The PR. China Thread
I think that paradoxically you'll find bigger Chinese cities that are much more open to foreigners (i.e. the big 4). I did well on Tinder and TanTan in Shanghai/Shenzhen, but do worse in X 2nd tier city. I feel like those are underrated cities in a way, despite the fact that mot foreigners go to them.

Can any China vets touch on this?
Yes and no:

Yes because I have heard that often that foreigners do better in Shanghai (don't know enough about Shenzhen to write about it). From personal experience, Shanghai is good, not particularly great, I have more success in Beijing if we stopped at the big 4. Good quality of girls and maybe half the girls can chat in English, which is a big plus if you don't speak chinese or don't have your TanTan profile in Chinese.

No, because most of the girls I match in Shanghai are mostly girls there on short trips and come from 2nd tier or lower.

In my case, but I don't think it can be generalized:

More likes: North China
More matches: North east coast (Hebei/Shandong/Jiangsu) + Dongbei
More matches with good to very good looking ones: the Nanjng- Hangzhou- Shanghai triangle + Harbin + Shenyang

I usually don't do really well in Guangdong and Fujian in matches. I tend to like less southern girls also
I felt bored this morning. Set up my GPS in Fuzhou (Fujian) and tried TanTan to see if I can confirm my last post.
Got the likes easily. Matches some girls.

One says she swipe me right because she wanted to see if a foreigner will like her.
One thinks I am a fake. Asked me if I am a real foreigner or if I am pretending to be. I actually took that as a compliment: I look so good in her eyes that she suspects some dude picked up my picture to create his profile
Another one is talking about Chinese history ("China has a very long history..." you know the deal).
One asked how much money I am making after 30mins talk(her pics screamed gold-digger, she confirmed)
One wants to speak in english, but obviously, cannot.
One asked if she can be my friend.

Add two more who didn't answer and you get TanTan done wrong.
(07-07-2017, 04:03 PM)TigerT Wrote: Another one is talking about Chinese history ("China has a very long history..." you know the deal).

Regrettably.

Quote:One wants to speak in english, but obviously, cannot.

I can't speak for countries all over the world, but in China, a lot of people have an undeserved ego. If they have no accomplishments, they will subtly lecture you on how great their country.

i.e. Did you know that China has 5000 years wonderful history?

Others like to feel important by "speaking" English with you. There's a certain point in your language learning where your skills in their language exceed most of their skills in your language.

I have one client (most just use China to communicate with me, which works just fine) who insists on texting me in English. Of course, she has no actual English language skills worth speaking about, so she simply runs some Chinese phrases through an online translator tool and sends me the result. It's almost always unreadably gibberish.

When you speak virtually zero Chinese, it's quite a relief when people make an effort to speak English to you. At this point, they are doing you a favor. But when you make the effort to learn Chinese and people still insist on using their low-grade English to "communicate" with you, you start to realize that's its less about them being helpful and more about their taking the stance of a graceful, highly educated person who fluently communicates with the lowly, uneducated foreigner in his own language. How nice!
ntntn4ntn4t
I am not planning on even going to Fuzhou. I just did it out of curiosity since usually, I was doing pretty bad in Fujian. And like I say, I am pretty bored in France on weekdays during my vacation.

@Suits:

Two things "funny" about the long chinese history:
-90% of them don't know anything about what happened before 1949.
-One girl who graduated in french language (means 4 years at university) told me after she cooked for me that Chinese cuisine has "10 billion years of history". She got confused between mille (thousand) and milliard (billion). After 20minutes, we were talking in chinese only.
(07-08-2017, 05:43 AM)TigerT Wrote: @Suits:

Two things "funny" about the long chinese history:
-90% of them don't know anything about what happened before 1949.

Chinese people claiming to have 5000 years of history is like me claiming to have 5000 years of history because I have blue eyes and blonde hair and therefore am a member of a longstanding Viking nation.

The current Chinese territory in no way resembles many of the various nations that have inhabited the eastern Asian mainland over the past several decades.

From 907-960, that area of the world was broken into many different countries and resembled modern day year better than modern day China.

