The Weight Loss Thread
Well men, the pandemic is ending and if I had to bet I'd bet a lot of us on the forum could benefit from this thread.  

In my next post I'll post my weight, plus what I'm doing to get it where it needs to be, then I'll continue posting until I get there.

It's time to cut the crap, no more excuses, the world will open up soon and it'll be time to play again, either at home or abroad.

Getting to it.
Intermittent Fasting. (4-hour eating window). Do not consume a single calorie outside that window. Keep the window the same each day, it can be any 4 hours you choose. Some people like eating at night, some like daytime. Doesn't matter at all. Make it work with your schedule.

Only thing outside that window: water, black coffee, black tea (no herbal teas), substitute sweeteners are allowed if you want.

Avoid sugar at all costs.

Avoid alcohol at all costs.

No junk food! No frozen dinner bullshit.

Eat as much as you want, but only in that 4-hour window.
No need to count calories--you, likely, won't be able to overeat in 4 hours if you're eating healthy food because you'll get stuffed.

Limit your carbs but don't ELIMINATE them.
Raise your protein and eat lots of vegetables (variety of colors).

Take a multivitamin and drink a TON of water: your body is gonna need the water to process all the crap out of your fat stores. That stuff comes out in poop, piss and, sweat, so water is clutch. You can use flavored water (even the fizzy kind) if you want, so long as it has 0 calories. You can have diet sodas, if you drink that unhealthy junk, as long as it's 0 calories.

The zero calorie thing is mot important--not because you're limiting your caloric intake!!! It's so your liver doesn't detect that you've consumed food and starts producing insulin. That's what makes you drop the pounds.
I'm not a dietician. These things will largely have to be decided by you. I don't know what foods you like or tolerate. I don't know how your body processes these things you ask about. I know you're asking for generalities and not specifically for you, but my point is, you should have a pretty good idea how you eat and what will work for you. It's not as strict as you'd imagine.

What I do and what works for me and has worked for others who have asked for my advice:

Don't make it more complicated than it is. I can tell you that for certain. Don't do that. Don't over-think it. Don't look at the millions of BS sites trying to sell you something or convince you of some weird sorcery nonsense. There is no need to invent new mathematics to figure out what to eat. Just eat normal, clean, food.

1. I do not count calories.

2. I do not do "macros".

3. A protein is a lean meat that you bought and prepared. It's not a ham sandwich or something you got at the gas station. Steak, lean ground beef, chicken, or fish (sometimes pork, I'm not scared of lean pork)--how much? I have no clue. It depends on how hungry I am, of course. For me that's usually a 6-9 oz steak or maybe 1.5 chicken breast fillets, something like that. Sometimes I eat a few eggs.

I also usually have a protein shake with my meal.

4. A carb is whole grain rice, whole grain pasta, or some sort of potato. Like someone else mentioned, I too, love bread, so sometimes that's my carb. If you must have fruit, then that could be a carb, but I don't eat that stuff and I never drink fruit juice. How many carbs? I couldn't tell you for sure. I do consciously limit my carbs if I am trying to cut weight and definitely if I don't get a good workout in or am unable to work out for some reason. Other than that, about a fist-sized portion usually works for me.

5. How much fat do I eat? I have no idea. I do not intentionally consume fat, it's more like a by-product. I get it in cooking oils (low temperature cooking--olive oil, high temperature cooking--coconut oil), cheese, eggs, avocados, almonds, walnuts, salad dressing (usually olive oil, vinegar, and pepper, but sometimes I'll splurge on a little ranch). I like peanut butter--It goes in my protein shake. Lowfat milk with a high fiber cereal. Trust me, you're not going to have any problems "finding" fat if you eat a varied diet. I also take 1800mg of fish oil/day.

6. Vegetables: I don't care. You can't really eat too much. You'll get sick of them before you get enough. If you eat a reasonable portion of meat, eat a reasonable portion of carbs, fill the rest with vegetables. Eat as much as you want. I like beans, so I usually have some kind of beans with every meal and usually eat an all-veggie dinner salad. I'm also a big fan of broccoli, mustard greens, kale, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms. But, the more colors the better. All those different colors have different functions and properties.

