The Philippines 2020
I am going to spend 6 months in The Philippines from Jan 2020 to June 2020. A lot of the threads on the Philippines are old. Any updated advice on the cheapest places to stay that are decent  ($500-700/month). Best dating site, what I should be spending a month on food, visa, nearby countries to reasonably visit, etc.
Sure most same stuff still applies.

Check airbnb for places to stay.

Same dating sites.

Food spending depends on your preferences. Eat like a local it could be 200 dollars a month or if you eat out evert meal and nice places could as high as 1,000.
I'm thinking of doing the same but shorter around three months.

Question: If you were to choose a homebase would you choose Manila or Cebu?

I've been to Manila multiple times and I love it but I've never been to Cebu only read about it extensively but I'm still not sure.
(08-05-2019, 12:11 PM)Dash Wrote: Sure most same stuff still applies.

Same dating sites.

Food spending depends on your preferences. Eat like a local it could be 200 dollars a month or if you eat out evert meal and nice places could as high as 1,000.

Great! Found some really nice spots on Airbnb between $500-$800. I think i'll use Airbnb for this first trip just for its escrow system, even though I've heard that boots on the ground rental deals are cheaper. I'm definitely trying to escape the American lifestyle (I'm in a shitty suburb). If places like this abroad are really this cheap I gotta get on my online money game so I can stay out! Thanks for the info Dash.
(08-06-2019, 09:46 PM)tezza198 Wrote: I'm thinking of doing the same but shorter around three months.

Question: If you were to choose a homebase would you choose Manila or Cebu?

I've been to Manila multiple times and I love it but I've never been to Cebu only read about it extensively but I'm still not sure.

Plenty of girls in both cities. 

Cebu Pluses: Near beaches, less traffic

Cebu Negatives: Limited nightlife options (easy to run into past dates when out at night) 

My advice is to spend 2 weeks in Cebu and see which one you prefer.
Our of curiosity, how many condoms do you pack for six months in the Philippines?
(08-05-2019, 12:11 PM)Dash Wrote: Sure most same stuff still applies.

Same dating sites.

filipina cupid and tinder?
@Randomguy and Tezza:
I'm going to be in Cebu for two weeks in February with a couple of buddies. Probably going to spend three or four days in the city, then head down to Oslob and back up and around to Moalboal. We want to do some spearfishing in Moalboal. I'm thinking it'd be a good strategy to get some girls in the city and bring them with on the little road trip--- at least for a few days to the first stop. We could always send them back to Cebu in a bus after a few days. 

It's still a ways off, but maybe we could get some girls and hang one of those nights.
(08-09-2019, 11:29 AM)Number13 Wrote: Our of curiosity, how many condoms do you pack for six months in the Philippines?

I got through a box of 144 in 2 months, so scaled up that is 432  Wink
Which condo building in Makati would you guys recommend staying in, Gramercy, Knightsbridge, or some of the other ones?

Reading about Travel Museums and pussy sniffer's accounts in these places was hilarious. I'd like to avoid their problems, namely the slow wifi issues, slow/busy elevators, nosy/cockblocking Filipino receptionists and bellhops etc.

And a decent, clean pool with hardly any locals occupying it is a must.
I was in Philippines about 6 months ago and most of the info on various forums still applies. I only spent about 2 days in Manila because the rest of the time I was traveling throughout the country, but from what I could tell Tinder is still an absolute goldmine there. Just make sure you have your own place in Makati or Mandaluyong and you'll be sweet. 

Found return flights to Taiwan for around $100 so we did a visa run there rather than applying for a visa extension. Taiwan is super close and was a nice change from Philippines so I recommend checking it out if you get the chance. 

@jdreise
You'll have an absolute blast in Moalboal. The diving there is pretty sick with the sardine run, also a good variety of fish and even some turtles to spot. Make sure you rent a scooter while you're there and check out some of the waterfalls further south.
i will be in Manila all 2020 actually im located there. send me DM for meet up
I arrive in Cebu on thursday, Hit me up if you want to meetup.
I'm in Manila right now. PM me if you want to meet up.