Chicago Thread
As my handle suggests I live in Chicago at the moment. I can tell you a lot about this city so here goes: 

For those that have been living under a rock Chicago is a liberal hell hole. Yes this is the state a certain President that can't be named came from. Pretty affordable but the state is broke. One of the reasons why this state is a shitshow is because of a guy named Mike Madigan who has a lot of say in this state. They will be hiking up property taxes and lots of people are moving to other states. We have speed cams which are also known as "cams" as they are apparently called in LA. These goddamn tax cum dumpsters catch you for going over the limit in a school zone and you pay a $150 ticket. They're also progressively raising the minimum wage which in layman's terms means your sandwiches and food are going to be more expensive since these are low margin items and companies want more shekels. Kicker is they also raised the gas tax. I heard about a month ago that southern Illinois has been trying for some time to secede from Chicago. All I can say is good luck with that Wink

Groceries: We have Costcos, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods. Our regional local brand is Jewel's which is generally where the poor people shop. 

Employment: I don't recommend working in food industry which is what I've done for years. There are jobs downtown and we're known for being a fast growing tech hub. I don't have too much to add here about white collar jobs since that's not my expertise. 

Public transportation is supposedly pretty good. I haven't traveled too much but have talked to people that have lived in NYC, LA, etc and apparently it's not that bad. Since the neighborhoods are so compact it's possible to travel 5 miles within 45 minutes even in rush hour. Contrast that with LA where I have waited in an Uber for 2 hours for 3 miles. What's utterly terrible with the CTA which stands for Can't Travel Anywhere is thugs will start shit with tourists. I've seen police stop the lines and delay the system. Actually about a week ago someone was stabbed to death and the CTA had to bring in shuttle buses. At night time (10PM and beyond) that's when the CTA gets sketchy. Some of my coworkers have told me of people jerking off on the trains and there are some real characters that ride during that time. I don't know if they still do it but years ago when I worked the night shift the trains would stop at the Grand stop for 20-30 minutes for maintenance work. General thumb of advice for anyone visiting is to be aware of your surroundings on public transportation ESPECIALLY at night. 

Safety: People get killed here all the time. I have met truckers that are scared to make stops here. If you come from a place like Hawaii this violence will eventually desensitive you trust me on this one. As long as you are aware of your surroundings and don't flash pricey items in public you will be fine. Also don't ever go to Martin Luther King Boulevard. I sometimes see people on their Apple laptops on the train and I wonder when they will be a victim of a dash and go. If living costs are rising and automation keeps ramping I can see the rich moving to more safe places as the poor get bolder. 

Foodie heaven: Plenty of good restaurants. My favorite is Au Cheval. 

Lots of fun things to do especially in the summer. Neighborhood festivals, museums, theatre, second city comedy. music festivals, Playpen boat club, auto shows, sporting events, championship parades, etc. Lots of universities to do pickup. U of I Urbana is a 3 hour drive away which I might do a report on one day. 

Winters: Everybody heard of the -50 we had months ago. The winters aren't that bad but they sometimes are pretty nasty where we get subzero temps. The salt the city puts on the streets damages the paint on your car so get used to washing it more often. 

This is a nice place to visit and some of the people I've worked with that live in the suburbs can kind of agree with that. With that being said I wouldn't recommend living here for the long term.
Chicagofire, I am down in St. Louis, Mo. I have a couple reps from RVF. I am working two jobs now, until I go on vacation to Europe in October. I fly out of Chicago. Will hit you up then. Maybe we can meet up. I fly out Oct 14.
are there particular streets/areas to do daygame. e.g high foot traffic. shops/streets where hot girls go/walk ?
(07-25-2019, 06:08 AM)blackfriar Wrote: Chicagofire, I am down in St. Louis, Mo.  I have a couple reps from RVF.  I am working two jobs now, until I go on vacation to Europe in October.  I fly out of Chicago.  Will hit you up then.  Maybe we can meet up.  I fly out Oct 14.

Maybe. I do have other projects going on and some of my family members are deathly sick. We can talk more over PM.

At CC: 
Mag Mile, the parks, bus stops, college campuses (especially if you look young and can pass off as a student), Whole Foods, food halls like Revival for office chicks on lunch break. I'm not familar with Wicker Park but other people can chime in on that neighborhood. If I'm not mistaken that's where the hipsters live. A good looking guy in a motorcycle could clean up in Chicago during the day time. Do pick up on a girl waiting on the bus using your motorcycle. It wouldn't hurt to know what type of woman you want. Since I'm available especially at noon I theoretically would be approaching students, tourists, and housewives. 

Thanks for the question, now that I think about it the city isn't bad for dating even if you don't like going out at night (like me).
Wanted to chime in here. I've thrown a lot of shit at Chicago on the RVF, but I did recently visit. I've been in Dallas for 3 years and I really can't stand it. I've been visiting various cities to see where I'll land next. Admittedly, I haven't been to Chicago much since I was very young. I'm from Detroit and I spent most of my adult life on the East Coast including NYC. Coming here I felt like I'm basically indistinguishable from a Chicagoan. I've had an inherit grudge against Chicago my whole life mostly because of sports rivalries.