7. Drink way more water than you think you need. I drink almost continuously all day long. Invest in a Nalgene bottle and carry with you like it's your job. This also helps to keep you from feeling hungry. Stop drinking water one hour before you go to bed because you don't want a piss call to wake you from your sleep. Uninterrupted sleep is very important in this style of diet. It's where your body does it's magic.

Sleep maintenance: You're gonna have to figure this out on your own, too. I sleep almost 7 hours/night. I'm in bed at 22:00 and I'm up at 04:45. Even on the weekends. Alcohol will dick up your sleep and it's bad for you. Don't do it.
One hour before bed, the phone goes on silent mode and onto the charger face down. The TV is off. Get yourself a DVR if you like late-night TV. No TV in your bedroom. Just get rid of it. If you're in bed, you're sleeping or fucking, not watching tv. I do a very light stretch--nothing strenuous, nothing lengthy. Then I clean up--shower, brush my teeth, etc. Go to bed. Lights off. If you're not sleepy you can read a bit--have a low-power lamp by your bed. Don't use the overhead light and definitely not a light you have to get up to turn off. I also use soft foam earplugs and have all the ambient light from outside blocked out. No bright digital clocks. I turn the air down at night. The room is cold, dark, and silent (until my dog moves and screws that up, but for the most part, he sleeps soundly all night, too).

It's really that simple. I say all this assuming you are working out. If you're trying to be healthy and not working out it's like trying to have sex with your clothes on.

I don't do a lot of cardio anymore. Just 2 times/week. Focus on strength training! It's much more fun and making gains in the gym is far more satisfying than riding a stationary bike. If you're putting up weight, you're going to lose fat--I promise--especially if you're doing IF.

Stop weighing yourself every day. All those numbers and shit are just gonna be a distraction. Weigh yourself once a week at most.

Do not compare yourself to other dudes in the gym! Do your own shit. Compare yourself to an earlier version of yourself, not to others.

Record your workouts. If you're not writing it down, then you're not really serious. Don't try to remember what you did last week. Don't go into the gym not knowing what exercises you are going to do or not knowing the amount of weight you did last week...

And finally, don't let where you are today prevent you from going to where you want to be later on. Everybody has bad days. You have to fight through that shit and re-engage it at your very next opportunity.

You must have discipline.

As soon as you let weakness start creeping, it's infectious. It starts with the snooze button, then it's a "cheat" meal or eating outside your window, then you skip "leg day," next you skip workouts, then you're chugging back brews in the evening, eating fast food, and the spiral goes on and on. You have to be stubborn and just make the decision to be healthy and don't waiver.

Hope that helps!
I used to be overweight, and while some guys can pull it off and look good with some pounds, I'm not one of them. I did a combination of cycling everyday and intermittent fasting to lose about 25 pounds - fasting had the biggest impact, just like Dulceacido mentioned. I just started skipping dinner and eating within an 8 hour window.

The problem with fasting is it can fuck up your sleep, so you have to find the right fasting window so that doesn't happen. Sometimes morning fasts work better because it lets you eat a bigger dinner and prevents cortisol spikes during the night which can wake you up.
The fasting window I started with was 3pm - 7pm, then moved it to 4pm - 8pm, and then moved it again (due to work schedule) to 5pm - 9pm. Even having a 4-hour I usually found it impossible to use all 4 hours. It usually ended up being one large meal, then sipping on a protein shake or two.. It didn't really mess up my sleep. I'd work out in the morning really early, so it was wasy to go without breakfast, have a couple of coffees around lunch time, then eat as soon as I got home (eat a meal I made the night before), then I would cook for the following day, clean up and get ready for bed.

