How do you guys pack for long trips?
The first time I ever travelled I left for 6 months and was a backpacker. I used one of those camping backpacks that everybody uses. These days I always laugh when I see those.

The next time I travelled I used this backpack made by tom bihn https://www.tombihn.com/collections/back.../brain-bag. It was nice traveling light but sometimes it felt like I didn't have enough. When I visit developed countries I like to dress well.

After this I travelled pretty heavy, started bringing a large suitcase. That wasn't too pleasant.

Pretty soon I'm planning to leave the US and not come back for several years. I'm thinking to bring my large Rimowa which has to be checked in, and probably 1 smaller carryon bag with wheels. Going forward I'll likely be staying in the same place for at least 3-6 months at a time so it seems pointless to be too minimalist and wear the same shirt every other day. Having 2 suitcases seems like a lot, but if I'm only moving 2 or 3 times a year it probably won't be too big of a deal.

What type of luggage do you guys bring for long trips?
I travel like a spartan. Just a bag like this
https://www.globetrotter.de/shop/fjaellr...673-green/
Noone believes but it's enough, accompanied me over the whole world.
I just bring one medium size suitcase, non carry on usually when traveling to Asia. I find it hard to fit everything into a carry on suitcase. I think it's foolish to lug a giant backpack like backpackers do but I'm not a 20 year old kid, so to each their own.
For me, I travel with one 20kg suitcase and a nice sized backpack (not backpacker big). This is enough for me. In fact, I used to have a 25kg suitcase and it was too much of a hassle. The 5kg's less doesn't seem like a lot but after hauling it up and down stairs, it makes a big difference. It means I can travel light, pack up fast, but also that I have a wardrobe and all the necessities. I also like to keep all the most valuable things in my backpack with me (laptop, etc.). So that I can keep it safe at all times. I've been traveling for years and not backpacking style and imo this is the way to go.
Help support swoop, check out our books about travel and game: List of E-books
My own rule is I wanna be able to walk 3kms thru cities or jungles with all my travel belongings. That's a stupid rule and that's why I'm one of those guys using a hike style backpack Big Grin
But in your case, staying a few months in each country, go suitcases for sure.
A small backpack for all my important stuff (i.e. laptop) and hardcase for clothes, not too big. I started out with 20kg, but that slowly grew to 25kg with extra stuff. I need to drop that 5kg again somewhere because it's costing me in extra charges on cheap airlines. I don't like to travel with a backpacker style backpack, that's only useful for hiking or very specific travel plans. Not even once I've been in a situation where I wished I had a backpack in stead of a suitcase. If I want to go hiking I just leave the suitcase in the hotel / apartment and use my backpack.
I use a small backpack as well and a medium suitcase, the idea for the small back pack is like what THC pointed out Laptop and your bare essentials to freshen up a little.
Life is too short for the bullshit and mediocrity!!
American airlines are horrible when it comes to keeping track of luggage, one of the things I have wondered do other airlines do better at keeping track of luggage?
(03-16-2017, 01:01 AM)BarbarianFather Wrote: American airlines are horrible when it comes to keeping track of luggage, one of the things I have wondered do other airlines do better at keeping track of luggage?

I've taken a ton of flights over the past few years and I can only think of two or three times when my luggage wasn't there when I arrived. Each time it had been left at the previous destination. It's a pretty low percentage and I don't see any pattern. I think generally, budget airlines, especially smaller ones, have more issues.
(03-16-2017, 11:34 AM)20Nation Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 01:01 AM)BarbarianFather Wrote: American airlines are horrible when it comes to keeping track of luggage, one of the things I have wondered do other airlines do better at keeping track of luggage?

I've taken a ton of flights over the past few years and I can only think of two or three times when my luggage wasn't there when I arrived. Each time it had been left at the previous destination. It's a pretty low percentage and I don't see any pattern. I think generally, budget airlines, especially smaller ones, have more issues.
Along this lines, how about boarding or is the pain in the ass mostly just Stateside stupidity?  All my flying outside of the States for me has been with the military.
(03-16-2017, 07:14 PM)BarbarianFather Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 11:34 AM)20Nation Wrote:

Along this lines, how about boarding or is the pain in the ass mostly just Stateside stupidity?  All my flying outside of the States for me has been with the military.

It really depends on which country you are flying to and from. But overall, I would say USA is the most strict or one of the most strict in the world. So yeah it can be a pain. Some countries barely check anything, don't even have to take anything out of your pockets or take off your belt when they put your backpack through xray (i think they use xray technology).
Atlanta airport practically makes you strip to get through. not only your carry on gets x-rays but they have a human sized x-ray you have to walk through.
Only time I plan to get on a plane again here in the states is if I am leaving them. INCONUS I go by train or drive there.
I have light of lightweight clothing in my travel wardrobe and I bring a few disposable things each trip.
Be professional, be polite, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
throw a few shirts and shorts in a bag and get on with it
helping guys find the hottest girls at GuysNightlife
I only carry a 35-liter backpack. But then again I don't bring too much, no laptops, few electronics, and all of my trips have been vacations. If I were working remotely I'd bring a laptop and a few nicer clothes.