How do have good interactions in Latin countries if you aren't fluent in Spanish?
^I've never heard an EU representative sound remotely intellectual.

I'm sure these types exist. Joseph Conrad being a good historical example. But they are a rarity. Very few people are erudite in their native tongue little yet another.
How many professional EU staff have you personally had conversations with?

Even in the abstract, who do you think you could have a more erudite discussion with at a dinner party in English, a highly intelligent EU bureaucrat like Martin Schulz or Jean-Claude Juncker speaking English as their second (or third) language, or a plumber from Leeds speaking English as their first and only language?

Just because you've never met people with high level multiple language proficiencies it doesn't mean that they don't exist, it just means you aren't moving in the right social or professional circles.
(01-06-2020, 02:47 PM)zatara Wrote: How many professional EU staff have you personally had conversations with?

None. There is a thing you may of heard of called YouTube.

Quote:Even in the abstract, who do you think you could have a more erudite discussion with at a dinner party in English, a highly intelligent EU bureaucrat like Martin Schulz or Jean-Claude Juncker speaking English as their second (or third) language, or a plumber from Leeds speaking English as their first and only language?

I just youtubed Schultz. He has an accent thicker than sauer kraut. I could barely make out what he was saying. Junckers accent is quite froggy as well. Pausing every 5 seconds to find the right (basic) English words. I don't think either would understand a plumber from Leeds lol. I'm puzzled that you're holding these chaps up as examples though. Huh
Quote:Just because you've never met people with high level multiple language proficiencies it doesn't mean that they don't exist, it just means you aren't moving in the right social or professional circles.
Only a continental of the leftist persuasion would consider employment in the bureaucratic clusterfuck known as the EU to moving in the right professional circles.
In any case, I think you and I have a markedly different definition of being well polished in a foreign language. In my book that's somebody that's hard to discern from a native. I've met a couple of scandinavians and dutch that were close..but the aforementioned holes in their vocabulary did pop up rather quickly.
Erudite conversation, the term you fastened on, has far more to do with intelligence, life experience, and education than accent. Schulz, Juncker, or even much more junior globalized professional white collar workers maintain their native accents, but have a far more extensive vocabulary (and grasp of complex concepts) than working class people of lower intelligence/experience/education do in their own native language. Thats why someone who has been a political leader of 500 million people, making decisions that change the world, in a working language of English, would be a far more erudite dinner party guest than a Leeds plumber.

Once again you seem to be arguing about something you have no first hand experience of though, since you're basing your whole argument off of you Youtube clips - instead of actually having talked to, or worked with, people in this social class.
Looks like we have our own resident EU plutocrat lol.

Schultz could have 5 Phds for all I care. Doesn't change the fact his command of the English language sucks. You're French arent you Zatara? Probably not qualified to comment on erudite English. He was barely intelligible to me and having lived in Austria I have some exposure to Denglisch. Average Anglo would be at a complete loss.

If one can barely be understood by native speakers, they're not erudite or well-polished (my original term actually) in that language. Period.

It probably hurts your froggy feelings but I care not.
I'm fluent in three languages. Basics in a fourth. I know tons of people who are fluent in two languages and more. You're talking out of your ass again Ed!
^Fluent and well polished arent synonymous.

An 8 yr old is fluent in his native language. Very few are erudite. Its a lifetime undertaking mastering ones native language.
(01-05-2020, 10:33 PM)Scotian Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 07:01 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: ^I've noticed speaking a foreign language for extended periods messes up my English too.

I've never actually met a bilingual person who sounds equally polished in both languages.

I think its because youre activating and then deactivating certain parts of your brain and those pathways get rusty pretty quickly.

I’ve meet bilingual people from Montreal who seamlessly transition from French to English on the fly, it’s very impressive, I’m sure that such folk exist in Miami too but I agree that they likely speak one better than the other.

Interesting comparison. Mastering both languages at at very high proficiency level (both) is difficult. Let me explain.

MAIMI
Many Spanish speaking immigrants in Miami come from Cuba, perhaps, please take no offense, one of the worse Spanish speaking countries in the area. Add to that the fact that , even if you are born in Miami and your parent s are Cuban, you will be learning a bastardization of the language, or some sort of Spanglish. Listen to Marco Rubio, although his accent sounds "decent", his pronunciation of certain word endings are not that great. One can tell that Spanish is his second language.

MONTREAL
Quebecois French is another hybrid of Parisian French and its own "sub-creole" sounding language. But is the language of Quebec Academia.
Indeed many "montréalais" cand switch seamlessly between English and Quebecois French
(12-27-2019, 09:34 PM)kc1082 Wrote: I've read and watched a few things on different sites where guys speak about dating/hooking up in Latin countries. [...] I was wondering how guys who weren't fluent Spanish speakers go about meeting women.

The process is like this:
  1. Learn Spanish.  Ideally with a full immersion Spanish school in Latin America, in a place with girls who want to date foreigners.
  2. With said Spanish, start gaming the Latinas.
There are no short cuts to success.  Something that is worth having takes effort.  Being a gringo/obvious foreigner fluent in Spanish is a massive DHV (display of higher value) to a Latina.

To get those ladies in Latin America takes becoming fluent in Spanish.  The more Spanish, the better one’s chances.