And I'm not one for making excuses, but COVID totally ruined my gym routine, gym was closed for months, then all the crappy restrictions. The thing about intermittent fasting is you HAVE to be disciplined about it, and having done it, I know how hard it is. Getting back into it now is going to be difficult, but I totally think I have to do so. May be easier to start with an 8-hour window and slowly shorten it, but I'm kinda an "all or nothing" stubborn guy, so we'll see.
I am a firm believer in IF for fat loss and other health benefits such as increased GH production. However I think for most people the 4 hour window is a bit extreme. Personally I go with a 16/8 where I consume all of my calories in an 8 hour feeding window. This works great because it allows me to workout within that window with plenty of time to schedule meals around the gym. Training in a fasted state is not recommended because you really need BCAAs and protein around workouts to support muscle endurance and recovery. This is hardly feasible with a 4 hour feeding window.
As an example of my post above I'll share today's diet and workout regimen.  Typically I aim for a 16/8 ratio, but keep in mind that is just a general rule because life happens and you may have to adjust that by an hour or two here and there.

3:00PM - Lunch after fasting 17 hours.  This is a decent size meal with lots of lean protein, usually grilled chicken and a side or two.

5:30PM - Preworkout BCAAs, 1 scoop of protein, and a light fruit snack

6 -7PM - Gym

7:30PM - Post workout BCAAs and 1 scoop of protein

9:30PM - Dinner consisting of rice, steamed vegetables, fish, and a protein shake

Today's feeding window lasted 6.5 hours with a workout in the middle.  Tomorrow I will probably aim for lunch around 2:30PM due to my schedule, so that will give me another 17 hour fast.  I'm coming off a bit of a hiatus from the gym and IF, but this is the routine that in the past has gotten me down in the 12% BF range without counting calories and all that BS.  Keep in mind that I travel quite a bit and am not super duper strict with my diet, although I try to eat healthy as much as I can.  The main thing is to stay consistent with the feeding windows and make sure you get plenty of protein while doing this.

Another thing worth mentioning is keeping active and moving throughout the day.  Sitting is horrible and even if you have a job that forces you to sit all day, you should be standing up every 30 minutes for a minute or so to get the blood flowing.  Moving is good for the body and what we were created to do.  So when I'm out running errands, I like to park towards the back of the lot and walk.  It's easier to park that way and I get in my extra steps.  Also when I am in hotels I never stay on the first floor, so taking the stairs when I'm not carrying luggage is another easy way to multitask and burn a few calories.  It all adds up in the end.
There are two camps on working out fasted v. working out after having eaten and drinking an essential amino acids (EEA) drink or a protein/carb (P+C) drink during your workout, as opposed to just plain water.

As this is the "Weight Loss Thread," the working out fasted camp suggests when you do this, it's like hitting the turbo button on that long fast you just did and you burn much more calories and shed weight quicker.  Once you've reached your weight loss gains and are ready to start training and putting up some weight, you're not gonna work out in a fasted state.  At a minimum, you'll do an EEA + (P+C) during your workout, maybe slam an EAC stack/any number of commercial pre-workout energy drinks/a really strong cup of coffee if you're keeping it all-natural about 20 minutes your workout--something like that, but you'll want to have a healthy meal 1-2 hours before then a shake or another light meal an hour before.  By eating a healthy, well-considered meal 1-2 hours before exercise, and another healthy, well-considered meal within 1-2 hours after exercise, most people can meet their workout nutrition needs without anything else.

In other words:
If you’re a healthy person who exercises regularly, you probably don’t need special workout nutrition strategies.

Athletes have special needs

Of course, if you’re…

An endurance athlete. You train for high-level competition. You log a lot of high intensity miles each week. For you, carbohydrate and calorie needs are likely higher. You could add a protein + carbohydrate (P+C) drink during your training.

Training as a bodybuilder. You lift weights with serious muscle growth in mind. You want to gain weight. Your protein and calorie needs are likely higher. You could also add a protein + carbohydrate (P+C) drink during your training.

Getting ready for a fitness competition. You accumulate a lot of exercise hours. You’re trying to drop to a single-digit body fat percentage. For you, carb intake should be lower. You’d benefit from the performance-enhancing, muscle-preserving essential amino acids (EAA) during your training.

