Finding work/internships abroad?
Hey guys. Wonder if any of you have been in a similar position to me. I'm a student right now, would love to go travel once I graduate but I'm also thinking in terms of career prospects/goals.

I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience of finding work or internships abroad? I've already looked online but most of what I've found is stuff like volunteering for charity work - which is nice, but it's not going to look too helpful on my CV (particularly since I want to work in software dev). Not to mention that a lot of these things seem to be marketed like holidays which, again, isn't going to look too useful on a CV.

If anyone has any experiences to share I'd appreciate it.
There is so much work in software development nowadays, all around the world. You should have no trouble finding a job.

However, I'd suggest you go freelance.
You can do work from anywhere in the world. Just need to find the clients. I'd suggest to look around and focus on something you like, but most importantly is in demand. Then you might want to write some software for free or for yourself so you have some portfolio to show future clients.

What I like to do, especially when I travel, is look at foreign markets. What is in demand, how are things handled etc. Then compare it to the market back home - and see if either market can improve the other. This can be very easy things, like implementing Facebook login method to websites. Just write some software for a specific CMS that can do that, and contact companies that could use it and try to sell it. Contact companies that don't have live chat on their website, and try to sell it. etc. be creative.

I did exactly this in the Philippines. Got a project pretty easily (via tinder), and another soon after (tinder) . The first one hasn't made any money yet. The second (different market) is earning me 20,000+ pesos a month now. But this girl was so happy, she told everyone she knows and now has arranged 2 projects for better prices already for me. Probably be earning 50,000+ for each of them a month once i finish them. After finishing (~40 hours) i just need to do some maintenance, say 1-2 hours a week, but keep earning.

If I was looking for an employee and I could choose between two candidates:
1. has had  corporate office jobs behind a desk for the last 5 years, has worked on big projects for a software company but  cannot show anything he coded himself
2. has traveled the world over the last 5 years, can show small and medium, simple and more complicated things, he coded all by himself. Plus he has more skill than just coding - otherwise he hadn't been able to get all these assignments

Most employers would hire candidate 2. The one's that won't are probably the team leaders and afraid to get surpassed by the candidate. Those are not the jobs you want anyway.
Depending on which country you are from, you can try to get an internship at an embassy of your country or at your country's chamber of commerce (if you studied business, economics or something related) in a foreign country. If you are from a small country it can actually be quite easy to land such an internship.

The problem with internships is that most countries that appeal to people like us are low income countries (e.g. Thailand, Indonesia, Colombia, etc.) and thus the internship won't pay very well. Moreover, it can be hard to find those internships online. The ones that you find online are usually exlusively for locals.. In some countries you will face legal hurdles and language barriers that might keep you from landing an internship. It is always much easier if you have some contacts on the ground (even if it is just a girl that you banged) and ask them if they know anyone who works in a company that hires foreigners.
(03-24-2017, 03:07 PM)usmaniac Wrote: However, I'd suggest you go freelance.
You can do work from anywhere in the world. Just need to find the clients. I'd suggest to look around and focus on something you like, but most importantly is in demand. Then you might want to write some software for free or for yourself so you have some portfolio to show future clients.

I've thought about freelancing, but I figured it would be a good idea to get a bit of work experience and networking first to help gain clients. It's definitely a route I'm considering, though.
Also, how the hell did you get projects via tinder!?

(03-24-2017, 03:28 PM)Bateman Wrote: The problem with internships is that most countries that appeal to people like us are low income countries (e.g. Thailand, Indonesia, Colombia, etc.) and thus the internship won't pay very well. Moreover, it can be hard to find those internships online. The ones that you find online are usually exlusively for locals.

Yeah, that's a good point. Wouldn't be particularly fussed about low pay as long as I could get by, anyway. But yeah, sadly I think you're right that an internship will likely be hard to come by. I'll see what I can find though.
(03-24-2017, 10:22 PM)coffeeisnice Wrote: I've thought about freelancing, but I figured it would be a good idea to get a bit of work experience and networking first to help gain clients. It's definitely a route I'm considering, though.
Also, how the hell did you get projects via tinder!?

You could do that, but unless you're traveling Western countries you won't be payed more than a starting freelancer for you internship or job abroad. The networking is certainly a good point, but the working experience itself doesn't give you much advantage in getting clients.

