them a weekly cheat meal, only one day per week.
(05-31-2021, 04:05 PM)longships Wrote: Also, weight check-in.

Well...now's as good a time as any to do the walk of shame.  Weight check-in.

June 8, 2021:  196.6 pounds

[Image: giphy.gif]

#theStruggleIsReal
196 lbs at what height? If you’re 6’3 that ain’t bad.
(06-08-2021, 05:28 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote: 196 lbs at what height? If you’re 6’3 that ain’t bad.

6'1".  

I can definitely notice the loss of my jawline. 

Strangely enough, people that haven't seen me in years when they see me they're like "Dude you got huge!  You been hitting the gym!"

I'm just like, "Eh, no..."

Basically "If you pig out daily, you too can have a bulky, manly body!" Hahaha.

But I'm on thin ice, though.  Gotta watch it, it's accumulating in my face and belly.
Glad I found this thread.

(06-08-2021, 07:42 PM)longships Wrote: But I'm on thin ice, though.  Gotta watch it, it's accumulating in my face and belly.

I'm 6'4" 237, or so says the doctor's scale. Waiting on my new scale that I'll use to standardize measurements. I'm noticing the same thing: I don't put it on in my limbs like I used to so I didn't even realize it was happening this winter until I put on the wrong shirt.

I want to stabilize around 215, anyway, but committed to hitting 210-205, my old low, before I do. Trying to dial in that diet/cardio balance between having a keto taste in the back of my mouth when I wake up and still having the juice to lift heavy.
(06-09-2021, 11:43 AM)Jetset Wrote: Glad I found this thread.

(06-08-2021, 07:42 PM)longships Wrote: But I'm on thin ice, though.  Gotta watch it, it's accumulating in my face and belly.

I'm 6'4" 237, or so says the doctor's scale. Waiting on my new scale that I'll use to standardize measurements. I'm noticing the same thing: I don't put it on in my limbs like I used to so I didn't even realize it was happening this winter until I put on the wrong shirt.

I want to stabilize around 215, anyway, but committed to hitting 210-205, my old low, before I do. Trying to dial in that diet/cardio balance between having a keto taste in the back of my mouth when I wake up and still having the juice to lift heavy.

So regarding clothing, the weight snuck up on me, and it's because a few years ago I switched two things.

One, after some unfortunate close calls with my testicles getting snapped when I moved, I switched from wearing jeans every day (non-elastic) to wearing basketball shorts every day (elastic).

Two, I switched from wearing a variety of shirts every day (tighter fit, non-elastic) to a standard set of looser v-necks every day.

Had I not made those two switches, I couldn't have gained the weight, as I would have course-corrected along the way.  My whole life I've refused to ever buy larger-sized clothes, as I see other people do, ending up with multiple sets of wardrobes which is ludicrous in my mind.

I didn't buy a new wardrobe, I just bought basketball shorts and a set of v-necks looser than my other shirts and that made all the difference.

I sabotaged myself without realizing I was doing it.

Looking forward to ditching the basketball shorts and the looser v-necks for non-elastic shorts and shirts with a tighter fit.  It's an auto-correcting way to keep things in check.
(06-09-2021, 05:27 PM)longships Wrote: So regarding clothing, the weight snuck up on me, and it's because a few years ago I switched two things....I sabotaged myself without realizing I was doing it.

Yeah.

You can tell when your gut isn't where your want it real fast in a fitted button-down. The button line reveals it immediately.

Around the house and working from home, and even just around my neighborhood, I usually wear a dark-colored fitted t-shirt or polo. Unless you're looking at it from the right angle in the right light, it still hides things.

Where have I been spending 90% of my time since I escaped Argentina before the shutdown? Around the house, working from home, around my own neighborhood.

So I noticed when I dressed up more again as summer started, but figured I just needed to lose five or ten pounds. My old scale had died this year but I just started to watch it a little and get my exercise habits back on track. The doctor's scale was an unpleasant surprise.

I have the energy and motivation, I'll get it done and probably faster than I've targeted, but I need to keep some of these habits for good. Empty calories slipped their way back in over the last year and with the gym closed/masked I wasn't going hard enough on things that burn calories.

...and, first official weigh-in time:

233, 25.8% bodyfat.
All right so yesterday was a reasonable day, had 3 high quality beef tacos + tip ($19 total), nixed the oil based salsa and used the water based salsa instead, also didn't have any soda pop or queso/chips or dessert/sugar treat.

Later in the day had a fast food beef burger and chicken burger ($13 total).

Not bad, no binging, reasonable total expenditure of a little over $30.