I've even seen workouts by body type suggestions:

Workout nutrition guidelines by goal and body type (although, I'd recommend focusing on the goal more than your body type--found this somewhere a long time ago and to me, it's kinda ridiculous, but I put it here for novices to see how deep in the weeds some of these people go):

Ectomorph   General goal: Muscle gain or endurance support--Eat normally 1-2h prior,  During workout: Water, P+C drink, or EAA drink during, Post-workout--Eat normally 1-2h after

Mesomorph: General goal: Physique optimization or sports support--Eat normally 1-2h prior, During workout: Water, P+C drink, or EAA drink, Post-workout: Eat normally 1-2h after

Endomorph: General goal: Fat loss or strength sports support--Eat normally 1-2h prior, During workout: Water or EAA drink, Post-workout--Eat normally 1-2h after           

Just focus on food quality & quantity.
Remember:
if you’re exercising for general health and fitness; if your goals are more modest; and/or you don’t have unique physiological needs…then you probably don’t need any particular workout nutrition strategies.

Focus on:
eating more minimally processed proteins, veggies, quality carbs and healthy fats; ensuring your portions are the right size, and in the right amounts, for you; and eating slowly, until satisfied.

In summary:
If you're at a healthy weight, there are only a few fringe people who would still recommend you work out in a fasted state.  But, if you're at a healthy weight, your goal would not be weight loss (presumably).  There are still some benefits to IF (even at a healthy weight), but you would not need to go to extremes, the 16/8 fasting schedule is perfectly fine and relatively easy to keep, unless like El Jefe mentioned: you're traveling a lot.  Especially crosssing time zones and shit.  You have to invent new mathemaics and carry a weeks worth of food in your luggage.

All that having been said, I'd just like to say a few things regarding my personal behavior when I'm doing IF (just started back on Friday, going well so far):
I know I said you have to have discipline and you have to make it a non-negotiable, but, in my case that's not necessarily true in the literal sense.  For example, I will not let my fasting interfere with social gatherings with friends or family.  By that, I mean if a friend I haven't seen in a long time is arriving from out of town and wants to grab lunch or a drink or two, I'm not gonna be like, "you can fuck right off, that's outside my eating windonw and I am avoiding alcohol!"  Or my sister invites me for dinner...  Something like that, not hitting happy hour every day after work.  I look at it like this, I'm the one who is doing this shit and they didn't sign up for it, so my relationship with them is more important than that one day fuck-up on the fasting.  Just don't let it happen too often.

And to that point, this isn't a "life hack" like everyone wants.  There is no such thing as a "life hack" that won't bend you over and rape you at some point.  There are no short cuts in this. It's a lifestyle decision, not a diet plan (is the way I perceive it).  You'll make some quick gains for sure, but after that this is just like anything else, you don't look for the instant results that everyone wants.  You don't lift weights for 3 weeks, 6 weeks, etc. and think you're gonna be jacked.  It's a process that is measured not in weeks or months, but in how healthy you are and how satisified you are with your life.  What does the wise man say about becoming an expert in your field?  10,000 work hours before you are an "expert."  That's YEARS (prolly isn't entirely accurate either, still, sounds reasonable).  Point is, don't become an emotional wreck if you slip and don't make your loved ones fast with you.  Just be a big boy and pick it right back up and continue on.
Cut out sugary shit or just do full keto and you will lose weight fast.
(05-30-2021, 11:29 PM)SC87 Wrote: Cut out sugary shit or just do full keto and you will lose weight fast.

I don't know if that's a given for everyone. Especially the "fast" part. Depends on the metabolism, age and other dietary factors. If an obese person is consuming 700 calories in Mountain Dew every day, then simply cutting that out will almost certainly make a dent. But someone who is consuming a couple hundred calories of unneeded sugar each day is likely to make up the calories somewhere else, because they'll probably try to satisfy the craving with something.

