Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suit's Lifestyle Plan for September 2017
@ Suits,

When I was in Beijing, I was hanging out with foreign students, in Chaoyang, and I had a blast.
Since then I have been traveling in smaller cities (far from the level of Tianjin actually) and most of the people I have met there are depressed ESL teacher who are planning to leave at the first occasion or staying because they have nothing else better to do. From September to at least March, I will be located in one city (with probably short trips to Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou) so I will have more time to meet quality people.

@Dash

Same for me, just change "begin studying Vietnamese" by "being fluent on any topic in Mandarin" and "get in shape" to "keep decent shape while living a less nomadic life". That scare me: being at my desk writing and staying healthy, don't have a good experience during my Ph.D years
Beers are on me.
Sure, I take your word take your word for it.
Should have my first trip to Beijing end of october-early november. We will see by then.
And of course, that will mean that I survive the "make the laowai drunk on baijiu" dinner that my colleague will organize
(07-18-2017, 05:24 AM)TigerT Wrote: Sure, I take your word take your word for it.
Should have my first trip to Beijing end of october-early november. We will see by then.
And of course, that will mean that I survive the "make the laowai drunk on baijiu" dinner that my colleague will organize

I find that the best strategy is to drink faster than them and put them on the defensive.

Know you limit and bow out before you surpass it.

Don't mix baijiu with any other alcohol, especially low grade Chinese beer.
I have never been drunk-sick on baijiu and plan on keeping it this way. They are always drunk before me so we stop drinking before it gets too bad. And definitely cheer with them before they can cheer with you is a good strategy.
I should be fine to get one with you after that. Especially since dinner will be done by 8.30Pm
I start by finishing off the first glass by taking deep gulps. I go to "take a leak" after that and drink a liter of water secretly.

Once I'm one and a half glasses into the ordeal (and they've barely started their first, I start verbally accosting them for falling behind and encourage them to drink more speedily because friendship.

Works like a charm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Suits's post:
  • 20Nation
Reading your list Suits makes me feel like I'm in a time machine from my 20s! Except substitute "Seoul" for Beijing. I did many of things you did, like study the local language and teach English.

I went back to Canada for a professional career but couldn't get Asia out of my system, so I've been in Taiwan the last few years doing those same things again, and in a positive way. The quality of life here is quite good and it's very easy to date younger women.

I've enjoyed reading the posts from you and TigerT and others about life in China and Beijing in particular. It's fascinating because I've visited China a few times (including Beijing) and always ask myself if I could live there. I always seem to come down to the same conclusion, which is that more than location, what's important is a good job and good relationships. If I've got those two, then I can probably be happy anywhere.

I also agree with what you've written before, that after a period of nomadic lifestyle, if one wants to settle down abroad then location and situation become more important.

Also interesting to read what you guys have written about the quality of life differences between Tier 1 cities and the others. I used to love big cities but now don't really see the appeal of them. In Taiwan even small cities are lively and people pretty open and welcoming.

As for your list, those are great goals. My only feedback would be that a good exercise plan doesn't necessarily require a gym membership. I used to go to the gym but now do body strengthening exercises at a nearby park and in my place. Saves much time and I can do different ones almost everyday. Got a six pack now that girls here seem to like! Also, I don't know if I would want to take that much time off and jeopardize my employment and income. I find spending money on good quality weekend trips to be very satisfying and it lets me maintain my stable life. Though I hate cold so yeah maybe you need more time to escape Beijing, lol.

Cheers, and hope things keep getting better for you...
[-] The following 3 users Like Cliff's post:
  • Suits, BarbarianFather, whiteknightrises
(07-25-2017, 04:21 AM)Cliff Wrote: Reading your list Suits makes me feel like I'm in a time machine from my 20s! Except substitute "Seoul" for Beijing. I did many of things you did, like study the local language and teach English.

I went back to Canada for a professional career but couldn't get Asia out of my system, so I've been in Taiwan the last few years doing those same things again, and in a positive way. The quality of life here is quite good and it's very easy to date younger women.

I'm pretty serious about checking out Taiwan soon. The only reason I haven't already is because I'm waiting until I have a long enough block of time free to do it properly. I want at least a month to experience it properly, as the purpose of my visit would be to gather information to help me in deciding if it is a location that I could see myself settling long term.

(07-25-2017, 04:21 AM)Cliff Wrote: I've enjoyed reading the posts from you and TigerT and others about life in China and Beijing in particular. It's fascinating because I've visited China a few times (including Beijing) and always ask myself if I could live there. I always seem to come down to the same conclusion, which is that more than location, what's important is a good job and good relationships. If I've got those two, then I can probably be happy anywhere.

Agreed.

In the last two weeks, I've been transitioning out of my work focus routine of the last year and into a little more socializing and the effects on my happiness have been significant.

(07-25-2017, 04:21 AM)Cliff Wrote: I also agree with what you've written before, that after a period of nomadic lifestyle, if one wants to settle down abroad then location and situation become more important.

Also interesting to read what you guys have written about the quality of life differences between Tier 1 cities and the others. I used to love big cities but now don't really see the appeal of them. In Taiwan even small cities are lively and people pretty open and welcoming.

That's good to hear. My main goals in a long term location are the ability to meet and form relationships with people that I can relate to well and to be somewhere that healthy hobbies, like kayaking and hiking can be pursued with reasonable ease.

(07-25-2017, 04:21 AM)Cliff Wrote: As for your list, those are great goals. My only feedback would be that a good exercise plan doesn't necessarily require a gym membership. I used to go to the gym but now do body strengthening exercises at a nearby park and in my place. Saves much time and I can do different ones almost everyday. Got a six pack now that girls here seem to like! Also, I don't know if I would want to take that much time off and jeopardize my employment and income. I find spending money on good quality weekend trips to be very satisfying and it lets me maintain my stable life. Though I hate cold so yeah maybe you need more time to escape Beijing, lol.

I have no problems with exercising from home, but would like to include swimming in my routine, which makes a good gym important.