The day before was kind of bad though, had an akaushi beef plate + tip ($30 total) with some kind of sweet cheesecake treat after ($8), which I immediately regretted, and then later in the day some sushi ($11) and fruits ($8) and two fat baked potatoes with cheese and brisket ($16).

Total expenditure of a little over $70.  That's too much, I really should have nixed the cheesecake and the sushi as well...the baked potatoes too, too little protein.  The fruits also.  That would have been like $40 less, and I could have had maybe a burger or two instead of that.  I gotta stay away from that higher priced grocery store and the sweets and stick to the high quality meats at certain restaurants.

Anyhow, I thought I had ruined today already by having a giant chunk of Bavarian chocolate cake this morning.

But no, I was actually still asleep.

Kinda cool, got to enjoy that cake without actually adding any calories, it was so good too, my face was covered in icing.

Well today I'll keep it to the restaurants with the protein-heavy meals and stay away from the high priced, low protein, pre-made grocery store meals and the sweets.

Yesterday was reasonable, feeling good about today, on a good trajectory.
Bro, how often are you eating out?
Yeah longships no judgement or anything but you might find the weight will fall off if you don't eat out so much. In my old job I was working long hours and on the road a lot, its easy to eat what's convenient in that situation. I never got fat but I put on kilos I didnt want. Cooking for myself was a game changer.
(06-11-2021, 09:51 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote: Bro, how often are you eating out?

I usually eat out every day for every meal.

I have gone periods where I'll buy ribeyes/tenderloin/salmon at the grocery store and then cook it, about a pound a day is what I like, but when I worked in finance I would do the math and if I cooked for myself, let's say I spent an hour cooking every day (buying groceries, cooking, cleaning, bagging and taking out excess trash), that was worth at least, say $40 or so, inflation adjusted, so adding that opportunity cost to the price of every day's sustenance made restaurants much more reasonable.  That's without even factoring in food that rotted because I'd go on a date that day and so it expired or whatever.  Or I might just decide to eat something else that day so the defrosted food would rot unless I froze it again, which I wouldn't do.  

I also never eat leftovers or stored foods like tupperware-style, I like my food freshly made, always have, so that's another factor.

So it's just always made more sense for me to eat out every day, from a budgeting perspective.  I just find restaurants with high quality ingredients that serve meat-heavy dishes, tacos that are loaded with meats like tenderloin or ribeye, etc.

It's always worked for me, just this year I think the boredom of staying at home made me overeat, who knows, but I over-ate this year for whatever reason.  I'll burn it off.
(06-11-2021, 10:33 PM)Wintermute Wrote: Yeah longships no judgement or anything but you might find the weight will fall off if you don't eat out so much. In my old job I was working long hours and on the road a lot, its easy to eat what's convenient in that situation. I never got fat but I put on kilos I didnt want. Cooking for myself was a game changer.

I have done this and it can work.

However, it's also done the opposite at times, if food is in front of me I tend to eat it so I sometimes can't trust myself around a fridge, depending on what's in it.

Also, for sure in regards to eating out what's close to work, that's disastrous, way easy to mess yourself up that way and I've fallen prey to that before for a moment, but right now I have the freedom to basically eat anywhere at anytime, so that helps with going for the choice food spots versus the convenient but not-so-good for you spots that just happen to be close to work.
You can accomplish the same goals but save a lot of money, while improving your health, if you get a meal prep service going.

Use one of the existing companies or post up an ad online for local culinary students. There's also a lot of chefs who have been laid off recently too with the pandemic.

You could have the exact meals you like, then even write a data sheet on the experience for the forum.
Today's been good so far, had 3 loaded, high quality beef tacos (tenderloin and akaushi beef), for under $20, and not hungry yet.

Might go out tonight, will stay off the booze and maybe have one more light meal when I'm out and about if I see any protein-heavy food truck downtown.
(06-11-2021, 11:42 PM)LeBeau Wrote: You can accomplish the same goals but save a lot of money, while improving your health, if you get a meal prep service going.

Use one of the existing companies or post up an ad online for local culinary students. There's also a lot of chefs who have been laid off recently too with the pandemic.

You could have the exact meals you like, then even write a data sheet on the experience for the forum.

I did check out one of the services that delivers meals, the cost was quite high, but worse is they (that service anyhow) delivers them to you a week at a time and I know myself, I'd finish the week's food in a day or two, maybe three, if it's in front of me.

I wouldn't hire a chef, I'm not there, but not knocking it.

But I really like the way I'm doing it right now, I actually gained weight once before in my life and this is the method I used to get it off and keep it off, so I know it works, I just have to get back "on the tracks," so to speak.

So far so good.