For a person who engages in zero exercise, it might be more effective to keep eating exactly the same diet while simply adding an hour of exercise three times each week than to try to cut out sugar. Of course, if you continue to eat precisely the same diet, minus the sugar, it'll probably help on the long run, but a 300 calorie reduction is probably not going to create a fast enough impact to make it feel worth it to the person who loves sugar. Math-wise, 7700 calories = 1 kg. Now, which these calculations are not exactly precise, in theory, a person who cuts out 300 calories of sugar each day would need to wait 26 days to lose a single kg. I wouldn't define that as fast. For an obese person 100 kg overweight, this method would require 7 years to get to optimal weight if they cut out 300 calories of sugar each day and 2 1/3 years if they cut out 900 calories per day. But even the person who cuts out a Super Big Gulp per day and loses 50 kg in a year would probably still hit a wall at a point with just cutting out sugar.

For myself, simply cutting out sugar and even going keto had pretty much no impact. Combined with a significant calorie deficit, it worked, but at 500 calories under maintenance each day, it probably didn't even matter what I ate. Of course, my weight loss efforts have always fallen into the category of trying to get rid of a few pesky kilograms -- I've never been more than 10 kg over optimal weight. For someone who is obese, any reduction in the garbage they consume will probably help, so cutting out the sugar is likely a good first step in that case, but don't assume it's going to work for everyone in every situation or that it'll work fast.
I've been not working on my goal and thought I should confess.

Lots of family activities involving eating this week and weekend so there's that but really there's no excuse.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Gotta get back in shape as one part of the whole that I'm creating for the next phase.

Tomorrow is a new day.
(05-30-2021, 11:29 PM)SC87 Wrote: Cut out sugary shit or just do full keto and you will lose weight fast.

This has worked phenomenally for me in the past.

So has eating one meal a day, of whatever I want.

Going with the "close to keto" strategy this time.
Suits a calorie isn't a calorie though, say if you had a can of coke and a chocolate bar maybe that's 400 calories combined, now replace that with meat (no carbs) and your body is going to react a lot differently.

Were you actually in Ketosis? I've thought before that I was in Ketosis but when I started using the "Keyto" device I found out that I was only in very low levels or sometimes not at all. If I have a cheat day and eat a decent but not crazy amount of carbs it can take days to get back in Ketosis.

Everyone should always combine exercise with a diet to lose weight but diet beats exercise is most cases. You can go to the gym everyday hard but still not lose weight, I've done it lots. I did intermittent fasting as well but the results don't come close to full on Keto.

I haven't been going to the gym lately because they started making everyone wear masks like fucking retards but recently I think it's back to only wearing a mask while walking around, not while using a machine or equipment.
(05-31-2021, 02:17 AM)longships Wrote:

How fat were you at the start, how much sugar calories you cut out, how much weight did you lose cutting out sugar as a stand-alone method and how fast did you lose that weight using cutting out sugar as a stand-alone method?

(05-31-2021, 04:41 AM)SC87 Wrote: Suits a calorie isn't a calorie though, say if you had a can of coke and a chocolate bar maybe that's 400 calories combined, now replace that with meat (no carbs) and your body is going to react a lot differently.

Were you actually in Ketosis? I've thought before that I was in Ketosis but when I started using the "Keyto" device I found out that I was only in very low levels or sometimes not at all. If I have a cheat day and eat a decent but not crazy amount of carbs it can take days to get back in Ketosis.

Everyone should always combine exercise with a diet to lose weight but diet beats exercise is most cases. You can go to the gym everyday hard but still not lose weight, I've done it lots. I did intermittent fasting as well but the results don't come close to full on Keto.

I haven't been going to the gym lately because they started making everyone wear masks like fucking retards but recently I think it's back to only wearing a mask while walking around, not while using a machine or equipment.

Hmmm, seems like you’ve radically changed your position from “just cut out the sugar and you’ll lose weight fast guaranteed.”

Looks like we’re moving in the right direction.
(05-31-2021, 05:01 AM)Suits Wrote:

How fat were you at the start, how much sugar calories you cut out, how much weight did you lose cutting out sugar as a stand-alone method and how fast did you lose that weight using cutting out sugar as a stand-alone method?

So three scenarios, eating one meal a day, cutting out sugar, and eating keto.