You must know I talked to lots of girls from Ph on Tinder. A lot of them dream of becoming independent. Some have idea's, others already run something small on Facebook. Just find the gems that are smart and you think you can trust. Then make sure they depend on you more than they realize so they can't fuck you over. This one girl, I registered all the domains in my name. She is now advertising this thing with that domain etc. If she doesn;t pay me, I take it offline so she doesn't have in income either.

But some are really lazy as well. There was this other girl that knew someone who sold expensive bags on instagram. She brought them in from Europe, Japan and UAE. Then sold them with big profit in Ph. Now we set up a plan to do the same. I won't get into too much details, but i looked up some designer bags being sold by people that bought them but never used. She put them on IG and got lots of inquiries. Then she decided she didn't like answering all those people because it was boring and never sold a damn bag. Keep in mind that some bags were advertised with 800 euro profit if sold. What went wrong? She was lazy & didn;t depend on me too much. Few days later she said she wanted to invest 150,000 pesos to start a food cart franchise business. If she only sells one bag and we split, she would have gotten a 1 month food cart income. Choose them wisely.
I'm actually thinking about going into programming a bit. I can't depend just on this website and I want to live abroad. I think it's a good option. Other options would be ghost writing (just met a guy who does it and is really successful at it), online marketing, international business jobs, teaching english, starting online businesses, starting blogs, writing books, etc..
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
Teaching english or any foreign language will requiere to stay at the same place for a while (as far as I know most contracts are for 3-4months minimun, majority are for a year). I was thinking to teach french in China when I arrived but I quickly changed my mind when I realized that the time I would have for travelling would be during public holidays.
(03-26-2017, 03:37 AM)20Nation Wrote: I'm actually thinking about going into programming a bit. I can't depend just on this website and I want to live abroad. I think it's a good option. Other options would be ghost writing (just met a guy who does it and is really successful at it), online marketing, international business jobs, teaching english, starting online businesses, starting blogs, writing books, etc..

I'd suggest starting with Javascript. There is a lot of demand for people writing Javascript, and the plus side is it can be used both for server side scripting (Node.JS) as well as client side scripting. Many mobile apps are written in jQuery mobile (javascript library). More and more frontends are coded in Angular.JS and similar frameworks.  Even with libraries like jQuery you can do so many things. Possibilities are endless. It's easy to learn. And once you know Javascript it's also easy to learn PHP and C# because of similarities.
(03-28-2017, 02:07 PM)usmaniac Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 03:37 AM)20Nation Wrote: I'm actually thinking about going into programming a bit. I can't depend just on this website and I want to live abroad. I think it's a good option. Other options would be ghost writing (just met a guy who does it and is really successful at it), online marketing, international business jobs, teaching english, starting online businesses, starting blogs, writing books, etc..

I'd suggest starting with Javascript. There is a lot of demand for people writing Javascript, and the plus side is it can be used both for server side scripting (Node.JS) as well as client side scripting. Many mobile apps are written in jQuery mobile (javascript library). More and more frontends are coded in Angular.JS and similar frameworks.  Even with libraries like jQuery you can do so many things. Possibilities are endless. It's easy to learn. And once you know Javascript it's also easy to learn PHP and C# because of similarities.

I keep hearing different advice on this. What do you think about getting good in an up and coming language since I'm starting out anyway like the new IOS script?
(03-28-2017, 04:34 PM)20Nation Wrote: I keep hearing different advice on this. What do you think about getting good in an up and coming language since I'm starting out anyway like the new IOS script?

Of course, that's possible. But it limits your options to uhm... iOS. IOS native scripting means no android support. Use jQuery mobile and you have both. Plus allows a web app that doesn't necessarily require installation but has the same looks and feels.
Of course, native scripting is more powerful. But you have to be realistic, and it takes a lot of experience before you get to a level that requires it.  Besides, it doesn't let your app communicate with a server without writing serverside application, which you'd need to learn another language for.
With Javascript this can be done using Node.JS, thus using the same language.

Besides, let's be honest. If you want to get into app development, most of the apps are just web apps with an app icon.
Even the more known apps (that have their own dedicated developers). You could easily write Tinder in jQuery Mobile. Whatsapp as well, maybe not the calling part (i'm not that much of an expert), but certainly the chatting.  Most of Facebook app. Snapchat is where you start to need native coding.

Check out Adobe phonegap for example, if you want to focus on mobile development.
Guys why don't you think about overseas recruitment. It's very fun job and makes good money.
(03-28-2017, 09:45 PM)usmaniac Wrote:
(03-28-2017, 04:34 PM)20Nation Wrote: I keep hearing different advice on this. What do you think about getting good in an up and coming language since I'm starting out anyway like the new IOS script?

