Veterans
Sitting here tonight talking with a couple of old friends that are vets. (Yes drinking is involved) not to talk down anyone, meaning veterans of the military.  

USA here, but asking for any country in the world, 

How many veterans do we have on these forums? or currently serving?

A BIG THANK YOU FOR SERVING
They're some of the best traveled men out there, usually very cool and humble.
They always recommend me Asian girls, especially Japanese for some reason. Says current generation needs to man up and hustle
Some of the most interesting people I met in my worldwide travels were veterans. The war pension makes a good passive income.

Be it USA or others (I met a guy who served in a French Legion) war leaves mental scars.
I appreciate your thought BarbarianFather. Saying thank you is one of the most powerful acts of gratitude for a veteran.
Be professional, be polite, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
I work with the US military, and have worked with a bunch of current and former military folks. Never served myself. They usually like me because I've worked some less than glamorous jobs. As someone noted, if you can put in the time to get your pension, it really sets you up nicely for later in life.
Reviving this old thread. Considering joining as a reserve to make a bit of money on the side. Is it worth it? What were your experiences?
What country, If USA go Guard instead of Reserve. Easy life with some travel go Air National Guard more options go with Army National Guard

Reason I say this (simple terms) Reserve is federal they can do what ever they want with you. National Guard is tied to a state and your controlled by the Governor. Both have good and bad points. Depends on what MOS you want and Officer or enlisted.
I am a vet. In the dual sense of the Word, both a veterinarian and a military vet Smile Smile
(07-13-2017, 08:57 AM)Dr.Doolitle Wrote: I am a vet. In the dual sense of the Word, both a veterinarian and a military vet Smile Smile

HaHa nice. That just made my day.
(07-11-2017, 02:43 PM)billyga Wrote: Reviving this old thread. Considering joining as a reserve to make a bit of money on the side. Is it worth it? What were your experiences?

My current 2nd level boss is an Air Force reservist and he has a month or so duty (at a time) at Macdill AFB in Tampa, FL. He doesn't seem complain Wink. He's probably going to transfer to March Reserve AFB in Riverside [CA] to be closer to home soon. As everyone noted, it depends on your specialty and location. Military on the whole takes care of it's people, but there are bad apples there just like anywhere else. I think overall it's a good way to get a built in network.
I did 4.5 years as a weekend warrior (army reserves) back when I was young and dumb. It was good money and fun while it lasted.
Thanks to all the veterans for their service