First scenario, eating one meal a day, of whatever I wanted.  Went from 193 to 170 (nude).  Basically as I went through the days, what happened is I realized if I ate pasta-heavy stuff or junk food during that one meal, I'd be hungry again later in the day, versus if I ate a meat-heavy meal, with or without anything else like pasta, veggies, whatever, then I just wouldn't be hungry later in the day.  And since I didn't want to be hungry I just kept upping the meat intake and kept losing weight.

For the second and third scenarios, I was never super heavy under these, my heaviest would be about 182 or 183, and then anytime I would do no sugar or full keto I'd lose weight and get down to about 172.

I only did no sugar (by this I mean no junk food sugar treats) maybe twice, I can't remember details about one of the times, but the other time I remember I lasted 3 months with no sugar (I remember that because it was hard for me, I have a sweet tooth) and I looked great, so let's say 182 or so down to 172 or so. No sugar, by itself, is very difficult for me to maintain.

Third scenario, full keto, I've done this many times but I've never done it straight 3 months ever like I did with no sugar, what I've done with full keto or close to it (everyone defines it differently but basically heavy on the quality meats, quality fats, no junk food) is I'll just do it as long as I can, and if I break it, I just get back on it the next day.  This strategy worked to keep me at a good weight range for years (172-176).  A big thing with this eating regimen is sex drive (at least for me) goes through the roof, and also I think with much more clarity and my productivity goes up. 

So I'm going to get back to "close to keto" now and get healthier. Haven't decided what my new goal weight will be, just starting by eating healthy again.

(05-31-2021, 04:41 AM)SC87 Wrote: Suits a calorie isn't a calorie though, say if you had a can of coke and a chocolate bar maybe that's 400 calories combined, now replace that with meat (no carbs) and your body is going to react a lot differently.

Hmmm, seems like you’ve radically changed your position from “just cut out the sugar and you’ll lose weight fast guaranteed.”

Not really. 

Cutting out sugar/junk food is a good first step, but full on Keto is better. 

Because of the current situation I got kind of lazy, it was winter and wasn't getting enough exercise combined with eating too much over the holidays. I was probably 212-213 at the peak, did some 18/6 intermittent fasting combined with going to the gym 5 days a week. I got down to about 205 but the progress wasn't fast enough, so I switched to keto and within about two months of that I'm down to about 183lbs, If I stay on it until I weight about 170 when I start eating carbs again I'll add a couple lbs of water weight making me about 173-175lbs. 
The last little while I haven't gone to the gym but going again will accelerate the fat loss. When I was doing intermittent fasting I'd have a coke or junk food once in a while but still have a calorie deficit. 

Keto is the fastest way to lose weight while still eating, morbidly obese people can survive for a long time just from water and vitamins. I could have lost more fat already but the cheat days cost me plus I haven't been in deep ketosis the whole time. My reader usually says level 4 or 5, the highest it reads is "6+" and 0 means you aren't in Ketosis.
The typical keto meals of eggs, bacon, meat and avocados can become a pain. I usually just eat lettuce wrapped burgers from A&W or burrito bowls without rice or beans, plus a bunch of peanut butter every day.

As far as drinks go I drink BCAA's, Pre-workout, Coffee with cream, Keto shakes and a knockoff Biosteel, also Coke Zero but I want to cut that out too.
(05-31-2021, 05:24 AM)SC87 Wrote:

Not really. 

Cutting out sugar/junk food is a good first step, but full on Keto is better. 

^^ Agree 100%.  If I just cut sugar it's not sustainable for me.  However if I do keto or close to it, then what happens is because of the high protein and fat intake, I'm satiated and the cravings for junk food goes away.  It's just more sustainable, for me anyhow, over the long term.  Eating keto or close to it, once you get in the habit, doesn't feel like you're dieting, it feels like you're just eating well, it's sustainable, it's just that initial switch from eating junk to eating keto or close to it that can be tough, getting that initial traction is the hardest part, after that it's totally sustainable.
Anyone else notice that your appetite for junk food and even a lot of heavily process food goes away a lot of the time when you’re doing a lot of intense fitness activities?
^both yes and no. I felt worse cravings after i have done 2 hours of heavy sparring for stuff like chips and similar foods compared to when i do heavy lifting.