Of course, that's possible. But it limits your options to uhm... iOS. IOS native scripting means no android support. Use jQuery mobile and you have both. Plus allows a web app that doesn't necessarily require installation but has the same looks and feels.
Of course, native scripting is more powerful. But you have to be realistic, and it takes a lot of experience before you get to a level that requires it.  Besides, it doesn't let your app communicate with a server without writing serverside application, which you'd need to learn another language for.
With Javascript this can be done using Node.JS, thus using the same language.

Besides, let's be honest. If you want to get into app development, most of the apps are just web apps with an app icon.
Even the more known apps (that have their own dedicated developers). You could easily write Tinder in jQuery Mobile. Whatsapp as well, maybe not the calling part (i'm not that much of an expert), but certainly the chatting.  Most of Facebook app. Snapchat is where you start to need native coding.

Check out Adobe phonegap for example, if you want to focus on mobile development.

Interesting. thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
(03-25-2017, 12:24 AM)usmaniac Wrote: But some are really lazy as well. There was this other girl that knew someone who sold expensive bags on instagram. She brought them in from Europe, Japan and UAE. Then sold them with big profit in Ph. Now we set up a plan to do the same. I won't get into too much details, but i looked up some designer bags being sold by people that bought them but never used. She put them on IG and got lots of inquiries. Then she decided she didn't like answering all those people because it was boring and never sold a damn bag. Keep in mind that some bags were advertised with 800 euro profit if sold. What went wrong? She was lazy & didn;t depend on me too much. Few days later she said she wanted to invest 150,000 pesos to start a food cart franchise business. If she only sells one bag and we split, she would have gotten a 1 month food cart income. Choose them wisely.

The problem is the $800 bags in Philippines.  Most Filipinas don't even make that much in a month.
(03-30-2017, 01:18 AM)brianmark Wrote: The problem is the $800 bags in Philippines.  Most Filipinas don't even make that much in a month.

It's not $800 bags. It's $800 profit on the bags, so it's more like $2500 bags. The $800 bags can be sold with $100-200 profit from what I understand. I was surprised as well, but apparently they sell very easily there. The upperclass in Makati and BGC is pretty big and these women love to spend their money on designer bags. From what I understand a lot off them are in Real estate and Financial stuff, or their husbands are. Take a walk through Greenbelt 5 and you have a pretty good image of the women that would buy these.
Asians are crazy about luxury stuffs, even if they barely can or even cannot afford it, they will go for it. You will be surprised by the number of chinese farmers that buy Iphones even if it means sacrificing normal expense.
Everytime I go back to France, many Chineses ask me to buy stuff for them: bags, cosmetic, essential oils, perfum,... I make them pay slighty less than in chinese shop and I get the difference + tax refund (as I am a chinese resident). I won't do that as a full time job but I usually end up paying for my flight this way and get some extra money.
(03-30-2017, 02:41 PM)usmaniac Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 01:18 AM)brianmark Wrote: The problem is the $800 bags in Philippines.  Most Filipinas don't even make that much in a month.

It's not $800 bags. It's $800 profit on the bags, so it's more like $2500 bags. The $800 bags can be sold with $100-200 profit from what I understand.  I was surprised as well, but apparently they sell very easily there. The upperclass in Makati and BGC is pretty big and these women love to spend their money on designer bags. From what I understand a lot off them are in Real estate and Financial stuff, or their husbands are. Take a walk through Greenbelt 5 and you have a pretty good image of the women that would buy these.

I'll have to check it out, next time I'm at Greenbelt malls. I don't rub elbows with these rich Filipinas.  They're not looking for foreigner, so I'd never meet them.  I fish is the ponds that have the kind of fish I like.
(04-01-2017, 09:37 PM)brianmark Wrote: I'll have to check it out, next time I'm at Greenbelt malls. I don't rub elbows with these rich Filipinas.  They're not looking for foreigner, so I'd never meet them.  I fish is the ponds that have the kind of fish I like.
I disagree with that. They like foreigners as well in my experience. You just need to put in a little extra work. But I do understand your point. It's usually not my type of girls either.
Consider this. Get a basic safety courses for a seafarer. Costs less than 1k$ and takes few weeks time. Then go to a city with a busy Marina full of yachts. Speak to captains and look for work.

You won't make a lot but, you will get travel and adventure. And once you get some experience you could make it in a career.
Vinny the Instagram Casanova
http://www.igcasanova.com
Move your datasheets from RVF to Swoop the world!