SwoopTheWorld
Where to stay long term in Tokyo? - Printable Version

+- SwoopTheWorld (https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Travel Forum (https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Where to stay long term in Tokyo? (/showthread.php?tid=770)

Where to stay long term in Tokyo? - Lager - 06-07-2019

I'm moving to Tokyo for work and I'm wondering what's a good neighborhood to live in?

I will be working as a software engineer in Shibuya and want to live in a nice place that will ideally have good logistics for meeting women. My job pays well, so the rent won't be a problem.

My background is that I'm an Eastern European mid 30s guy with below average looks and below average game. I don't speak Japanese, but I started learning and realized it's crazy hard. 

RE: Where to stay long term in Tokyo? - Tokyo Joe - 06-07-2019

Lager:

In your shoes, I’d be looking very closely at EBISU, which is just one quick stop from Shibuya on the Yamanote Line. It’s a very cool, hip neighborhood with superb restaurants, bars, cafes. There’s even an absinthe bar — typifying the general vibe of that area. The Ebisu name has strong cachet with chicks, so it will be easier to lure them to your hood for dates. 

Bonus: The Hibiya Line also runs through Ebisu, making for great logistics into central Tokyo. 

It’s not cheap, but you don’t seem to be financially pressed. 

More later. 

TJ

RE: Where to stay long term in Tokyo? - Lager - 06-11-2019

Thanks! I was thinking of Ebisu. What's your opinion about other locations, such as, Daikanyama, Hiroo, or Azabujuban? Is Ebisu much better?

RE: Where to stay long term in Tokyo? - TravelHardcore - 06-12-2019

(06-07-2019, 05:15 AM)Lager Wrote: I'm moving to Tokyo for work and I'm wondering what's a good neighborhood to live in?

I will be working as a software engineer in Shibuya and want to live in a nice place that will ideally have good logistics for meeting women. My job pays well, so the rent won't be a problem.

My background is that I'm an Eastern European mid 30s guy with below average looks and below average game. I don't speak Japanese, but I started learning and realized it's crazy hard. 

It's CRAZY hard, you need to take some serious shortcuts. If you're only going for a month not worth trying to learn it

RE: Where to stay long term in Tokyo? - Lager - 06-12-2019

I'm going to stay much longer than a month, probably around 2 years or more. Most people here will say that I should have gone there for a month to explore before deciding to move, but it wasn't an option for me. I'm moving based on job availability, salary, and some good opinions about Tokyo I read online and a short trip I did a few years ago.

I'm learning the language, so that I can deal with every day task like ordering food. It looks like good two years of learning to be able to have a fun social conversation (for me, I'm going to have a full time job that does not involve speaking Japanese).

RE: Where to stay long term in Tokyo? - 081287 - 06-12-2019

Looking forward to reading about your adventures gaming in Tokyo! I was there back in March and it made such an impression on me that I'm trying to spend as much of spring 2020 there as possible before the Olympics hit next summer.

If there isn't already there needs to be a Bang Japan thread, the one at RVF was 1,500+ posts.

RE: Where to stay long term in Tokyo? - Lager - 06-14-2019

I hope I'll have something to write about. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I have some concerns about Japan. I'm burned out from the current job, the one in Tokyo is going to be tough too, and I may simply not have enough energy for chasing tail. From what I read on various forums, Tokyo is not the kind of place where all you need to do is to show up and be white.

I have a plan B of chasing Chinese career women, who may prefer dating other expats rather than Japanese guys. I met one and I have a feeling there are more girls like her.

RE: Where to stay long term in Tokyo? - 081287 - 06-16-2019

(06-14-2019, 03:44 AM)Lager Wrote: I hope I'll have something to write about. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I have some concerns about Japan. I'm burned out from the current job, the one in Tokyo is going to be tough too, and I may simply not have enough energy for chasing tail. From what I read on various forums, Tokyo is not the kind of place where all you need to do is to show up and be white.

I have a plan B of chasing Chinese career women, who may prefer dating other expats rather than Japanese guys. I met one and I have a feeling there are more girls like her.

I had three dates with two different Japanese women that went nowhere worth mentioning, since they were supposedly looking for LTR material and I was only in town for two weeks.

That said, when I got back home I was still getting matches on the swiping apps and played along for a little while to see what I could get conceivably get if I were back in Japan. I'd say that of 20 matches, 5 were from western countries, 7 were Japanese, and 7 were Indonesian women working in Tokyo.

Based on my short experience in country, your short assessment that being white and Tokyo isn't enough is absolutely correct in my experience. You'll get the occasional Japanese person wanting to try their English, or strangers (rarely) asking where you're from. But if there ever was a white god period of time where Japanese girls threw themselves by the dozens around any western man, it was probably decades ago.

Unless you speak the language, you'll have lots of conversations that consist of your limited or non-existence Japanese, and their limited English abilities. The two girls I went on dates with spoke English with a very heavy accent, but had a wide vocabulary and understood English well when spoken to slowly.

I could also be wrong about everything I've written here because again, I only spent two weeks in Tokyo. I fucking loved that place though and I hope you make the best of your time there. Can't wait to return.