I've decided that Chicago is the anti-Dallas. I think you can achieve great heights as a single man in this city. This is one of the few cities I've visited where the girls were approaching me. At the same time, it's not so degenerate that you couldn't have a relationship. I saw lots of happy couples in this city. Kind of best of both worlds. This is unlike NYC where I felt the scene was quite unbalanced by comparison. Still a huge fan of NYC, but you know - the cost of living just sucks...

While in Chicago, I picked up a cute 23yo stripper on the El and it was a great 24 hours of shenanigans that I haven't had in a long time living in Dallas where people live very boring, family-oriented lives. I yearn and crave for these kinds of random encounters and I just don't feel like Texas and the South are the best places logistically and culturally to deliver the whimsy. Having a great transit system is important, obviously -- it would be difficult for me to have a kind of random encounter like this in Dallas, also because people are conservative in personality and less spontaneous. Where Chicago beats NYC is people there are way more laid back. New Yorkers can be too busy and Type A to be open to chatting you up on the street/subway.

I have my beefs with Chicago. I thought the chicks were of mediocre quality compared to almost every other place I've lived. Most notably, the girls there do not wear makeup. There is a great contrast with the average Dallas girl who is all dolled up.The weather leaves much to be desired. But there's just some kind of energy in Chicago that makes me want to visit again. I'll be leaving Dallas sometime next Spring, stacking cash in the meantime, but I definitely think Chicago deserves a full shake. Still haven't made up my mind though as far as a more permanent spot to land.

Chicago has quite liberal politics and there are a lot of blue haired feminists there compared to Dallas, but the thing I've learned after living in Texas is you can't make a thriving players lifestyle out of a conservative, logistically shitty place. Just doesn't work for me...
ChicagoFire I live in Iowa and was looking on coming up there soon, I have a good friend up there from eastern europe have been looking for an excuse to visit for months now.
Good to see a lotta familiar faces from the old forum. I used to live in the Chicago area. It's like a tale of 3 cities (and a ton of neighborhoods) rolled up into one. Matter of a fact I was just in the city this weekend. The public sector needs to get its act together & not drive folks out with the crazy taxes.
(11-03-2019, 09:53 PM)fullthrottle Wrote: snip

I only speak for myself but I'm trying to leave Chicago and the state altogether. The politicians don't know how to balance a budget, for more information google why people are leaving Illinois. 

The CTA is bad at night, sometimes hoodrats shut the lines down and police get involved. About 2 months ago someone got stabbed to death. I don't recommend living here but it isn't a bad place to visit.
(11-04-2019, 05:39 PM)ChicagoFire Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:53 PM)fullthrottle Wrote: snip

I only speak for myself but I'm trying to leave Chicago and the state altogether. The politicians don't know how to balance a budget, for more information google why people are leaving Illinois. 

The CTA is bad at night, sometimes hoodrats shut the lines down and police get involved. About 2 months ago someone got stabbed to death. I don't recommend living here but it isn't a bad place to visit.

Where do you think you'll end up?

Transit is bad at night everywhere, even in Dallas we have stabbings and all kinds of nefarious things happening. In NYC, you also had fights and altercations at night on the Subway that shut it down. In Miami, another city I've considered, there have been stabbings on the Metromover downtown in broad daylight...

Chicago will bounce back, I'd bet on it. It's not like Baltimore...
^^
Somewhere that doesn't have high tax rates and escalating urban blight...like I said without going too deep into politics as per the forum's rules everybody can see Chicago is a national joke by combing through news sites and SEO. Some places I've thought about are North Carolina and Nashville, if not outright leave the country. I still have time to strengthen up.
Chicago, its metro area, and Illinois have all been declining in population slightly for the last 4 years.

That's doesn't bode well for future home prices when property taxes, and state income taxes are already high.

I think in modern times with tech and healthcare that both can be located anywhere, people want to move somewhere with one or all the following:
  1. Warm sunny weather
  2. Bikini layout beaches
  3. Mountains / scenic hills
Chicago has the lake, compared to a real beach and with the winters it just isn't the same though.

Because the economy of tomorrow can be done anywhere people will naturally want the best weather & nature around them.

It is something I have thought about that sways me against a possible move to Chicago for the long term.
Chicago seems very friendly. I visited with my kids. At an L station, I was looking at the posted map to figure out our route and a cute young woman came up and offered help. Once when I messed up buying tickets, the station attendant passed us through for free. On other occasions people offered a friendly word or smile. However, the cost of living is high. And if you want to stay long term and buy property anywhere in Chicagoland, the property taxes are ... off-putting. As in, almost as much as your monthly mortgage payment.
(11-22-2019, 03:33 PM)WombRaider Wrote: Chicago seems very friendly. I visited with my kids. At an L station, I was looking at the posted map to figure out our route and a cute young woman came up and offered help. Once when I messed up buying tickets, the station attendant passed us through for free. On other occasions people offered a friendly word or smile. However, the cost of living is high. And if you want to stay long term and buy property anywhere in Chicagoland, the property taxes are ... off-putting. As in, almost as much as your monthly mortgage payment.

Glad you were given a friendly reception there.  I lived in Chicagoland for a long time (suburbs & city both).  It can be an area of extremes in the sense that there are also a lot of rude, angry, arrogant douchebags & ghetto behavior to contend with as well.

But you're right, generally speaking the hard working good folks of the city / burbs can still have a tinge of that friendly, helpful Midwest vibe.