Colombia trip report: Cali, Bucaramanga, Bogota
(12-03-2019, 06:24 PM)Telesio Wrote: In Mexico, I have one of those new water heaters that automatically switches on when you turn the faucet on and instantly heats the water.  So, you aren't using gas to keep a tank of water always warm.  One gas tank lasts a long time.

Yes.  I had one of those in an apartment in Cartagena.  It worked fantastically. It's a much better system than a hot water heater and just makes perfect sense.  I've no idea why this hasn't caught on in the States.  Think about it, however many gallons of water in your water heater, you are just constantly burning energy to keep it at a certain temperature even if you're not using it.  It's kinda silly.  With that thing, there is no tank, it just pulls the water from the pipes and instantly heats it.  It's awesome.

I also became a fan of the over window/door AC units (not like the window ones we have in the States, these are much better and can quickly freeze you out of a room).  If you have a big home and only use a couple rooms, it's much more reasonable than central air conditioning.
(12-03-2019, 06:54 PM)Dulceácido Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 06:24 PM)Telesio Wrote: In Mexico, I have one of those new water heaters that automatically switches on when you turn the faucet on and instantly heats the water.  So, you aren't using gas to keep a tank of water always warm.  One gas tank lasts a long time.

Yes.  I had one of those in an apartment in Cartagena.  It worked fantastically. It's a much better system than a hot water heater and just makes perfect sense.  I've no idea why this hasn't caught on in the States.  Think about it, however many gallons of water in your water heater, you are just constantly burning energy to keep it at a certain temperature even if you're not using it.  It's kinda silly.  With that thing, there is no tank, it just pulls the water from the pipes and instantly heats it.  It's awesome.

I also became a fan of the over window/door AC units (not like the window ones we have in the States, these are much better and can quickly freeze you out of a room).  If you have a big home and only use a couple rooms, it's much more reasonable than central air conditioning.

The one I have only works with gas.  America now is mostly electric.  Also, Mexicans are really cost conscious.  Mexicans will actually turn down the temperature on their water heater when they aren't using it or at night.
Hot water tanks don’t actually use that much gas, they are just being really cheap.

Dulceacido those AC units are called mini splits, in Spanish as well.
(12-04-2019, 04:16 PM)SC87 Wrote: Hot water tanks don’t actually use that much gas, they are just being really cheap.

Dulceacido those AC units are called mini splits, in Spanish as well.

When I had the hot water heater, a gas tank would last about 2 months.  With the heater that only heats with faucet on, the same tank lasts about 7 months.  It takes a lot of energy to keep the water warm 24/7.
https://youtu.be/-2vcw37utLI

This video on Bucaramanga came up in my YouTube feed today and it pretty much echoes the post by Mike earlier in this thread.

It also discusses the relative safety of the city and the weather.