The PR. China Thread
(08-16-2019, 04:44 AM)Suits Wrote: Fricken hell, just finished up an online process for authenticating my university degree, which is a requirement for my Chinese work visa.

I feel elated that the submission seemed to go through, because the process was pretty intimidating before I started it.

Can't wait to get this visa application over with (fingers crossed that I actually do get a visa) and get back to earn money in Beijing.

Dealing with visas for China is always frustrating, scary and uncomfortable.

I'm currently dealing with the Chinese work visa process too and had no idea it would be this frustrating. After literally months of jumping through hoops I really hope this will all work out. 

Meant to start work on the 26th this month but right now that date is looking super iffy. I think all my documents are finally in the clear and my employer is just waiting to issue me with an invitation letter.

I swear China must be one of the most uptight countries about document requirements etc.

Anyway, here's hoping our visas get sorted man.
(08-16-2019, 08:59 AM)Gwapito Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 04:44 AM)Suits Wrote: Fricken hell, just finished up an online process for authenticating my university degree, which is a requirement for my Chinese work visa.

I feel elated that the submission seemed to go through, because the process was pretty intimidating before I started it.

Can't wait to get this visa application over with (fingers crossed that I actually do get a visa) and get back to earn money in Beijing.

I'm currently dealing with the Chinese work visa process too and had no idea it would be this frustrating. After literally months of jumping through hoops I really hope this will all work out. 

Meant to start work on the 26th this month but right now that date is looking super iffy. I think all my documents are finally in the clear and my employer is just waiting to issue me with an invitation letter.

I swear China must be one of the most uptight countries about document requirements etc.

Ya, it's absolutely mind-blowing how ridiculous it is getting.

I drove three hours to Toronto to get some documents authenticated. First step was getting them notarized, then I had to go to the Ontario government office to get the public notary's stamp and signature authenticated. Then off to the China visa service center to get the government's authentication submitted for delivery to the Chinese consulate for further authentication.

They refused my university diploma on the grounds that it was from a US institution. They insisted that I had to go to Michigan and go through the same notarization and authentication steps there. Never mind that at no stage in the authentication process does anyone actual confirm that the diploma itself is legit. It really makes no difference which country the process is done in from a legitimacy perspective.

But that's how things are done in China. Rules invented for no good reason.

An HR rep at my employer-to-be and I tried submitting my diploma for online authentication last night. He said it's worked before for them. So hopeful, that goes through and I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars and another two weeks going through the process of getting my degree authenticated in the US.

Have you lived in China before? Do you know what you're getting yourself into? Because the frustration doesn't end once you have your visa.
Suits lost in China, can't find a job at the factory after he failed earing $100 / month with affiliate marketing :

What's wrong Pussylicker? Did your boss piss in your cornflakes this morning?

[Image: giphy.gif]
You're such a soyboy.

Here Suits whining to the mods like a girl when Pag put him back to his place. He obviously can't handle criticism about his LBH (loser back-home) lifestyle :

[Image: 1AsfMzA.png]
When winner/pussylicker runs out of insults.

[Image: recycle.jpeg]
(08-16-2019, 05:00 PM)Suits Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 08:59 AM)Gwapito Wrote:

Ya, it's absolutely mind-blowing how ridiculous it is getting.

I drove three hours to Toronto to get some documents authenticated. First step was getting them notarized, then I had to go to the Ontario government office to get the public notary's stamp and signature authenticated. Then off to the China visa service center to get the government's authentication submitted for delivery to the Chinese consulate for further authentication.

They refused my university diploma on the grounds that it was from a US institution. They insisted that I had to go to Michigan and go through the same notarization and authentication steps there. Never mind that at no stage in the authentication process does anyone actual confirm that the diploma itself is legit. It really makes no difference which country the process is done in from a legitimacy perspective.

But that's how things are done in China. Rules invented for no good reason.

An HR rep at my employer-to-be and I tried submitting my diploma for online authentication last night. He said it's worked before for them. So hopeful, that goes through and I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars and another two weeks going through the process of getting my degree authenticated in the US.

Have you lived in China before? Do you know what you're getting yourself into? Because the frustration doesn't end once you have your visa.

I've never lived in China before but I do have some sort of idea as to how it is. 

I previously lived in South Korea so I hopefully won't get too much of a culture shock. It's just the bureaucracy, Great Firewall and general censorship that should be pretty interesting. 

Fully understand that it can be a pretty frustrating country to live in, but I'm hoping I'll completely embrace the chaos and do my best to make the most of my time there.

Are you going back to Beijing or switching up cities this time round?  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss that publicly.
(08-16-2019, 08:59 PM)Gwapito Wrote: Are you going back to Beijing or switching up cities this time round?  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss that publicly.

Back to Beijing. All my stuff is in storage there and I really like the city.

I'm looking forward to working a normal 9-5 and being able to better explore things I love, like the underground punk scene and just general social opportunities.
This is 100% fucking spot on.

And I have said this on 'the other forum' multiple times, and got banned for it.

For Asian women, especially Chinese, a man's status/wealth go just as far if not more than looks/game. It's too obvious when you are looking at Asian girl/guy couples, the girls are often dating down as far as looks go.

I'm in the Philippines and it's much the same. But it seems like so many guys come to Asia and assume the women are just like the women back home. I think that's the main reason why guys have been doing poorly in SEA lately.

@Suits, ignore the hater(s), you've done all right, considering. It's nearly impossible to make it in China as a foreigner.
Guys have been doing poorly in SEA recently? When did that happen? I'm currently in SEA and can't really confirm.

Regarding the importance of wealth/status I agree. However, wealth is usually not an issue for foreigners. In SEA foreigners are richer than almost all locals anyway. If we talk about China and if we exclude jobs like English teaching, the average expat package in Mainland China is quite decent too. The only real problem I see is status.
(08-17-2019, 04:44 AM)elitenoob Wrote: @Suits, ignore the hater(s), you've done all right, considering. It's nearly impossible to make it in China as a foreigner.

I'm not sure what you mean? China has been very good for me and has offered career growth at a fast rate than I probably could have achieved anywhere else.

If anything, it's getting easier and easier for me to make it work in China as my skills further progress and I get better at selling (both myself and actual physical products).

The increased complications related to acquiring a work visa is very annoying, but that just comes with the territory and has for years.