From 220-280, there were three different countries dominating different portions of the eastern edge of the modern day Chinese landmass, with the west being tribal and nomadic.

More importantly, from 1644-1912 and from 1271-1368, there was no "Chinese" country anywhere in the world. During these periods, all and any countries ruled by Han Chinese had been complete removed from the face of the earth. Yes, people lived in this part of the world and some of them were Han Chinese, but during these periods of time, there were no Han Chinese nations in existence.

The earliest recorded record of an organized tribe with a government in the area is from 2070BC, meaning that the area has only had a civilized existence for 4000 years at best.

The modern day People's Republic of China is a completely new country with less than a century of history.

Therefore, the estimate of 5000 years of history is off by about 4930 years.
That's the difference between your country history and the history of the land where you country is on.
Like it will be ridiculous for an 90 % Egyptians to be the descendant of the people who build the pyramid. Or for me, a Frenchman to consider that France has a 20 000 years history because some naked dudes were painting mammoth on caves walls.

Your short expose, show that you know better chinese history than most of them do.
In french, now the word China is used mostly for the country create after the 1911 Revolution. For the Manchu period, you will use Qing Empire, before it was the Ming empire, ... and not Chinese empire or even less China.

I usually try to avoid talking about that with Chinese people, it usually kind of pissing me off: claiming your country has a long history and not knowing about it is ridiculous. Claiming your country has a long history and having historical district destroyed to build a new shopping center is ridiculous. Calling Lijiang an old city is stupid since the building are 20years old at max...

Probably the two of us can go on and on about it for ever...
Came back from two days in Lyon where I spent two days in Lyon with one of my best friend (a girl I know since primary school).
My Chinese girl was fine (no sign of jealousy, no angry short texts) with it until she found out that my friend is blonde. Inferiority complex toward the blonde? Jealousy kicking after I met my friend? Scared that after 25 years, I finally sleep with that girl despite the fact that she is now married? Anyway...
The sad thing is that I was basically just finishing saying my friend that this one was not too jealous when she started going crazy.

What does it mean for my plans for the two first weeks after I am back in China? Don't know yet, but I am not going to chase her with an apology.
I'm considering moving back to China. I know... it didn't take long.

I'm considering Guangzhou and Beijing, and maybe Shenzhen. I say maybe because I've already lived in Shenzhen for a short period of time last year and didn't really care for it. There weren't many job opportunities and girls tended to be flakey, plus it's expensive.

The benefits of Guangzhou are its cheap and I can check out factories and suppliers in the region, but I can also do this in Shenzhen.

Considering Beijing because there are ample job opportunities and lots of private tutoring gigs, which I prefer over training centers and schools. Not sure about GZ in this regard.

Now, I've never been to GZ or BJ except in their airports during a layover. Can anyone comment on the two cities?
(07-20-2017, 07:16 AM)Vic Vega Wrote: I'm considering moving back to China. I know... it didn't take long.

I'm considering Guangzhou and Beijing, and maybe Shenzhen. I say maybe because I've already lived in Shenzhen for a short period of time last year and didn't really care for it. There weren't many job opportunities and girls tended to be flakey, plus it's expensive.

Whether in China or elsewhere, unless it's a short period of time (under a year), it's important to like the place where you live. No point in letting years go by living a life someone you don't care for, unless there is going to be a big pay off down the road.

(07-20-2017, 07:16 AM)Vic Vega Wrote: The benefits of Guangzhou are its cheap and I can check out factories and suppliers in the region, but I can also do this in Shenzhen.

Despite being dirty, Guangzhou has some local culture and identity that makes living their a more distinct experience. I haven't been their, but many friends of mine who have been to both SZ and GZ, tell me the same thing.

(07-20-2017, 07:16 AM)Vic Vega Wrote: Considering Beijing because there are ample job opportunities and lots of private tutoring gigs, which I prefer over training centers and schools. Not sure about GZ in this regard.

Yes, the demand in Beijing is ridiculous. It's not bad in Shenzhen or Guangzhou too, I'm sure, but in Beijing it is truly epic.

(07-20-2017, 07:16 AM)Vic Vega Wrote: Now, I've never been to GZ or BJ except in their airports during a layover. Can anyone comment on the two cities?

