Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Vietnam Thread
After over a year in planning and waiting, I am finally relocating to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam today. The plan as of now is to at least stay one year. In case anyone doesn't know, the main reason I am moving here is to seriously date and look for a potential wife. I am 30 now and I am ready for the next chapter in life. Anyways, I will chronicle the journey and give intel on Vietnam and it's women. I have a nice girl I have been chatting with for quite some time now waiting on me. She is 20. Family is fairly well off. Father owns a business and has 3 houses throughout Vietnam. I am picky with personality traits so she has an uphill battle to pass my marriage requirement checklist. We will see though. I booked an Airbnb place in District 1 for 10 days. Ideally I would like to find a pay by the month studio apartment to hold me over until I get a job(s) and know where the most convenient area will be. Want to be centrally located. 

Order of priorities

1) Acquire a job
2) Find an apartment 

This will be my second time in HCMC. Came here a few years ago on a short trip.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dash's post:
  • Timmysands
Enjoy your time there Dash. I don't have a ton of experience there, but the week I spent there was amazing. Read about it here or in more detail my new book. I imagine you will be renting a scooter. I remember Vietnamese girls being the most attractive in South East Asia. Looking forward to some good stores.
It's quite an experience to drive a scooter in HCMC or even to just cross the road. 

[Image: trafficjam_iuya.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes TravelHardcore's post:
  • 20Nation
Lol that picture is insane.

I hear there is a method to the madness.

Which is to only worry about what is in front of you ie don't hit anything in front of you. Gives way to much trust other people, but seems to work for the most part.

Complete opposite of how I drive in the US.

Yea 20N, Vietnamese girls are just on a different level in terms of attractiveness overall in SEA.

I am super excited to live here. Sitting here in the departure gate and already seeing nice ladies.
(02-10-2017, 09:38 AM)Dash Wrote: Which is to only worry about what is in front of you ie don't hit anything in front of you. Gives way to much trust other people, but seems to work for the most part.

That's how to do it. You need to trust the traffic and don't worry about it; they're all used to it.
I love Vietnam.

Outside of the shit show at the airport waiting for visas, first night was great. Pro tip, try to get your visa put into your passport before arriving via VN embassy or something. Especially if you are coming by plane. It took forever at the airport. Also, bring cash for the visa. Don't be like me and assume they have atm's you can get money from. They had to let me go down to the 1st floor to get money. After that ordeal, I was pressed for time as I had a meet up set up for 10pm and by the time I left the airport it was 9:30pm. So I voluntarily allowed myself to get scammed by a taxi. Normal price from the airport is about 300k or less. Dude quotes me 900k. Tell him hell no and he goes down. I go down to 300k and he says best is 500k. I just want to get to the apartment so I agree. Then when we arrive he asks for another 500k. Dude must lost his mind.

Finally meet the girl I been chatting to since August. So sweet. English needs a little work but it is manageable.

Tomorrow gotta get a sim card. Find a laundry mat. And see a movie with this girl.
What's up guys. I'm moving to Saigon on Monday. Have visited before for about 2 weeks, which was awesome so looking forward to getting back.

I've been living in Thailand predominantly for the last couple of years so will be interesting to compare once I'm settled down.

I agree on Vietnamese women being the hottest in SEA. Also very sexual once you get them in private.

I will report back with some info after I land. Up for meeting up with any guys over in Saigon who are around
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hawkman's post:
  • 20Nation
Send me a pm Hawkman with your WA number if you wanna link up sometime.
Just got a mobifone sim and 1 month of data for 170,000 VND. Need to buy a new phone as well. This Nexus 5x heats up too much and completely blacks out from time to time. Gonna try to sell this and get a Samsung A5 2017 edition. Nice looking for 400 dollars.

Next up is apartment hunting. Gonna aim for D3. It seems to be the best and has a central location.
Vietnamese girls take much better care of their skin and appearance than their Southeast Asian counterparts.
Do not know what to do with this girl ive chatted to for so long and met my first 3 nights here.

I see a little too many imperfections physically. She is still very cute, but not quite where I would like her to be.

At the same time really like her personality. Sweet. Paying for things.

Girl is already hooked on me. Telling her we aint a good match is gonna make her pretty sad I think.

Damn, I am conflicted.
Can't get over these food prices.

.50 cents for a subway type sandwich (with meat)

1 dollar for meat and rice dishes

1 dollar for meat and noddle dishes

I could easily live off 3 dollars a day here

I imagine if I cooked myself it could be 1.50 dollars a day lol

Huge contrast from Korea where the cheapest meat and rice dish is gonna cost you 5.50 dollars.
(02-13-2017, 05:10 AM)Dash Wrote: Can't get over these food prices.

.50 cents for a subway type sandwich (with meat)

1 dollar for meat and rice dishes

1 dollar for meat and noddle dishes

I could easily live off 3 dollars a day here

I imagine if I cooked myself it could be 1.50 dollars a day lol

Huge contrast from Korea where the cheapest meat and rice dish is gonna cost you 5.50 dollars.

That sounds awesome. Would be curious to know what you spend a month in Vietnam. In the Philippines i stay below 1000$
I am thinking it will be something like this for 1 month

300 - Rent
150 - Food
150 - Party
50 - Dates
50 - Transportation

700 - Total
[-] The following 2 users Like Dash's post:
  • 20Nation, TravelHardcore
Damn that sounds great. Ive heard of English teachers in vietnam being able to save a ton of money just because of the low cost of living.