Beijing has a lot of disadvantages. It's too big (takes a long time to get most places), polluted and housing is becoming ridiculously expensive.

On the other hand, there's a ton of things to do here and lot of fun to be had. The restaurant scene is very developed, both for local and international food.

It's a truly world class city in that (and other) regards.

If you wanna do the freelance tutoring thing, why not get a tourist visa and visit GZ and BJ and see what you like. Naturally, I'll show you around Beijing and I'm sure you could track down someone in Guangzhou who can give you an introduction to the city. Spend at least a week in each city and see what you discover.
Would not live in BJ. Hell no.
I have a love hate relationship with Beijing.
I like the nightlife, the cultural life, (most of) the people,...
I don't like the pollution, the freezing weather, the city which is too big, too many Chinese tourists
I don't think that there are many people who have nothing but love for Beijing. Big cities of this size tend to bring out the worst in people (making them unfriendly and asshole drivers) and Beijing has lots of issues (pollution, traffic, etc).

That being said, for a long term lifestyle for Westerners in China, there are few options that are head and shoulders above Beijing. Anything below a tier 1 city is out of the question for most people. If you're going to live in China for 2+ years, being jeered at on city streets on a regular basis (common occurrence outside of tier 1 cities) and the general low standard of living that comes with anything below a tier 1 city (hideous Internet speeds, complete clusterfucks of public transportation options, few to none ethnic food choices outside of Chinese or Korean food, and worst of all, no access to cheese), and the low quality of people among the local expat population is going to seriously wear on you.

If you must be (or wish to be in China), Beijing has a lot to commend itself. A vibrant underground music scene, an amazing food scene, world renown cultural sites, parks everywhere, tons of sport and hobby offerings, a lot of great people to meet, great local and expat talent if you are running a business, amazing subway system, very good weather spring and fall, excellent (albeit expensive) school options (if you have kids), world class theater and classical music venues, a local population that is largely comfortable with non-Chinese and will treat you as a normal person most of the time, a non-stop carousel of girls who need and want a good hard fucking, and probably a number of other advantages I haven't noticed or can't think of at the moment.

Sure, for the traveler, Beijing may be overwhelming, tragic and not a place that they could imagine staying for long. But for the business person or entrepreneur who has much to gain by remaining in China for a time, Beijing is a better choice than most and there is much personal enjoyment to be had by proactively seeking to take full advantage of its offerings.
I don't think this has been addressed in this thread but

Can any of you guys comment on how Korean guys are received in China?

I know that China is the biggest market for Korean stuff (dramas, music, etc.) and have banged a decent amount of Chinese chicks into Korea

I'm assuming there are plenty of Koreans in the T1 cities but what about in T2? (Like the places in Sichuan if those are T2)

Thank you for any info.
@Whiteknightrises: there is a lot of S.Korean to a lot of smaller cities, at least on the east coast, but mostly they come with the whole family. I don't really know about Koreans man in general but if it reassured you, I have never heard anything bad about them. Cannot really tell you more than this.

Will be back to China, finally, on Wednesday. Two shorts stays planned to Shanghai and Hangzhou. I was supposed to see that girl in Dongbei but it seems like it's not going to happen actually.

I have been hitting Tantan over the last few hours and I have seen that they have been "super-liked" by two girls (basically letting the person knows you swiped him/her right). I looked to see if I have the same function but I couldn't find it. Is it something new or something I have missed until now?
^

Must pay for Tinder Plus. Then you can superlike and also use the boost feature.
Tinder =/= Tantan

@Tiger: seems like Tantan now has paid features like Super Like with a VIP subscription:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tantan/id861891048?mt=8

(look for VIP Membership part)
Good way to milk money from people. That location and superlike feature is a must.
Thanks for the info Whiteknightrises.

Location can be changed easily with a fake gps, I have been using it since the beginning of the year and it has been working well. Actually that they put this feature is a good thing to me, I will be able to explain why I can match them even if I am some 1000km away.

I am not a fan of the concept of the superlike, but I have never used it.

Anyway, when I see the price (238RMB per year), it is cheap enough for giving it a try. Might do it during the cold season.